Local source for traditional longbow (Carroll County)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I have two young boys (11 and 13) that want to get deeper into archery. They've outgrown their bows and I'm looking for a local place to pickup a traditional longbow suitable for them. They are both big (tall) for their ages, but my #50 72" is too big.

Is there a place in northern MD (I'm in Eldersburg) that carries traditional bow equipment? Neither of them have an interest in compound, though the younger is very much interested in hunting eventually (which I really can't help him with).

I've been shopping online, but it's hard to tell what you're getting. I'd prefer to see before buying. Although I will take advice for online sources as well if you've had a good experience.

Thanks,

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    The Gun Shack in Mt Airy has longbows for sale. Probably not the cheapest around, but they have some for sale (at least they have every time I've been in there). Lancaster Archery probably does too, but that's outside of CarCo.

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I'll check out Gun Shack. Lancaster is a bit outside my AO.
    I really appreciate the response.

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    I have seen a few business trucks outside of Bowhunters Den this week. Not sure if he is having work done inside or has closed. Might want to call first.

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I heard from one of our customers he closed the shop and is just doing repairs and service out of his house.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I went by the shop today. Most definitely closed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    You might want to check with Baltimore Bowmen. It's a club north of Baltimore that is mostly trad shooters. They put on a big-time trad 3d rendezvous every May, usually the weekend after Mother's Day. There are tons of vendors and most everyone there is likely to let you or your boys try things out. If anyone in the area will know how to guide you, it'll be that club.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Checked out the stickbow website...not alot of content. I'll give a call though. Nothing wrong with keeping it local!

Thanks for the replies.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    How about Lancaster archery. Traditional stuff you are probably going to need to make the drive once and speak with the guys in the shop. Maybe get a riser with limbs on a take down bow for each. As they grow you can buy new limbs for the risers. The second part you can do online.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    How about Lancaster archery. Traditional stuff you are probably going to need to make the drive once and speak with the guys in the shop. Maybe get a riser with limbs on a take down bow for each. As they grow you can buy new limbs for the risers. The second part you can do online.

Rob, the OP had ruled out Lancaster...

I'll check out Gun Shack. Lancaster is a bit outside my AO.
    I really appreciate the response.

So that is why I recommended Stickbow Supply.

Personally, I think Lancaster would be the best choice, but it was off the table.

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Rob, the OP had ruled out Lancaster...

So that is why I recommended Stickbow Supply.

Personally, I think Lancaster would be the best choice, but it was off the table.

Not anymore...after some phone calls, I think Lancaster has what I'm looking for. They were quite friendly and helpful on the phone. I think I'll find some time to make the trip up there.

Are you fixed on longbows or open to recurve bows as well?

The guys at Lancaster kinda talked me into a recurve, I think. I might get a longbow and a recurve package just to mix things up. I'll still hear suggestions, though!

I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    OP here: Just for the fun of it I thought I'd post an update...

Picked up a Galaxy Sage takedown recurve from Lancaster Archery. #25 limbs to start. The boys love it.

I appreciate all the advice. There will be some followup questions, but I'll save those for other threads.

Thanks to all for the advice and input.

Attachments

• IMG_20191226_100411.jpg
      IMG_20191226_100411.jpg
      131.9 KB · Views: 169

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Let them get good for a while. After a while when they get better and need some variety try some different targets. I used to have blunts and shoot at a soccer ball. Kick the ball and then shoot at it. Varying yardage all the time. Tennis balls with field points, aim small miss small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom