• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Since I haven't seen this posted before, I thought the reloading area might be appropriate, but it's really not about reloading per se ... but more about reloading dangers ... on steroids !!!

Secrets of the Vietnam War: Project "Eldest Son" - Top Secret U.S. S.O.G. Operation to Plant Sabotaged Ammunition in Enemy Hands

When the job was done, 11,565 AK rounds had been sabotaged, along with 556 rounds for the Communist Bloc's heavy 12.7 mm machine gun, a major anti-helicopter weapon.

While the AKM and Type 56 AKs and the RPD light machine gun could accommodate a chamber pressure of 45,000 psi, Baker's deadly powder generated a whopping 250,000 psi.

"It completely blew up the receiver and the bolt was projected backwards," SOG's commander Colonel John K. Singlaub observed, "I would imagine into the head of the firer."

Attachments

• Havoc5.jpg
      Havoc5.jpg
      108.9 KB · Views: 945

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    They spiked mortar rounds too.
    with even more spectacular results.

Go read major Plaster's book on S.O.G.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Hmm, I didn't know that it was Col. John Singlaub behind it. I remember coming across his name doing research for a paper on US intelligence efforts on North Korea. In the closing days of WWII, he had created a network of agents who were infiltrated into the Korean communists and were the only eyes within North Korea for a time.

I also took a class with a retired Army historian on the media and the Vietnam War. He mentioned Project Eldest Son and that it backfired a little bit when Hmong fighters refused to use captured ammo. That prompted Lake City to do a run of unmarked (but clearly American) 7.62x39 for them.

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    We were warned that the Iraqis did this to some ammo during Desert Storm. At the time it made sense, but the more I think about it, it was probably scuttlebutt to keep us from playing with all the toys we were picking up.

We did have a couple admin people get messed up playing with Russian hand grenades, and there was a big story about boobytrapped grenades, but that turned out to be because the cases of grenades were shipped with 7 second, 4 second, and 0 second fuses in separate cans. Fortunately for my Troop, I took 2 years of Russian my first go round with college, and I could read the cans.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Jocko Willink interviewed a Vietnam spec ops guy on his podcast last week. The guy mentioned participating in Eldest Son on the podcast. Thanks to this thread, I knew what he was talking about before he elaborated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom