• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Balanced
    Mar 11, 2009
    Hey all,

I've been doing some reading about storing ammo in magazines in case of emergency so they're ready to go. I was wondering if long term storage of ammo in magazines can create a problem. Can you overdo it?

I own a safe with 1 rifle and 3 handguns. My primary carry gun has one loaded magazine next to it at full capacity (8 JHPs), but the gun itself is not loaded. I figure the weight and pressure of 8 rounds in a magazine can't be too strenuous. However, with an XDM and 19 rounds sitting long-term, I would begin to worry that the magazine spring could fail.

Same thought for Pmags...I have a few 30 rounders. I'm debating about loading maybe two or three to full capacity but am worried because of the tension created inside the magazine.

Please share your thoughts on this matter and maybe chime in with how you go about doing the same in case of emergency. NB: I don't keep anything outside the safe unless I am carrying.

J.

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    the house gun is always loaded to capacity. i have a pmag with 30 rounds ready to go. I have many more magazines and as a habit i change out the mags monthly.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Its not a problem. A lot of us here store ammo in mags including myself. Constant loading and unloading is what wears out the springs in mags.

Jay

Balanced
    Mar 11, 2009
    the house gun is always loaded to capacity. i have a pmag with 30 rounds ready to go. I have many more magazines and as a habit i change out the mags monthly.

What do you mean by change out the mags monthly?

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    PMAG just says to use the cap if you are storing ammo

I have 2 of my dads original glock 9mm mags from Balt City PD and they are fine. They were always full and rarely fired... ughhh... they are still full and rarely fired!

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    i've had 1 springfield armory 1911 mag loaded with 7 rounds since about 1991. Only gets worked out during range visits. Still 100% reliable..

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    i've always heard you do more damage to the spring tension by constantly loading and unloading and changing mags. i don't know how many times it would have to be loaded/unloaded before you actually noticed a difference

i wouldn't load to full capacity but a few rds from there if you plan on them being stored long term.

Gun Nut

Oct 12, 2009
    keep them loaded this will not damage the springs. Springs get weak the more they are used..

Archangel

Jul 19, 2005
    i've always heard you do more damage to the spring tension by constantly loading and unloading

This is true. It is not compression that wears out springs, it is high # of cycles that does that.

i wouldn't load to full capacity but a few rds from there if you plan on them being stored long term.

Loading to capacity does not pose a problem, as it is within the design spec for the magazine. Now, if you managed to load 18 rounds in a 15 round magazine, then yes, the spring would be damaged because it is over-compressed. But it would not matter if it was left that way for 10 seconds or 10 months, once the spring is over-compressed, it is essentially "bent," and the damage is done.

Incidentally, the practice of taking a weak mag spring out of the mag and stretching it back out to try to fix it: just makes the spring fail that much faster.

Also keep in mind that springs are consumable items, and should be replaced periodically.

But long story short (too late), go ahead and load them to capacity and leave them stored that way. It won't cause any problems.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    I also agree with the others, keeping them loaded is not a problem. Again, it's the loading/unloading of them that wears springs out.

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    I keep my 3 mags for my 9mm loaded full w/ hydrashock hp they get unoaded enough just on range trips ( I hit md small arms indoor range at least 3 times a month)

I have no worries that they are ready and fail safe if needed

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Hey all,

I've been doing some reading about storing ammo in magazines in case of emergency so they're ready to go. I was wondering if long term storage of ammo in magazines can create a problem. Can you overdo it?

I own a safe with 1 rifle and 3 handguns. My primary carry gun has one loaded magazine next to it at full capacity (8 JHPs), but the gun itself is not loaded. I figure the weight and pressure of 8 rounds in a magazine can't be too strenuous. However, with an XDM and 19 rounds sitting long-term, I would begin to worry that the magazine spring could fail.

Same thought for Pmags...I have a few 30 rounders. I'm debating about loading maybe two or three to full capacity but am worried because of the tension created inside the magazine.

Please share your thoughts on this matter and maybe chime in with how you go about doing the same in case of emergency. NB: I don't keep anything outside the safe unless I am carrying.

J.

I was taught not load a 30rounder above 28 rounds. I have more then my share of 28rounders ready for a busy event.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    it depends on the quality of the mags. My Glock factory mags have been fully charged for 12 yrs + and no issues. They get dropped on the ground, pavement, grass whatever I just dust them off and recharge them

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Over the years of reading about the loaded mag question I have read from many people in the know about metalurgy and engineering what was already stated by others in this thread that it is not the compression that hurts the springs (as long as it is not over compressed) and it is the cycling. However, no one has mentioned yet the theory about bent casses.
    I read one theory that rounds kept under a lot of tension for too long will bend out of round and may cause feeding problems when you need it most. I believe this is why people change out their mags on a regular basis or rotate the bullets in the mags regularly.
    However, I have a feeling that in mags that are not under too much tension this would not be a problem. For instance my 1911A1 does not seem to have a lot of tension and I am not worried about the cases getting morphed, but in my CZ82 instead of the full 12 rounds I just keep 11 to remove some stress.

Archangel

Jul 19, 2005
    I read one theory that rounds kept under a lot of tension for too long will bend out of round and may cause feeding problems when you need it most.

Huh. I have never heard of that one before. Do you know if anyone has ever seen evidence of that happening, or is it a theoretical kind of thing?

I was taught not load a 30rounder above 28 rounds.

The origins of the 28-rounds-in-a-USGI-M16-mag theory is actually not to protect the mag. It is to make it easier (or in some cases possible at all) to seat the mag with the bolt forward. It would work with 29, but the doctrine is to load 28 so that the top round is always on the right on a full mag.

Note that newer mags like the HK and the Pmag are designed to seat on a closed bolt with 30 in the mag, so there is no need to download them.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    I have seen .22lr's bend when in the mag for long periods (from the rim pressing against the nest case), but not heavier cases. That doesn't mean it can't happen. I just haven't seen it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Huh. I have never heard of that one before. Do you know if anyone has ever seen evidence of that happening, or is it a theoretical kind of thing?
    I remember this being stated by some of the "experts" over either on THR or TFL forums four years ago maybe. It is a sound theory IMO, but in practice I have no idea if it is true. Some mags are a bitch to reload though because the spring tension is so strong and so therefore I will take their word for it just in case because I could kinda see it happenning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom