• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    The prices vary depending on quality and purpose. For example, for hunting you might want amplification (my daughter-in-law says it's somewhere in the range of $500-700 depending on manufacturer).

She made me a pair of custom plugs with passive filters that I wear under my muffs (plug filters are changeable for different purposes, like shooting, music, or solid for max protection - these are around $225 or so, prices vary). Keep in mind that in-the-ear plug, even custom molded, will not offer anywhere near the protection of over-the-head muffs for indoor shooting (ideal is a combo of the 2). For hunters a good pair of custom-fit electronic plugs might be helpful. Please PM me for her name and tel # if you'd like more info.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I agree, I don't like muffs either, and I also have a large cranium. I use cutaway electronic muffs made for rifle shooting along with filtered plugs. Not ideal, but beats going "HUH, WHAT'D YOU SAY, THAT'S MY SHOT-OUT EAR!" a lot. Just saying.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Howard Leight orange foam 33 dB NR work great. They expand to fit your ear and are comfortable. About 2 years ago I bought a box of 200 pairs for $20 on Amazon.

Wear any pair of muffs over the foamies and you’ll have ample protection.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Howard Leight orange foam 33 dB NR work great. They expand to fit your ear and are comfortable. About 2 years ago I bought a box of 200 pairs for $20 on Amazon.

Wear any pair of muffs over the foamies and you’ll have ample protection.

Not next to a sawed off AK

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The prices vary depending on quality and purpose. For example, for hunting you might want amplification (my daughter-in-law says it's somewhere in the range of $500-700 depending on manufacturer).

She made me a pair of custom plugs with passive filters that I wear under my muffs (plug filters are changeable for different purposes, like shooting, music, or solid for max protection - these are around $225 or so, prices vary). Keep in mind that in-the-ear plug, even custom molded, will not offer anywhere near the protection of over-the-head muffs for indoor shooting (ideal is a combo of the 2). For hunters a good pair of custom-fit electronic plugs might be helpful. Please PM me for her name and tel # if you'd like more info.

Sorry to be disagreeable, but this is not my experience

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I've come to find that unless I'm shooting suppressed and nobody is shooting next to me, ear plugs AND ear muffs is the only way. If you figure a rifle gunshot at 167db, with a slim 23db rated ear muff, you're still taking some hearing damage. I also find it depends on the environment I'm shooting in. Open field and I feel fine with just ear muffs. Under a canopy and it's loud as shit with ear muffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom