• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Interesting. I got my new Dillon 550C Wednesday, and I set it up with the Dillon strong mount I got a few weeks ago. I pulled the set of dies out of my 550 and put it into my 550C and started loading some rounds. The sizing die works properly, but the powder through die isn't belling the case and the seating die isn't pushing the bullet in as far as it did in the 550. The crimping die is a little off, too. Looks like I'll have to adjust the dies. I just found this odd, as it should have been just switch and go. Anyone else experience this? I followed the instructions per the really nice color manual that came with the press.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Interesting. I got my new Dillon 550C Wednesday, and I set it up with the Dillon strong mount I got a few weeks ago. I pulled the set of dies out of my 550 and put it into my 550C and started loading some rounds. The sizing die works properly, but the powder through die isn't belling the case and the seating die isn't pushing the bullet in as far as it did in the 550. The crimping die is a little off, too. Looks like I'll have to adjust the dies. I just found this odd, as it should have been just switch and go. Anyone else experience this? I followed the instructions per the really nice color manual that came with the press.

Sounds like you will. If you're concerned, call them. They have great CS.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I would be interested to hear how they explain it, since that means you won't be able to move toolheads w/dies from your one press to the other. I can understand variances and changes in the manufacture over time being the cause. A more general question would be, "Is it right to expect one 550c to be able to swap toolheads w/dies to another 550c without adjustment?"

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I’m not as familiar with the specifics of the 550c but I have a 550b and several extra tool heads that remain “in spec” for quick caliber swaps.

The 550c looks from the pictures to be a good design, and I have had nothing but excellent customer service from Dillon when I need something.

Shameless plug; I’m selling my whole Dillon set up which would be a turn key set up for someone who wanted to get into reloading.

Check out the classifieds.

I hope Dillon gives you a good resolution.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would be interested to hear how they explain it, since that means you won't be able to move toolheads w/dies from your one press to the other. I can understand variances and changes in the manufacture over time being the cause. A more general question would be, "Is it right to expect one 550c to be able to swap toolheads w/dies to another 550c without adjustment?"

Yeah, my first is a 550, no letter after. They've made improvements over the years, but I was thinking it wouldn't be in that area. I should be fine if I get another 550c, but since I'm just using the new press for 9mm, it won't matter. Speaking of, I need to get another set of 9mm dies, since I'll be reloading for some single-stack 1911s and my CZs, none of which like long for caliber loads.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Heck, call them.

If there is a difference, I bet they give you a WHALE of a deal to swap your 550 for another 550C.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Set one up for small primers, and the other for large primers. Don’t play the game of swapping tool heads between the two.

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    It certainly should be a direct switch.
    Maybe you need to adjust the sizing die, as it might be stopping the ram short, and the other dies will then be fine.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    OP, there is a reason for the variance. You can swap and go with toolheads, but you would still have to do the minor calibrations, when you go from one press to another. Even though Dillon and other companies do their best to keep tolerances as tight as possible, a variance of a few thousandths or a hundredth should not be unexpected when you swap presses. IIRC, a member a long time ago asked me to calibrate his dies fro the 550 and I did it on my 550, but I let him know that it was only a rough calibration for his and he would have to do the final fine tuning for calibration on HIS press. What do you know the FL sizing die, powder funnel, and seating dies were off, when he installed it on his press.

Remember, you calibrated those dies on that toolhead for your first press. Not your second one.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I adjusted the dies, so it's not a big deal. Just curious, the dies were off my more than 1/100". I do need to call Dillon, though. I got the strong mount, and go the separate bullet tray. The tray came with only two screws, it should have four, and the set of Allen keys don't have one that fits two of the screws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom