• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Does anybody have access to the hunter education course book. My 8 year old son wants to take the course and the related exam, but I would like to review the course book and have him review it too before we take the class together. Essentially, I want to prepare him for the exam and the field day ahead of time.

If anybody has the course book in pdf format, can you please e-mail it to me at fabsroman@aol.com. Thanks

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Thank you very much. I just left a voicemail with DNR asking for a pdf file of the coursebook, but this will probably work better for him. He can look at all of that on his tablet. He is so excited to go hunting. Reminds me of when I was his age. My soon to be 5 year old daughter is pissed that she cannot take the course and go hunting, but I told her she cannot take the course until she learns how to read and write. Now, she is bugging me to teach her how to read and write. lol

Took the two of them fishing for the first time a couple weeks ago. Probably should not have considering my health status, but their smiles and the pics were worth the pain. They caught their first fish together, which was a 2 inch croaker. They caught another croaker after that. I got nothing. They were so excited. Now, they both want fishing birthday parties. No idea how I am going to accomplish that, but I guess it can be done.

Thanks again for the link.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    FWIW when I took my 8 year old to the class I sat next to him and let the teacher do the teaching. During breaks I'd review or emphasize something I thought was important. I wanted him to hear it from someone other than dad.
    If he fails, let him fail. He'll be sure to learn it the next time around.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Thank you very much. I just left a voicemail with DNR asking for a pdf file of the coursebook, but this will probably work better for him. He can look at all of that on his tablet. He is so excited to go hunting. Reminds me of when I was his age. My soon to be 5 year old daughter is pissed that she cannot take the course and go hunting, but I told her she cannot take the course until she learns how to read and write. Now, she is bugging me to teach her how to read and write. lol

Took the two of them fishing for the first time a couple weeks ago. Probably should not have considering my health status, but their smiles and the pics were worth the pain. They caught their first fish together, which was a 2 inch croaker. They caught another croaker after that. I got nothing. They were so excited. Now, they both want fishing birthday parties. No idea how I am going to accomplish that, but I guess it can be done.

Thanks again for the link.
    Good for her .. gives her incentive to learn to read and write.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    FWIW when I took my 8 year old to the class I sat next to him and let the teacher do the teaching. During breaks I'd review or emphasize something I thought was important. I wanted him to hear it from someone other than dad.
    If he fails, let him fail. He'll be sure to learn it the next time around.

I agree he needs to listen in class. He is motivated, so I doubt this is going to be an issue for him. He wants to come hunting with dad and nonno. However, if he cannot get an 80% on the exam, that is his problem. It will also be the first exam he does not do well on, but if it is the case, it will be a good life lesson. Kind of like me failing the motorcycle learners permit exam because I skipped the drinking and driving portion of the course book since I don't drink. Lo and behold, there were DUI questions on the computer exam. Probably best I never got the learner's permit.

Thing is, he believes what I say is gospel, so I want to make sure I am telling him what the teacher/course will tell him. He is asking a lot of questions, as all 8 year old kids do, and I want to make sure I am giving him answers that mesh with the coursework.

The part that worries me the most is the field test. He has not had enough time behind a gun, so I need to try and remedy that over the next couple of weeks.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You have another option available this year. Apprentice hunting, the child cannot hunt alone if they have an apprentice hunting license. Can only hunt 1 year in their life time.

What to do (step by step instructions): http://dnr.maryland.gov/nrp/Pages/Apprentice-Hunter-License-DNR-ID.aspx

The 8 question test with videos: http://dnr.maryland.gov/nrp/Pages/Apprentice-Hunter-License-Test.aspx

I saw that, but I think I would prefer for him to get the Hunter Safety Course card and an actual license IF he can pass the course. The apprentice hunter program is a decent program to see if hunting interests a person before going through a 10+ hour course, but I already know he is extremely interested in it. He was bugging me all of last year and the year before that.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Field test:. If he doesn't break the firearms handling/safety rules.. he be gtg.

Practice with a toy rifle or alike.. keep finger of the trigger and watch where he points the muzzle.. the rest is just overview what's learned in the class.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Field test:. If he doesn't break the firearms handling/safety rules.. he be gtg.

Practice with a toy rifle or alike.. keep finger of the trigger and watch where he points the muzzle.. the rest is just overview what's learned in the class.

He's been shooting before, and he knows what the firearms rules of safety are. It is the live fire part that I am worried about. He knows how to load the 20 gauge Beretta 391, but that is about all he has ever shot. I was going to take him to a range and let him shoot my 10/22, but reading through all the courses, it appears that some of the courses provide the firearm and ammo.

I was thinking about attending the Sanner Lake one in November, but that is his last soccer game, so that is probably out. Hardest part of all of this might be working the course into his/my schedule. Soccer, drama club, school, possibly band, etc. Life is just too complicated.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    He's been shooting before, and he knows what the firearms rules of safety are. It is the live fire part that I am worried about. He knows how to load the 20 gauge Beretta 391, but that is about all he has ever shot. I was going to take him to a range and let him shoot my 10/22, but reading through all the courses, it appears that some of the courses provide the firearm and ammo.

I was thinking about attending the Sanner Lake one in November, but that is his last soccer game, so that is probably out. Hardest part of all of this might be working the course into his/my schedule. Soccer, drama club, school, possibly band, etc. Life is just too complicated.

He will be fine. The instructor should give the students a range briefing on shooting either a 22LR bolt action, or Remington 11-87, and their safe operation.

Only state issued firearms and ammunition can be used for insurance purposes. Eye and ear protection are provided, but you can bring your own.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    He will be fine. The instructor should give the students a range briefing on shooting either a 22LR bolt action, or Remington 11-87, and their safe operation.

Only state issued firearms and ammunition can be used for insurance purposes. Eye and ear protection are provided, but you can bring your own.
    You forgot some have air rifle..

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If you want to get him to a range, I'm just a call/text away. We can also take him hiking with a rifle at the same location so he can get used to handling a rifle "in the field" as it where. Plus I can hand you some stuff for review for my world domination plan.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I saw that, but I think I would prefer for him to get the Hunter Safety Course card and an actual license IF he can pass the course. The apprentice hunter program is a decent program to see if hunting interests a person before going through a 10+ hour course, but I already know he is extremely interested in it. He was bugging me all of last year and the year before that.

Yeah, my oldest is in the position I'll probably have him do the apprentice license. Just not sure with him on actual interest level. His younger brother I am positive he'd barrel right in to it and love it.

My wife actually was fine letting my oldest go to the range with me a couple of months ago for the first time. Tore the center out of the target at 25yds with my 10/22 and did pretty good at 50 as well. Only a 1-4x scope on it and he was a perfect listener. Wants to go back. I talked to my wife yesterday and she is okay with him going hunting with me this year. I'll take him on an afternoon/evening deer hunt. He was sold when I told him he could bring a book and sit and read. I figure pick a day it isn't super cold and find a spot that looks likely back either in Potapsco or over in Patuxent. Heck, I saw a spot or two in Hugg Thomas I may want to check out again this year if it is still bow season when I can get him out.

When I told him it would be later in the season he said that was fine. Today he was asking if I could take him next week when he is off from school!

So maybe he will learn to love it quickly. I think next week I'll just stick with taking a few hours off work and taking him back to the range.

Worse comes to worse I can take him one afternoon during winter break to go deer hunting.

If he seems fine with it, I'll maybe try to get him out turkey hunting in the spring and if still good to go get him actually hunting next fall starting with squirrels probably.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yeah, my oldest is in the position I'll probably have him do the apprentice license. Just not sure with him on actual interest level. His younger brother I am positive he'd barrel right in to it and love it.

My wife actually was fine letting my oldest go to the range with me a couple of months ago for the first time. Tore the center out of the target at 25yds with my 10/22 and did pretty good at 50 as well. Only a 1-4x scope on it and he was a perfect listener. Wants to go back. I talked to my wife yesterday and she is okay with him going hunting with me this year. I'll take him on an afternoon/evening deer hunt. He was sold when I told him he could bring a book and sit and read. I figure pick a day it isn't super cold and find a spot that looks likely back either in Potapsco or over in Patuxent. Heck, I saw a spot or two in Hugg Thomas I may want to check out again this year if it is still bow season when I can get him out.

When I told him it would be later in the season he said that was fine. Today he was asking if I could take him next week when he is off from school!

So maybe he will learn to love it quickly. I think next week I'll just stick with taking a few hours off work and taking him back to the range.

Worse comes to worse I can take him one afternoon during winter break to go deer hunting.

If he seems fine with it, I'll maybe try to get him out turkey hunting in the spring and if still good to go get him actually hunting next fall starting with squirrels probably.

You know my son. He has been asking to come with me in the duck blind since he was 4. I went dove hunting with my dad, just to accompany him, when I was 5. He has gone dove hunting with my dad a couple of times, but my dad is not the shot he once was. I might be able to get out and dove hunt this weekend or maybe some time next week if all goes well. I'll probably bring him along to see what it is like when somebody actually connects on a bird. I can pick him up from school and be at the farm by 4:15. Should be prime time right before they head off to roost.

Don't take your son deer hunting in late season. It will most likely be cold and there might be no action at all. Nothing like boring the kid to death and/or freezing him to death. I took my son and youngest daughter fishing a couple weeks ago and they caught their first fish. They actually caught two over a two hour time frame. I had my two oldest writing papers each Monday to me over summer break, and my son wrote about fishing. In it, he wrote that they had to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait before they caught a fish, and then they had to wait, and wait, and wait before they caught another. Me, I didn't catch a single thing that day and when I was young, I was turned off to fishing because we never caught anything. My dad was terrible at fishing. Terrible at waterfowling too. Did not get good at waterfowling until I met a guy in law school and we started hunting and shooting together and I started reading everything I could get my hands on about waterfowling.

Anyway, we can chat about this the next time I see you. Maybe we can arrange some type of canned upland hunt on the eastern shore in late October, early November, for the boys to participate in. Lots of walking and lots of shooting. It would most likely be an all day event though.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Thought I would share this with you guys. Last night, my son started watching the videos at the link that Inigoes posted. He came into my office and asked, "Dad, do you have to get a hunting license every year?" My response, "Yes" Son then asks, "Does it get harder and harder every year?" I had to explain to him that he only had to pass the hunter safety class once in his life but that he had to buy a new hunting license every year, and that the hunter safety course was just required to buy the hunting license. So, he says, "Ok, so I only have to take this class once if I pass?" My response, "Yes". His next question, "Where am I going to get the money to buy a hunting license every year?" Imagine his relief when I told him that I would pay for his hunting license until he turns 20. Huge smile on his face.

Think I am looking forward to this hunter safety course just as much as he is.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You get a little bit of a reprieve.

Upon successful completion of a Hunter Education class, participants under 16 years old gets a gratis hunting license from Maryland DNR. Meaning he can go small game, deer, and turkey hunting for free.

You will still need to by the federal waterfowl stamps.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You know my son. He has been asking to come with me in the duck blind since he was 4. I went dove hunting with my dad, just to accompany him, when I was 5. He has gone dove hunting with my dad a couple of times, but my dad is not the shot he once was. I might be able to get out and dove hunt this weekend or maybe some time next week if all goes well. I'll probably bring him along to see what it is like when somebody actually connects on a bird. I can pick him up from school and be at the farm by 4:15. Should be prime time right before they head off to roost.

Don't take your son deer hunting in late season. It will most likely be cold and there might be no action at all. Nothing like boring the kid to death and/or freezing him to death. I took my son and youngest daughter fishing a couple weeks ago and they caught their first fish. They actually caught two over a two hour time frame. I had my two oldest writing papers each Monday to me over summer break, and my son wrote about fishing. In it, he wrote that they had to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait before they caught a fish, and then they had to wait, and wait, and wait before they caught another. Me, I didn't catch a single thing that day and when I was young, I was turned off to fishing because we never caught anything. My dad was terrible at fishing. Terrible at waterfowling too. Did not get good at waterfowling until I met a guy in law school and we started hunting and shooting together and I started reading everything I could get my hands on about waterfowling.

Anyway, we can chat about this the next time I see you. Maybe we can arrange some type of canned upland hunt on the eastern shore in late October, early November, for the boys to participate in. Lots of walking and lots of shooting. It would most likely be an all day event though.

That sounds like an awesome idea. My October looks bleak, but right now November looks pretty good. Maybe one of these Wednesdays we can get together for Trap and talk/catch-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom