• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The troopers that do the interviews at the barracks do not make such decisions. The Sgt at the handgun division said that the applications will be processed under the 90 day rule (90 working days). (You know they're not going to issue them any sooner then neccessary.) I took that to mean that if the stay is lifted, permits will be mailed out, likely aftsuch reasoner 90 days. I would then assume that if the stay is not lifted, the denial letters will be sent instead.

Bullying pure and simple.

Seems the trooper doesn't even listen to his own boss. :mad54:

Page 3 of 8:
    The MSP would not deny permits to individuals who decline to provide any such reason or who fail to demonstrate GSR

http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.mdd.180772/gov.uscourts.mdd.180772.68.1.pdf

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    Had my interview this morning at the Pikesville location. My interviewer was not a trooper but was pleasant to talk to. I got the impression that she wasn't happy with all of the extra work she has had to do but she was still nice about it. She said they are operating under the old rules still until they hear otherwise and said that I should expect to hear something one way or the other within 90 business days. She spoke to my references already so at this point I guess its hurry up and wait.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Had my interview this morning at the Pikesville location. My interviewer was not a trooper but was pleasant to talk to. I got the impression that she wasn't happy with all of the extra work she has had to do but she was still nice about it. She said they are operating under the old rules still until they hear otherwise and said that I should expect to hear something one way or the other within 90 business days. She spoke to my references already so at this point I guess its hurry up and wait.

I am just curious, people here have said that MSP has said they are operating under the old rules, then hypothetically, they would be denying folks for not having G&S reasoning, now again that is if they are operating under the old rules. So why would they just shelve your application and wait the 90 days?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I am just curious, people here have said that MSP has said they are operating under the old rules, then hypothetically, they would be denying folks for not having G&S reasoning, now again that is if they are operating under the old rules. So why would they just shelve your application and wait the 90 days?

Either the troopers are clueless or the message was lost in translation.

I'm thinking "lost in translation", because the boots on the ground have to go through the same old grind.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    Somebody more familiar with the statute take a look....Does it have a definition for "day"?

90 calendar days is not 90 business days. Unless the statute specifically states business days, then it is calendar days.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Merlin was most recent a cpl pages back in speculating about the potential inferences about training , other permits , or actual exercising of other permis.

That can just as easily go either way. In a flow chart breakdown I can think of more negatives impressions than positives.

Since it is not presently a requirement , or asked on the application , I would not bring it up unless/ until directly asked.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I had my interview on Friday 04/20/2012 in Anne Arundel County.

I met with the State Trooper in person out front at a nearby local business. The Trooper was very nice and made the interview quick.
    From what I can remember here are the questions that he asked...

1. Have you ever been arrested/convicted/charged of a crime?

2. Have you ever been arrested/convicted/charged of a crime in another state?

3. Do I drink and to what level? Light/Social/Heavy

4. Have you ever been threatened before?

5. Do you or have you ever used drugs?

6. How many firearms do you currently own/keep inside your home?

7. Asked if I was married and for my Wife's contact info.

8. If I had any permits in any other states.

He made a statement after asking if I had been arrested about my driving record. He stated that my Driving Record was interesting and smiled. I told him we were all young at on point and I was young at one time as well.
    I explained that I have had a few warnings recently for no front plate on my vehicles, but that is it. (my driving record was bad when I was in High School 15+ years ago as I liked to speed and such, but never anything serious beyond traffic violations)

He also said that I will most likely get a letter offering me to provide a G&S reason and appeal to the board, as my permit along with others will be denied due to the stay in place. He said that the permits will not be shelved to wait for a decision, and it will be denied if I do not provide a G&S reason, but may re-apply once the court ruling takes place.
    He was very professional and friendly and discussed the court case without me bringing it up. If anyone has any questions, just let me know!

As much as aI hate to say it this is what I thought they would do. A few of the guys thought that maybe the MSP were shelving the app's because of how much time seems to have gone by. I think this time that has passed so far is the MSP normal pace and as long as that stay is in place they will not give out CCW's for "for self defense and all lawful purposes".

When the courts tell them to stop or they can get into trouble for using G&S is when they will stop using G&S. and not a day sooner.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Whether the interviewer is pleasant or curt with an applicant, it doesn't change the end result, as expressed in bold above by the Trooper. The St.of MD has a different view than the other 40+ "shall issue" states and denial is the objective, and they'll keep your money as well.:tdown:

I'm sure that when this temp stay is lifted the next stay will be in effect a day or two after. My biggest fear is that we will not get 2 out of the 3 judges in the 4th to want to be responsible for changing the way Maryland does business no matter how much they think Maryland is wrong.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Somebody more familiar with the statute take a look....Does it have a definition for "day"?

90 calendar days is not 90 business days. Unless the statute specifically states business days, then it is calendar days.

The lady at Pikesville specificly stated they would be going by "WORK DAYS". Don't fight it as that's to your advantage in not having your app denied prior to a ruling on the stay by Judge Legg. If you're looking for a fight at the review board, then jump on the calendar day bandwagon. After all, they have the right under the stay to simply deny them right now unless you meet G&S.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    The lady at Pikesville specificly stated they would be going by "WORK DAYS". Don't fight it as that's to your advantage in not having your app denied prior to a ruling on the stay by Judge Legg. If you're looking for a fight at the review board, then jump on the calendar day bandwagon. After all, they have the right under the stay to simply deny them right now unless you meet G&S.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I have been saying this all along. NOW if your 90 business days are up AND there is no stay in effect then by all means hound them about it. My 90 business days are in July and thats what I will do if there is no stay.

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    just got the phone call to set up my interview on May 10th. For my wife and I.

I missed their first call and I wasnt able to call them back over the weekend. They called me again today and this time i was able to answer. They werent happy with me for not returning their phone call and they told me "you must not want this permit bad enough"

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus

I missed their first call and I wasnt able to call them back over the weekend. They called me again today and this time i was able to answer. They werent happy with me for not returning their phone call and they told me "you must not want this permit bad enough"

Wow! It sounds to me that they are being judgemental about everything - even how fast you call back. I guess they are never busy except at work. They want you to call back immediately but then they want to take 90 days to make a decision.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.

Must be a hot headed trooper. I hate when they act like you should drop everything for them because they had to leave a message.:mad54:

I think I would have had to return that with " Sorry but my mother was on her death bed and she passed yesterday. Now that she is out of the way I will be able to devote all my time to you." LOL just kidding of course

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I find it interesting that some of you are being called in with your spouse. When I scheduled my interview, she asked if I was married and got my wife's phone number, but said nothing of her joining me for the interview. Hopefully I don't get yelled at for not bringing her with me.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    I find it interesting that some of you are being called in with your spouse. When I scheduled my interview, she asked if I was married and got my wife's phone number, but said nothing of her joining me for the interview. Hopefully I don't get yelled at for not bringing her with me.

It may be that they both applied for a permit. Might just be doing the interviews at the same time.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC

did your wife also apply for a permit?

I think the interviews with the wife are for people where both applied, or the wife just happened to be with them when they went for the interview.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Exactly right....... The longer they take, the better chance there is that the temp. stay will be lifted by then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom