• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I will defer as I have not done any testing myself, but I have seen some presentations indicating that #4 Buckshot still preforms well in defense situations while going through less walls than 00 buck or .223. I do not know what the op's home situation is in that regards, there could be a couple miles of forest or an apartment with several children next door. Have you or anyone else with more shotgun experience than I have really dug into the effectiveness of #4? Thanks.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/02/robert-farago/shotgun-penetration-with-various-rounds/amp/

Here's a good source of info. Keep in mind that skin roughly equates to 4" of gel, and that projectiles may be going through clothes, barriers, or something like the threat's own arm in order to reach vitals. #4 is still a very solid choice, but I personally favor slightly more penetration.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I'm going to go against the grain here and advise you to buy a shotgun with a standard 28" barrel. It sounds like you're not a gun guy. Guns aren't dangerous but having a gun in the house where no one has experience operating it can be very dangerous. If you buy a "home defense" shotgun with an 18" barrel you won't be able to shoot it at a trap and skeet range. Even though shooting clay pigeons may seem intimidating, an outdoor range is a very good place to become accustomed to you gun. You'll want to be able to load it, operate the safety, and shoot it without hesitation. This happens best by shooting it regularly. Taking a shotgun to an indoor range is a dark, lonely, boring event. Taking it to shoot clay pigeons is invigorating.
    Some here will say that a 28" barrel is clumsy inside the home in a self defense situation. I say that it is much less clumsy than holding a gun that you aren't familiar with.
    A side benefit is that at your passing, someone will inherit a firearm that is useful for hunting, shooting clay pigeons, and home defense.

People here hate Dick's Sporting Goods but they'll be selling the Remington 870 on Black Friday for about $280.

There’s an excellent message here.

We can (and oh yes by God we will :)) debate the specifics of firearm type, brand and barrel length till the cows come home. All of these considerations pale in comparison to one truly central thought and theme.

Whatever you buy....SHOOT the damn thing! Get familiar with your purchase until it’s second nature!

If for whatever reason you’re not going to regularly shoot what you’ve bought, or what you’re thinking of buying, you’ve made or will be making the wrong choice.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For a HD the shotgun; I agree with a previous poster who says get a 20 gauge; less noise, easier to control.

Here's an unpopular option, but an option none the less; a 22lr revolver with a 5.5 or 6" barrel, like a Ruger GP100. Why?

1. It's quiet, your ears won't be ringing when you call 911
    2. Easy to shoot and easy to place shots where you want them, even with double action.
    3. Very reliable
    4. The longer barrel will allow the 22's to gain enough velocity to expand effectively.
    5. You have 10 shots.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Mossberg and Remington are great. I'd avoid the cheap Turkish guns that look pretty and run like shit.

I brought one of those Turkish Semi-Auto’s from Walmart at clearance for $150. It did run like shit. However I took the whole thing apart, removed a ton of crappy machining burrs and shavings then polished up some of the bearing surfaces. Works find now. However It’s not going to hold up to serious outdoor engagements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For the purposes of this thread , I will take the OP's inquiry at face value that he has taken his overall situation into consideration , and determined that a shotgun is viable for it's intended role , and discuss ammo within that context .

It's cliche, yet very true, that " birdshot is for the birds " . If you're going to use a shotgun , use buckshot or slugs .

#1 Buckshot is indeed theoretically the best balance of pattern density and penetration . BUT not nearly as available on the shelf , whereas Federal Tactical 00B is semi-commonly found . For me , the improved performance of proper * tactical buckshot * outweighs old school #1 B .

Ah , #4 Buck . A conditional nod . Pattern density is great , but the limited penetration gives it several astrix . In regions where bad guys wear long johns, cpl flannel shirts, and Carrhart or surplus field jackets much of the year, there have been real world instances of the pellets being stopped or severely slowed by such winter layers . And more distance limited . So if a " home defense " parameters includes engaging down a rural driveway , or large lawn , other choices are better . If "home" is actually limited to accross a room , in a climate no colder than central Md , it's probably viable .

Slugs are certainly effective , and a number of people with personal first hand experience swear by all slugs, all the time . Old school Foster style are prefered . Reportedly the usual deform and break up enough on solid torso hits to usually not exit . ( But if you miss, they zip thru drywall .)

20ga is definitely viable option , within the inherent distance limitations of #3 Buck . But not necessarily reducing recoil per se . The catch is that 20ga gun are frequently lighter than 12ga guns . So then 20g 2.75in high brass buckshot ends up being about same recoil as 12ga low recoil loads .

But for X % of smaller shooters, advantage still for 20ga , as the lighter weight of the gun is easier handling and aiming .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    WRT birdshot, we did a sporting clays class with an instructor who also taught tactical shotgun at FLETC.

Over lunch, someone asked about birdshot for tactical/HD use.

He started in. He said he taught his tactical classes to always carry 2 rounds of Winchester Super Handicap shells in 7 1/2 shot. At the time, they were the only super birdshot round commonly available.

He said, if the bad guy is hiding behind cover, like concrete wall, and peers around, a load of 00 could easily miss, due to the small exposed area. So a Super Handicap 7 1/2, would make the hit and take out the eye peering around. The second one was once you took out one eye, and he sticks his head further out to see, you take out the other eye.

He then stated, "When they are standing there with their optical jelly running down their face, it take the fight right out of them."

He then looked about, got a surprised look, and said, "Oops, wrong audience."

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    WRT birdshot, we did a sporting clays class with an instructor who also taught tactical shotgun at FLETC.

He started in. He said he taught his tactical classes to always carry 2 rounds of Winchester Super Handicap shells in 7 1/2 shot. At the time, they were the only super birdshot round commonly available.

He said, if the bad guy is hiding behind cover, like concrete wall, and peers around, a load of 00 could easily miss, due to the small exposed area. So a Super Handicap 7 1/2, would make the hit and take out the eye peering around. The second one was once you took out one eye, and he sticks his head further out to see, you take out the other eye.

He then stated, "When they are standing there with their optical jelly running down their face, it take the fight right out of them."

please tell me it was intended as a joke

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Why stop at bird shot? he should have pushed his students to fix a bayonet, and charge. Impaling your enemies takes the fight right out of them mo betta.

Sirex