• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Never thought I would see that in the gun case. Stopped by Dunkirk Walmart on the way home, to see what is in the ammo case. Looking through the guns I spy an old friend. Marlin 1895SS 45-70. I have always loved lever guns, have two 1895 already, an SS and a GBL. Wanted to have a look at it, but of course no employees in sight. Curious to see how the newest Remington Marlins are looking like. Rifle is priced under $600 so that seems pretty fair. If you have never hunted with a 45-70, especially for hogs, it is pure joy. The cartridge is so much fun to handload, it is a real thumper. Just thought I would pass it along to anyone looking for this great gun.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    You still might be able to order one. If one wallymart has it for that price, shouldn't all nearby? Wait where the heck is Dunkirk?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You still might be able to order one. If one wallymart has it for that price, shouldn't all nearby? Wait where the heck is Dunkirk?

The coast of France.

No, I meant upper state New York. Near Buffalo.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Even a Remington $600 is fair in SS. I paid that much for a used one off a member here a couple years back. Now its a JM but.............that was also a couple years back.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Interesting. The Walmart in my town got a M1895 in 45-70 the other day and the clerk said it didn't last long at all. He showed me a list of rifles they can order and surprisingly the Ruger Mini-30 was on the list. They also had a ruger 10-22 Takedown for $320 and a Henry Golden Boy for $400.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    "About 6 miles south on Rt. 4 from MD 301 in Culvert County..... I mean Calvert".

You live in Glen Burnie and are making a funny about Calvert County...Now that is funny :)
    The Dunkirk store also has the Henry Golden boy .22 in stock for that price and it is a beauty, also they have the Ruger stainless 10/22 takedown for the price mentioned also.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    "About 6 miles south on Rt. 4 from MD 301 in Culvert County..... I mean Calvert".

You live in Glen Burnie and are making a funny about Calvert County...Now that is funny :)
    The Dunkirk store also has the Henry Golden boy .22 in stock for that price and it is a beauty, also they have the Ruger stainless 10/22 takedown for the price mentioned also.
    Took off today due to a sick dog.. Might venture over there..lol

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Capt, I do live in Glen Burnie but work in Calvert. I have been making the drive to Calvert Cliffs for more than 25 years now. I have spent enough of my life in Calvert I am qualified :D

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Never thought I would see that in the gun case. Stopped by Dunkirk Walmart on the way home, to see what is in the ammo case. Looking through the guns I spy an old friend. Marlin 1895SS 45-70. I have always loved lever guns, have two 1895 already, an SS and a GBL. Wanted to have a look at it, but of course no employees in sight. Curious to see how the newest Remington Marlins are looking like. Rifle is priced under $600 so that seems pretty fair. If you have never hunted with a 45-70, especially for hogs, it is pure joy. The cartridge is so much fun to handload, it is a real thumper. Just thought I would pass it along to anyone looking for this great gun.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

I've got the 1895G and 1895CB. Both in .45-70.

The 1895G has been used for hog. What a hoot to shoot!!!!!!!!

405 grains of lead hardcast SWC and a reasonable dose of RL-7.

"Goodness in brass!" :D

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I live in Calvert and work in Landover. Calvert might have it's share of hicks and a few wannabee thuggees but still the best place around this area to live. Glen Burnie.......You are a brave man.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    This was the first time I have seen 1895's at Walmart but I did not lots more Marlin .22's and bolt guns. Seems more Remingtons, too. Now I will keep an eye out for a 1894 n .44Mag.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    This was the first time I have seen 1895's at Walmart but I did not lots more Marlin .22's and bolt guns. Seems more Remingtons, too. Now I will keep an eye out for a 1894 n .44Mag.

I wonder if this is going to be generally seen in Walmart store - filling spaces once held by semi-automatic centerfire rifles with bolt and lever actions. Could have effects on pricing of those models that they decide to stock a decent inventory of.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Now if only I looked into that ammo cabinet and saw Hornady LeveRevolution .35 Remington, and 45/70 sitting on the shelf. I got surprised seeing .300 Blackout so you never know....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom