• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I'm relatively new to the gun culture compared to you guys, but I remember seeing them at gun shows (STACKS of them) for $175, and I thought: "I'll get one later, they're cheap and plentiful". Boy did I make a mistake.

Lesson to the newbs out there: Buy what you can, now. Prices will only go up, and availability will only go down.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm relatively new to the gun culture compared to you guys, but I remember seeing them at gun shows (STACKS of them) for $175, and I thought: "I'll get one later, they're cheap and plentiful". Boy did I make a mistake.

Lesson to the newbs out there: Buy what you can, now. Prices will only go up, and availability will only go down.

My ownership stretches back only a little more than 4 years now. I finally got my C&R last May. I went out and bought all of the stuff that was “common” over the course of a few months. Got a Cz50, 82, M57, SKS, P64, P1, A couple of other goodies.

Wife was pissed. I also know at some point most of those are likely to be 2x or more. I doubt most are going to suddenly be $3000 guns, but I’d rather have paid $200 for an interesting gun in good shape than decide I want it 5 years from now and have to pay $400 for it then.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    10 years ago i bought on c&R from cherrys, all matching un rearsenaled russkie. 1953 or 4. $290. Over the years picked up an albanian from SOG...roughstock...( different upper hand guard and charging handle from the rest of the sks s), a chinese and another russian, the last 2 from a LGS selling them for a customer. They were about $250/ per, about 6 yrs back. The chinese has a gold hued blade bayonet.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I remember in the early 2000's during the Glendenning scare when we were floating in these Yugo 59/66 SKS's going for about 160 to 180 buck depending on the condition. Most of them came with those cool kits. Back then, the old timers were talking about the 70 buck ones in the late 80's or thereabouts. I guess that everything is relative. My advice would be to get 'em while the prices are where they are at and before Maryland (and the feds for that matter) bans them...

Edit:
    ...oops, inserted the Norinco SKS by mistake, but I got that one too "back then" for less than 200 bucks...

Attachments

• SKS Yugo.jpg
      SKS Yugo.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 259
    • sks norinco 2.jpg
      sks norinco 2.jpg
      25 KB · Views: 243
    Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "I love the color of the common Chinese catalpa wood (most of them are stained orange though, not the raw wood color)."

In birch stocked M1 Garand jargon, that would be a blonde. I helped a fellow employee to procure a match grade Garand for her husband (also a fellow employee) as an anniversary gift. Inside joke is she is blond. She told her husband there are two blonds in his life. This was about 20 years ago.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    "I love the color of the common Chinese catalpa wood (most of them are stained orange though, not the raw wood color)."

In birch stocked M1 Garand jargon, that would be a blonde. I helped a fellow employee to procure a match grade Garand for her husband (also a fellow employee) as an anniversary gift. Inside joke is she is blond. She told her husband there are two blonds in his life. This was about 20 years ago.

I am usually in to redheads or raven haired beauties, but blonde is a good look on the right gal. I mean gat.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    2A Sales and Supplies over in Savage might have one or two, or at least know where you can find one.

I own a Yugo, personally; it's a bit heavier than a Russian or Chinese, but she shoots straight and functions well. I found it at The Gun Center out in Frederick, and they usually maintain a decent amount of surplus--same with The Gun Shack in Mt. Airy. United Guns and Engage Armament in Rockville usually have surplus, too, so maybe give them a call. I know these are all a bit of a hike, but they all have reasonable prices and availability for surplus, so they're worth it, imo.

Oh, and if you buy one: Do yourself a favor, get authentic surplus stripper clips. The reproduction ones suck, and they'll jam every time, but you can find a pack of ten surplus on eBay for under $20, no problem.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Oh, and if you buy one: Do yourself a favor, get authentic surplus stripper clips. The reproduction ones suck, and they'll jam every time, but you can find a pack of ten surplus on eBay for under $20, no problem.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. THanks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    2A Sales and Supplies over in Savage might have one or two, or at least know where you can find one.

I own a Yugo, personally; it's a bit heavier than a Russian or Chinese, but she shoots straight and functions well. I found it at The Gun Center out in Frederick, and they usually maintain a decent amount of surplus--same with The Gun Shack in Mt. Airy. United Guns and Engage Armament in Rockville usually have surplus, too, so maybe give them a call. I know these are all a bit of a hike, but they all have reasonable prices and availability for surplus, so they're worth it, imo.

Yeah all I’ve got are some repro and 9/10 all I can get is about 4-5 rounds loaded off one and it jams up.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I think I've put 20 rounds through this one. Lives in the back of the safe. I believe it's an all matchy-matchy Russian-made rifle from 1952. Nice and clean, shoots well (I mean, other than how short that stock is!). I believe I paid $75 for it. It's the only thing I've got that will shoot 7.62x39, so it stays! Especially for what it cost me. It was a goofy impulse at the time, but now I'm glad it's lurking in the collection.

Attachments

• sks.jpg
      sks.jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 227

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    I think I've put 20 rounds through this one. Lives in the back of the safe. I believe it's an all matchy-matchy Russian-made rifle from 1952. Nice and clean, shoots well (I mean, other than how short that stock is!). I believe I paid $75 for it. It's the only thing I've got that will shoot 7.62x39, so it stays! Especially for what it cost me. It was a goofy impulse at the time, but now I'm glad it's lurking in the collection.

Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom