• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    "In fact, I found out that the second half of our meeting last week (when we broke into subcommittees) could have been closed to the public."

And there's the threat, stop making waves or it might get worse

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    From good ol' Froshy.

http://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov/OpenGov Documents/Openmeetings/OMA_FAQ.pdf

The subcommittees are public bodies in an of themselves.

if its not a "state entity":

The AA task force is a public entity, therefore any one appointed by it must be one as well.

aaaaaaand heres the actual law

Looks like the law says the subcommittee IS subject to OMA IMO and Rab's. An actual lawyer familiar with the statute may feel free to correct me. Barracks Lawyers need not bother...

:popcorn:

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Looks like the law says the subcommittee IS subject to OMA IMO and Rab's. An actual lawyer familiar with the statute may feel free to correct me. Barracks Lawyers need not bother...

:popcorn:

Reading under exemptions it says that 2i is not a public body. So which is it? It explicitly says it is and isn't a public body

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I think it's neither. It's simple, I'm the government and F you peons. I ran for school board in southern Maryland. Union filed a suite for open meetings. The county litigated it because it wasn't their money. Union eventually won, but the issue was overcome by events - it didn't matter anymore.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I think it's somewhat creative to say open meetings wasn't required for the second half of the meeting since they are working in small groups. Using that theory, anytime people sit at different tables the open meetings act does not apply. Freaking crazy.

I bet they throw us out next meeting.

I would argue that the quorum of the subcommittee created an open meetings situation.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Ms. Purcell asked for resources that the Task Force should be aware of. I sent her the following. (The links and formatting were better in what I sent. You can figure it out.)

FixNICS http://fixnics.org/#&panel1-1
    Background checks are often cited as a useful too in preventing Criminals or the mentally ill from obtaining guns. Unfortunately, many states, do not fully report all records that establish someone as prohibited from owning a firearm under current law, especially including mental health adjudications and involuntary commitments orders. Including these missing records will help ensure more accurate and complete background checks. Maryland ranks 37th per capita.

National Shooting Sports Federation Project Childsafe
    https://www.nssf.org/safety/project-childsafe/
    Project ChildSafe is the largest, most comprehensive firearm safety education program in the U.S. It was developed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade association for the firearms industry, and is committed to promoting genuine firearm safety through the distribution of safety education messages and free firearm Safety Kits. The kits include a cable-style gun-locking device and a brochure (also available in Spanish) that discusses safe handling and secure storage guidelines to help deter access by unauthorized individuals.
    Project ChildSafe is a real firearm safety solution that helps make communities safer. Since 1999, more than 15,000 law enforcement agencies have partnered with the program to distribute more than 37 million firearm safety kits to gun owners in all 50 states and five U.S. territories. Through vital partnerships with elected officials, community leaders, state agencies, businesses, the firearms industry and other stakeholders, Project ChildSafe has helped raise awareness about the safe and responsible ownership of firearms and the importance of storing firearms securely when not in use to help prevent accidents, theft and misuse.

NSSF Suicide Prevention Programs
    wilhttps://www.nssfrealsolutions.org/initiative/suicide-prevention/
    Recognizing that nearly two-thirds of all firearms deaths are by suicide, NSSF and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention have developed a Suicide Prevention Toolkit to help firearms retailers, shooting range operators and customers understand risk factors and warning signs related to suicide, know where to find help and encourage secure firearms storage options. NSSF asks retailers and ranges to participate in this program because doing so can help save lives.
    US Department of Justice study on how criminals obtain guns.
    Source and Use of Firearms Involved in Crimes: Survey of Prison Inmates, 2016
    Discussion of the study here.
    Full study is here.

TABLE 5 Among state and federal prisoners who had possessed a firearm during the offense for which they were serving time, sources and methods used to obtain a firearm, 2016
    Purchased/traded at retail source: 10.1%
    Gun shop/store: 7.5%
    Pawn shop: 1.6%
    Flea market: 0.4%
    Gun show: 0.8%
    Obtained from individual: 25.3%
    Purchased/traded from family/friend: 8.0%
    Rented/borrowed from family/friend: 6.5%
    Gift/purchased for prisoner: 10.8%
    Off the street/underground market: 43.2%
    Theft: 6.4%
    From burglary: 1.5%
    From retail source: 0.2%
    From family/friend: 1.6%
    Unspecified theft: 3.1%
    Other sources: 17.4%
    Found at location of crime/victim: 6.9%
    Brought by someone else: 4.6%
    Other: 5.9%
    Multiple sources: 2.5%

State Level Firearm Concealed-Carry Legislation and Rates of Homicide and Other Violent Crime; College of American Surgeons; https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S107275151832074X
    Results
    During the study period, all states moved to adopt some form of concealed-carry legislation, with a trend toward less restrictive legislation. After adjusting for state and year, there was no significant association between shifts from restrictive to nonrestrictive carry legislation on violent crime and public health indicators. Adjusting further for poverty and unemployment did not significantly influence the results.
    Conclusions
    This study demonstrated no statistically significant association between the liberalization of state level firearm carry legislation over the last 30 years and the rates of homicides or other violent crime. Policy efforts aimed at injury prevention and the reduction of firearm-related violence should likely investigate other targets for potential intervention.

Any Study Of 'Gun Violence' Should Include How Guns Save Lives, Paul Hsieh, Forbes, Article

I used to think gun control was the answer. My research told me otherwise., Leah Libresco, Washington Post, Article.
    Instead, I found the most hope in more narrowly tailored interventions. Potential suicide victims, women menaced by their abusive partners and kids swept up in street vendettas are all in danger from guns, but they each require different protections.
    Older men, who make up the largest share of gun suicides, need better access to people who could care for them and get them help. Women endangered by specific men need to be prioritized by police, who can enforce restraining orders prohibiting these men from buying and owning guns. Younger men at risk of violence need to be identified before they take a life or lose theirs and to be connected to mentors who can help them de-escalate conflicts.
    Even the most data-driven practices, such as New Orleans' plan to identify gang members for intervention based on previous arrests and weapons seizures, wind up more personal than most policies floated. The young men at risk can be identified by an algorithm, but they have to be disarmed one by one, personally — not en masse as though they were all interchangeable. A reduction in gun deaths is most likely to come from finding smaller chances for victories and expanding those solutions as much as possible. We save lives by focusing on a range of tactics to protect the different kinds of potential victims and reforming potential killers, not from sweeping bans focused on the guns themselves.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I believe you have just posted more research than the entire task force has found to date, Mr. Podge. Thanks.
    However, this is a very biased force and I fear this common sense info may come across as if it is written in Farsi.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I believe you have just posted more research than the entire task force has found to date, Mr. Podge. Thanks.
    However, this is a very biased force and I fear this common sense info may come across as if it is written in Farsi.

Oh, I have no doubt that the final report has already been written.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I noticed that Pittman's document creating the task forced was "approved as to form and legal sufficiency" and signed off by Gregory J. Swain, County Attorney. Perhaps someone should ask Mr. Swain if these meeting fall under the open meetings act.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    tf agenda.jpg

It's a rather ambitious agenda, unless Bloomberg's already written the report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom