• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Everything I've heard from my recent handgun purchases via my hql is that the ND is coming back in 3-4 days so the 8th day release sans ND is not an issue. They are just having to wait the required 7 days.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Makes you appreciate the FFL's that release the same day of the next week.

No, there is no Federal 5 day waiting period. In America you can plunk down your money, get a NICS check and walk out with gun in hand.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Makes you appreciate the FFL's that release the same day of the next week.

No, there is no Federal 5 day waiting period. In America you can plunk down your money, get a NICS check and walk out with gun in hand.

Yes, and yes. Heard stories of people walking in a store with a pcoicket full of cash, and out 15 mins later with a hip full of pistol :whoa: :thumbsup:

Kevin1106

Apr 17, 2014
    La plata Md
    Everything I've heard from my recent handgun purchases via my hql is that the ND is coming back in 3-4 days so the 8th day release sans ND is not an issue. They are just having to wait the required 7 days.

Well for what it's worth, I'm on day 9. I went to try to get my p226 today and was told No, my paperwork is not completed yet. I was told to give it 14 days.

So the 7 day wait period and picking up on day 8 is BS. I agree with others on here, I've waited 2 months so far... All the paperwork, HQL, classes.. Etc... Maryland doesn't make this easy, I'm dreading the wear and carry permit... I'm a business owner with good reasoning, so I already expect to wait months...

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Well for what it's worth, I'm on day 9. I went to try to get my p226 today and was told No, my paperwork is not completed yet. I was told to give it 14 days.

So the 7 day wait period and picking up on day 8 is BS. I agree with others on here, I've waited 2 months so far... All the paperwork, HQL, classes.. Etc... Maryland doesn't make this easy, I'm dreading the wear and carry permit... I'm a business owner with good reasoning, so I already expect to wait months...

WOW, that is major sucky sucky. :sad20:
    Amazing the ignorance of some dealers. All this time, all this available knowledge and they still can't get it together. I'm thankful for those I have dealt with :D

Also, I JUST sold a pistol privately. Did paperwork @ MSP last saturday. As we were finishing up the trooper told me that if I didnt hear anything I could release on the next saturday(today) which I did :thumbsup:

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012

When they say 90 business days to process a carry permit application, they mean it, and usually use every bit of it.

Kevin1106

Apr 17, 2014
    La plata Md
    WOW, that is major sucky sucky. :sad20:
    Amazing the ignorance of some dealers. All this time, all this available knowledge and they still can't get it together. I'm thankful for those I have dealt with :D

Also, I JUST sold a pistol privately. Did paperwork @ MSP last saturday. As we were finishing up the trooper told me that if I didnt hear anything I could release on the next saturday(today) which I did :thumbsup:

I guess this dealer is old school, I do know that they faxed my app... I asked the guy about the 8th day pick up. The salesman said, technically yes I can... But no... We need the paperwork.... My HQL Permit was 1 day old when I purchased my gun... I don't mind the 7 day waiting period... But to do the same paperwork twice within 24 hours.... Is crazy to me...

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I guess this dealer is old school, I do know that they faxed my app... I asked the guy about the 8th day pick up. The salesman said, technically yes I can... But no... We need the paperwork.... My HQL Permit was 1 day old when I purchased my gun... I don't mind the 7 day waiting period... But to do the same paperwork twice within 24 hours.... Is crazy to me...

Well, that makes one of us...

Sig Snob

May 20, 2012
    The law is that we can release on the 7th day which many people noted would be buy on Friday, pick up the following Friday. (Providing your application was faxed on the day of purchase).

The problem is that the licensing division (the folks that issue our dealer licenses) Say different things. The exceptions to the 7 day waiting period is that the waiting period can't end on a Sunday. There is further ambiguity as to how they handle holidays. It is really unclear as to whether the same Sunday restriction is in place or do they not count the holiday as any part of the 7 days.

At least half of the folks at the handgun registration unit will tell you flat out that the day you submit the application does not count. In order to play it safe, many dealers opt for the 8th day release. No sense screwing with the people running the show. Waiting beyond the 8th day is just plain ignorant.

The last employee I got a carry permit for took 150 days. Amazing that it was approved the day after I contacted the head of the licensing division. That was about a month ago.

Paul

Kevin1106

Apr 17, 2014
    La plata Md
    The law is that we can release on the 7th day which many people noted would be buy on Friday, pick up the following Friday. (Providing your application was faxed on the day of purchase).

The problem is that the licensing division (the folks that issue our dealer licenses) Say different things. The exceptions to the 7 day waiting period is that the waiting period can't end on a Sunday. There is further ambiguity as to how they handle holidays. It is really unclear as to whether the same Sunday restriction is in place or do they not count the holiday as any part of the 7 days.

At least half of the folks at the handgun registration unit will tell you flat out that the day you submit the application does not count. In order to play it safe, many dealers opt for the 8th day release. No sense screwing with the people running the show. Waiting beyond the 8th day is just plain ignorant.

The last employee I got a carry permit for took 150 days. Amazing that it was approved the day after I contacted the head of the licensing division. That was about a month ago.

Paul

Thank you for the information. I purchased my handgun on Thursday 4/10 so even if we don't count Thursday, I still waited Friday to Friday, tried to pick it up this past Friday and Saturday.... Still nothing.... :mad:

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Thank you for the information. I purchased my handgun on Thursday 4/10 so even if we don't count Thursday, I still waited Friday to Friday, tried to pick it up this past Friday and Saturday.... Still nothing.... :mad:

If your dealer will not give you the pistol on the 8th day it is on HIM. The law is perfectly clear. Find another dealer that will give you your property when the law allows. (Cannot pick up on Sunday or Holiday 8th day)
    Last year some dealers were making people wait until the MSP "NOT Disapproved" the paper work. Some people waited 6 months just because the dealer wanted them to.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , all this waiting business is silly, unnesecary , and wrong.

But within the historical context of Maryland the difference between counting to 7 or 8 is trivial.. As mentioned regarding last year , I waited 183 days for one transaction. Even back in the '80s and early '90s , 2 weeks was blindingly fast , 3 weeks about average , and wasn't considered really late until after 30days.

Of course this all sucks , but if your personal calculus of quality of life happens to include living in Maryland , then , well you know ....

Kevin1106

Apr 17, 2014
    La plata Md
    If your dealer will not give you the pistol on the 8th day it is on HIM. The law is perfectly clear. Find another dealer that will give you your property when the law allows. (Cannot pick up on Sunday or Holiday 8th day)
    Last year some dealers were making people wait until the MSP "NOT Disapproved" the paper work. Some people waited 6 months just because the dealer wanted them to.

This is exactly how I'm feeling. I'm going to go there on Monday and if I cannot get my firearm, then I'm going to ask for a refund..by then it will be day 11

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    No way, it says 7 days right on the 77r

yeah, but i think 7 days refers to their ability to release after 7 days even if no word has come back from MSP. I think the law says that if MSP has sent your ND ahead of time, they can actually release to you on day 5.

For instance, there was actually a time when MSP would get ND notices to gunshops within a matter of 2 or 3 days. in that event i think, with the ND in hand, the shop is allowed to release to buyer after 5 days.

it was some years ago but i am almost sure i remember picking a gun up from Bass Pro on day 5 one time.

i could be wrong.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    yeah, but i think 7 days refers to their ability to release after 7 days even if no word has come back from MSP. I think the law says that if MSP has sent your ND ahead of time, they can actually release to you on day 5.

For instance, there was actually a time when MSP would get ND notices to gunshops within a matter of 2 or 3 days. in that event i think, with the ND in hand, the shop is allowed to release to buyer after 5 days.

it was some years ago but i am almost sure i remember picking a gun up from Bass Pro on day 5 one time.

i could be wrong.

You are wrong. You cannot pick up before seven days. My paperwork came back in a day on a recent purchase (post HQL). It still cannot be released until the seventh day.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

That is when you should have taken your business to a different dealer. You knew he wouldn't release without completed paperwork went ahead and bought anyway and now complain that he is doing what he told you he would do.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Maybe I should have been a little more detailed in my explanation, I didn't ask him that until day 7.

Man, some people on these forum pages are so quick to turn into an a$$hole without knowing complete details.

That's the internet for ya :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom