• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Anyone got a lead on a large 60+ gun safe in sale right now. Tractor supply has the cannon for $599 but only the electronic lock would prefer the mechanical dial.

I'm not looking for top of the line the $599 is perfect it will do what I want, keep my kids out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I can’t remember if the Canon offers a mechanical on their base model. I am with you on preferring mechanical.

But for a 60+ gun safe, your options are earned limited if the price range you are looking at is ~$600.

Not to rush you, but I’d also try to get one soon. Steel tariffs are likely to start driving up safe prices a fair amount (either because the manufacturer uses imported steel or because a domestic steel supplier ups their price because they can now).

So I wouldn’t be surprised if most prices go up at least 15-20% in the next few months and stay there (probably gun prices will go up a little too, but I think softer market and steel and aluminum are a much smaller percentage of the overall cost of the item).

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Forgive my naivety, but what is wrong or problematic with electrical locking mechanisms?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve read a fair number of negative reviews on safes and the vast majority are related to the lock going bad. The vast majority of those are electronic locks. Even if you can replace the battery externally and still be good to good, it just takes a failure in the circuitry and then it’s time to cut open the safe.

That isn’t to say I wouldn’t ever get one with an electronic lock, but I’d want at least one safe with a mechanical lock. I’d prefer that if one failed or EMP that I could get to at least some of my guns.

On the EMP, I am not entirely paranoid there, a close lighting strike produces EMP that can damage delictate electronics also. I’ve seen stuff trashed that was completely unplugged during a storm and fried from a nearby lightning strike (like hit the dwelling and/or within a hundred feet of the house)

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I agree. Even though the newer electronic locks are supposed to be more robust and resistant to EMP, the old mechanical dials will work no matter what, short of being physically destroyed.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I have a liberty w/ electronic lock. Being able to get in and out of the safe in seconds is convenient. Not for a break in scenario, just a range session and packing up all my crap. Or to access important paperwork quickly.
    As far as bypassing it goes. I have two Doberman pinchers that will make it difficult to do so.

What's involved with upgrading an e-lock? Or replacing it with a mechanical?

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I bit the bullet and bought a liberty 1776 64 gun safe. A bit more than I planned on spending but it was in stock at my local dealer and cut me a good deal I believe. All the safes I was looking at were 6-12 weeks out. I have a lift gate truck and motorized dolly so it was easy moving.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

The ad says "fireboard" I'd contact them to insure this is ceramic insulation vs. dry wall.

It also says delivery is by tractor trailer so unless they offer a lift truck option, you have a loading dock, a fork lift, or arrange to have it delivered beforehand to a place that will put it on a lift truck for you, you may end up staring at your new safe 6 feet up in the air on the truck.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The ad says "fireboard" I'd contact them to insure this is ceramic insulation vs. dry wall.

It also says delivery is by tractor trailer so unless they offer a lift truck option, you have a loading dock, a fork lift, or arrange to have it delivered beforehand to a place that will put it on a lift truck for you, you may end up staring at your new safe 6 feet up in the air on the truck.

Maybe I misread it, but I think it says they’ll deliver up to “in to your garage”. Anything beyond that is on you.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    gun safes safe?

You get what you pay for. Most gun "safes" are only carry what is essentially a file cabinet rating. Google the "dirty truth about gun safes".

The fire proofing is cheap Chinese dry wall that can emit gasses that can damage fire arms. The thin Chinese steel on most of these "safes" can be defeated with a $20 Harbor Freight angle grinder/cutting tool in less than 5 minutes. If you are looking to secure your toys from children and lazy thieves, go for it. Experienced thieves will skip the door and simply cut thru the walls of your safe if a crowbar doesn't work to pop the door. When shopping push against this thin sheet metal and you will see it deflect. If you want a file cabinet rated safe, save money and weight and purchase an inexpensive one from Wally World and bolt it securely. Another outfit sells one that can be easily assembled in pieces and has the same "security" as the 900lb $2k safes. You will get the same level of "security" Don't believe me, take an angle grinder to some sheet metal that has the same rating as your prospective safe and be amazed.

If you want a real safe, it will be expensive and have 3/8-1/2 steel walls and weigh over 1K lbs. Fire proof ones might be concrete line and add more security. Liberty and others make safes in this class but they are pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Electronic locks have multiple failure modes and some are easily bypassed. Dial is the way to go IMHO and you also never have to worry about a battery going dead or an EMP event.

Assuming you have a home security system, buy a safe that will resist penetration for as long as it will take LE to arrive on site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom