• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Sorry I don't have a pic, I've asked for one.

My question is: An all matching, preserved Garand from WWII in beautiful condition would be worth what?

No idea on maker or #'s or anything. I saw a pic of it and the story is a buddy dad's rifle that he wants to sell.
    He wanted 1000 and is now asking for 800. The guy is driving there on Sunday!

Too good to be true, but this guy surprised me before with a WWII all matching Mauser.

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    If it is truly all matching with an original barrel it is easily worth double the asking price. Hope you get lucky and it is. Even without matching parts, $800 is a semi-decent price all by its own.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    It would be worth a lot more than he is asking.... even a mix master M1 would go for 800, all original is hard to say since there’s a lot of factors that influence value but a lot more than 800, does sound a little too good to be true

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    OK thanks gents. I asked him to get pics of all the numbers and markings. I know he'll buy it as he wouldn't let me go with him! Some folks get all the luck!

Attachments

• Garand.jpg
      Garand.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 521

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    She looks refinished.

Yeah, the picture isn’t high enough quality to tell, but it looks refinished, which detracts a lot from the value.

That said, if it is the original stock and all matching parts with original barrel and low barrel wear it is still worth more than $800.

A basic comparison is what CMP is selling them for. A service grade is $750 and a select grade is I think $1050. My service grade is close to as good quality as what is in your picture, except it is a new walnut stock. Not sure if mine has an original barrel or not (HRA 1955 receiver and 1955 SA barrel. I don’t know the history of HRA manufacture to know if they made their own barrels or made the receivers and sourced parts from others).

Private sales most Garands tend to start around $1000 unless in really bad shape.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yeah, the picture isn’t high enough quality to tell, but it looks refinished, which detracts a lot from the value.

That said, if it is the original stock and all matching parts with original barrel and low barrel wear it is still worth more than $800.

A basic comparison is what CMP is selling them for. A service grade is $750 and a select grade is I think $1050. My service grade is close to as good quality as what is in your picture, except it is a new walnut stock. Not sure if mine has an original barrel or not (HRA 1955 receiver and 1955 SA barrel. I don’t know the history of HRA manufacture to know if they made their own barrels or made the receivers and sourced parts from others).

Private sales most Garands tend to start around $1000 unless in really bad shape.

The $1050 select grade has new production furniture and barrels, in addition to everything being refinished if it isn't new or NOS.

Having a GI stock would help its value over a new stock. Lately, I've been seeing M1s on the secondary market starting at $800 rather than $1000.

HRA did make their own barrels, but they also used SA and LMR barrels. I believe Scott Duff wrote that HRAs used SA barrels very early and then again relatively late in production.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Buy the gun, not the story.

$800 isn’t a bad price regardless of the provenance if it’s generally in decent shape.

I’d say you probably won’t go too wrong at that price...and might just get a steal (although from what I see and others have said, it doesn’t look like it matches the story).

My bet, it’s fairly priced but NOT a steal.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    But to answer your question cmp is selling original correct WWII rifles for $3000.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Garand $800 unless its got a mechanical issue or the bore is gone and muzzle greater than 2.5 (e.g., nearly swallowing a bullet) sounds like a grab.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Is there really a such thing as a matching Garand? Correct Garand yes. Matching would involve at least 2 serial numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    So the sumbitch tells me today he'll pick it up on the 4th. Also, 20 clips and 200 rnds of M2 ammo for $1050. I'm desperately trying to trade, but all he says is I can come down and shoot it! grrrr

He said he'll take many pictures for you guys to go over.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    To be clear, there's no such thing as an "all-matching" Garand. There is such a thing as a "correct" Garand. There are something like 57 components, most of which bear a drawing number and/or a heat lot number that would need to fall within a certain serial number/date range to be "correct." There is no way to tell if a rifle is "original" - I think that finding an "original" M1 Garand would be highly unlikely. A correct WW2 Garand in nice shape is worth much more than $800. Anything else is, generally speaking, worth no more than the price at which CMP is currently offering mix-masters in similar condition. People want the CMP certificate when it comes to a mix-master.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom