• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is no mention in the Portal guide that your SSN is optional.

Attachments

• social.jpg
      social.jpg
      26.5 KB · Views: 696

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i see that now. but it's not on the old paper 77r

ETA_I apologize people. I went and pulled a paper copy of a 77r, not the pdf I was looking at and it does indeed say optional.

Mea culpa to all.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I just became my LGS's Guinea Pig for the new system, seemed pretty painless but I still had to fill out a paper 4473 for the store records.
    Now I wonder if it will update the process of the background check, guess I'll keep an eye on the portal.

Why did they want you to fill out a paper copy? Shouldn't they be able to print a copy after they enter their part on the website?

Are they just being cautious since this is all new? Maybe they don't have a printer?

Seems like that defeats the purpose of having the process digitized... At least from the customer perspective.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Why did they want you to fill out a paper copy? Shouldn't they be able to print a copy after they enter their part on the website?

Are they just being cautious since this is all new? Maybe they don't have a printer?

Seems like that defeats the purpose of having the process digitized... At least from the customer perspective.

I guess it has to do with federal law, seems that they must keep a copy of the 4473 for 20 years, MSP does the NICS check when they do the Maryland version of a colonoscopy, then they let the dealer know the federal NICS number so they can record it on the 4473 form.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012

There in lies the problem. This system was never intended to be beneficial to the customer. The benefit is to the MSP lic division to make their job easier.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I guess it has to do with federal law, seems that they must keep a copy of the 4473 for 20 years, MSP does the NICS check when they do the Maryland version of a colonoscopy, then they let the dealer know the federal NICS number so they can record it on the 4473 form.

I was mixing up the federal 4473 and the MD 77r. It makes sense why you did a paper 4473. Disregard. Nothing to see here...

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    4473's are retained as long as the FFL is in business. Returned to BATFE when the FFL stops doing business

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2016-title27-vol3/xml/CFR-2016-title27-vol3-sec478-129.xml

They can dispose of them after 20 years
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-12/download
    Section 12.7 Record retention period. The regulations provided under the NFA, specifically 27 CFR 479.131, provide that the retention periods for required records shall be in conformity with the requirements specified under Part 478. As provided by Part 478:
    (1) Records of firearms transactions maintained by licensed importers and licensed manufacturers must maintain permanent records of the importation, manufacture, or other acquisition of firearms.197
    (2) Licensed importer’s and manufacturer’s records of sales or other disposition of firearms over the age of 20 years may be discarded.198
    (3) The A & D Records prepared by licensed dealers and licensed collectors over 20 years of age may be discarded.
    (4) All FFLs shall retain each Form 4473 and 4473(LV) for a period not less than 20 years from the date of sale or disposition of the firearms. Forms 4473 obtained by FFLs where the NICS check was initiated, but the sale, delivery, or transfer of the firearm was not completed must be retained for a period of not less than 5 years.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom