• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Bump for anyone looking for a hunter safety class that can be used to get your MD hunting license.

soco

May 21, 2012
    hate to be a newb/idiot, but assuming I sign up for this course and complete it/get the certificate in the mail, then I go to DNR and file this with them?

Ask for a transfer to an in state license?

Or simply go about my business and when asked to produce documentation show them that card?

EDIT: so it seems I take this texas EDUCATION course, and then go to dnr for a maryland PERMIT. Right?

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    hate to be a newb/idiot, but assuming I sign up for this course and complete it/get the certificate in the mail, then I go to DNR and file this with them?

Ask for a transfer to an in state license?

Or simply go about my business and when asked to produce documentation show them that card?

I'd get the temporary certificate that you probably get at the end of the online course and take it to sporting goods section at Walmart and ask to buy a hunting license, and give it to them when/if they ask for your Hunter Safety card. I don't think there's any sort of transfer necessary.

If you're going to be bird hunting, you'll want a Maryland migratory bird stamp, and if you're going waterfowl hunting, you'll need the Federal waterfowl stamp as well.

That's the way way I'll do it when my son gets home from school for Christmas.

You can also get your license instantly online, though I'm not sure how they check your hunter safety status. You can get more information about that at these links:

Licenses, Stamps & Permits: http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/licenses-stamps-permits/

DNR Licensing and Registration Service: http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/service/

COMPASS Online Licensing and Registration System: https://compass.dnr.maryland.gov/dnrcompassportal

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    It has allowed me to add the temporary certificate number to my certificates on the compass site. And then add the hunter license to my shopping cart. I have not checked out yet because I dont know if I will have a chance to go hunting this season and dont want to spend the 24.50 until the govt shutdown is over. But I assume if it let me get this far, I will get to purchase the license.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    I'm bummed I just found this since I paid for my online ed for MD just this weekend :( I think if this means I can bypass the field day, it is worth the extra couple bucks. I will report back on my status.

Phil I Am

Sep 16, 2009
    Loudoun County, Virginia.
    If its an approved hunters ed course...by the state of TX they (MD) should. The only question right now is if you have to be a resident of TX to take that course or if anyone over 17 can take it...

I am hoping you are correct. but the online HQL application does have any place to input an out of state safety course information.

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    Doesn't MD need a field day? TX online doesn't require a field day.

I sat there with my wife for hours as she did the TX hunter safety course. After completion you get a temporary TX hunter education card and number.
    Next go to Maryland DNR compass enroll/log in. Input all personal information. There is also a place to input certifications, this is where you put in your temporary TX hunter education number.
    Then add MD hunter license to cart. Checkout. Print your MD hunting license.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Yeah, like OrangeSpear says, there is no need to do anything MD related except buying your license. Whether you do that in the store or online is up to you. When you get your License at the store for the first time, you will also have a DNRid assigned to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom