• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I’m posting here so as not to exclude low-count posters.

From Facebook, yesterday.

Turbin Rick
    This was spotted in Sykesville off of Mineral Hill Road. Keep an eye out and watch your pets & kids! DNR will be notified tomorrow.

Attachments

• B11226F9-2EB4-42B3-9A29-0AC16699A172.jpg
      B11226F9-2EB4-42B3-9A29-0AC16699A172.jpg
      58.6 KB · Views: 3,960

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just a bobcat. Only ever seen one in all my time in the woods.

That is NOT a bobcat. Totally different body type, head/ears, etc. Google up some images, and you'll see. I've encountered bobcats a couple of times, once in a wooded strip of suburbia in Gaithersburg, of all places. They are unmistakable. The critter in that critter-cam shot is longer and taller. Torso is different, head profile different. Shame we can't see the tail, but it's academic.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD

No way that is a bobcat. That has the body of a mountain lion.

I’ve seen numerous bobcats in Frederick county, so there are plenty of them. Bobcats look like big cats with more fur and long hair on their ears. They don’t have long muscular bodies like mountain lions do.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Definitely not a bobcat! Appears to be a cougar and several have been spotted in Maryland over the last few years mostly in Harford County.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Any video? DNRs response? Dem kittys ain't supposed to exist here....

I would love to see a picture of a yard stick placed in the same place as the shoulders of that cat, for perspective....

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Have to agree that looks like a Mountain Lion. We had them around my hometown in southwest Texas. To see one in person is quite rare, we called them the ghosts of the mountains. They usually avoid humans at all costs, unless they are old or sick. They are ambush hunters, for the most part. They are quite beautiful animals in my opinion. Hopefully they will leave humans alone if they are making coming back to Maryland. I believe the males have a very large territory and defend it from other males. I'm not sure about the females. Is the Deer Population growing in Maryland?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

That is NOT a bobcat. Totally different body type, head/ears, etc. Google up some images, and you'll see. I've encountered bobcats a couple of times, once in a wooded strip of suburbia in Gaithersburg, of all places. They are unmistakable. The critter in that critter-cam shot is longer and taller. Torso is different, head profile different. Shame we can't see the tail, but it's academic.

Agreed. That is Not a bobcat. I saw one in Florida 2 weeks ago near my F-I-L's house.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Definitely not a bobcat! Appears to be a cougar and several have been spotted in Maryland over the last few years mostly in Harford County.

Lol. I'm sure bars on Main Street in Bel Air have Cougars but no 4 legged big cat cougar/mountain lion/puma are in Harford County.

Just my opinion.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Very cool. Definitely looks like a lion, sure would be nice for someone to take another shot with some object to validate size.

Hard to tell in the low light BW image, but the belly appears slightly doppled, which would be the only thing that would make me think it was a bobcat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom