Urgent VCDL update- An attack on gun-rights leaders is underway - spread the word!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not yet a Virginia Citizens Defense League member? Join VCDL at: https://vcdl.org/join
    VCDL's calendar: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
    Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html
    VA-ALERT archives: http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/727/=now

February 20, 2018

Last weekend, while doing what seemed to be a regular interview, I discovered that a movie is being made with the intent to discredit gun-rights leaders across the country.

No, this is not a joke, it is real and we need to get the word out to other gun-rights organizations, gun-rights leaders, and prominent firearms trainers across the country and we need to do this FAST.

Back in 2014, alleged Hollywood sexual predator Harvey Weinstein said he was going to make a movie “that would make the NRA wish they weren’t alive.” (All gun organizations are the NRA in his mind.) And he was dead serious. Michael Moore has been attempting to discredit gun owners and leaders for years by tricking people and using creative editing techniques to make them look foolish or idiotic.

Who’s behind this effort isn’t clear, but they are EXTREMELY WELL FUNDED PROFESSIONALS. For example, to reel me in and to try to make me feel beholden to them, they laid out the red carpet, by providing luxury accommodations, limousine service, and providing a generous monetary allowance to cover meals and other expenses for two days.

They use psychological manipulation, as well as lies and tricks to put their victim into comedic situations that subject them to public shame, embarrassment, and ridicule. I believe the intent is to destroy reputations and even lives.

I did some detective work in the days immediately following the “interview,” and I managed to find out they had targeted at least one nationally known firearms trainer and I know there are more. They appear to be setting up near gun shows. I also found out they covered their tracks carefully to avoid revealing their true identity.

It started when VCDL received an email last week from a company called “First Freedom Television” to do an interview with an “Israeli security expert” on the “shared security interests of like-minded countries, such as the U.S. and Israel.” It went on, “Unlike the misguided position of American liberals, who aim to eradicate guns altogether, Israel has proven that universal gun training and widespread gun ownership actually leads to a safer society.”

I do interviews all the time, and this one didn’t seem to be all that much out of the ordinary.

On Sunday, February 11, 2018, I did the interview in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. About 5 minutes into the interview, my radar turned on big time when the interviewer was making claims about Israeli schools training selected children to use firearms from age 17 down to age 4 (!) as a last ditch effort in stopping a terrorist attack on a school if the teachers and security staff had been killed. The children would have codes to unlock secured firearms in such a case.

When I balked at 4-year-olds being able to do that, he showed me an alleged newscast video on his iPad. The text was in Hebrew, but with an English-speaking narration, talking about how a 4-year-old boy had indeed stopped a terrorist attack at his school. The newscast said that he killed two terrorists using his dad’s gun, which he had brought to school in his backpack to show a friend, in violation of school rules. Israeli Premier Netanyahu was touting him as a hero in the video.

While I’ve never been to Israel, I do know they have some serious terrorism concerns, especially at schools and other public gatherings. The way they handle some of their security can be very different from what we have in the U.S. But that news story just didn’t look right, and 4-year-olds can hold a gun and fire it with supervision, but not take on terrorists, and especially manage to shoot and kill two of them.

Because of this and various other odd things I noticed during the interview, I was now convinced that something wasn’t right. This wasn’t real and probably some sort of a set up.

I could only think of Hollywood’s threat. At a minimum, it could be a comedy which would play only in Israel, but it could be a more damaging attempt to make a “mocumentary,” by someone like Michael Moore, or, even worse, a Sacha Baron Cohen-esq “Borat”-type of shock comedy meant to be devastatingly embarrassing and humiliating to the victim in the crosshairs.

As the 15-minute interview terminated, the interviewer asked me if I, as an English-speaking firearms trainer, would help him make a “gun safety” training video for children of various ages. This had to be the “kicker,” I thought.

For better or for worse, I decided that I would play along with the scheme so I could find out who was behind this and where this was going. I figured if I was right about this being a set up, I could blow the whistle and get a warning out to the gun-rights community across the country to protect as many people as possible and maybe derail this attack. If it turned out to be nothing, then no harm, no foul.

We recorded for almost 3 hours using Airsoft guns as props. They even had a teleprompter!

I was right – it was a set up - and it was much worse than I could have imagined. If you’ve seen the 70’s movie, “The Sting,” it was much like that. It was a well-orchestrated, well-choreographed, psychological manipulation, with a production cast of at least 10 people, to slowly lead a person down the primrose path.

We went step-by-step with a ready, and seemingly logical, answer every time I balked at some crazy part of the training. They seemed to have thought of every thing that a person might question. All I can say is that these people were extremely good at deception and manipulation. And no matter how stupid the things the interviewer and I were doing (we were side-by-side the whole time), no one else cracked a smile or laughed once, and I was watching. The professional actors were keeping up the appearance that this was a serious project.

The end goal was to get the victim to make a “training film” teaching 3 and 4-year-olds how to shoot guns hidden in toy animals at “bad” people, to sing little songs and make gun noises during the training to make it “fun for children,” and even teach little kids how to shoot a rocket-propelled-grenade or a squad automatic weapon at an approaching suicide bomber vehicle!

It all sounds unbelievable. But everything was elaborately and expensively staged; every contingency planned for, with explanations that make unbelievable things seem plausible (fake documents and videos about how Israel handles security in their schools, for example). The interview moved along at a pace, designed not to give the “mark” time to reflect on where things are going. The craziness factor very gradually got more extreme, like cooking a frog by slowly heating up the water so he doesn’t realize what’s happening until it’s too late. It’s a con game, a sting, plain and simple.

I don’t know if they have other scenarios or they will use other company names to continue concealing their identity, but anyone doing an interview dealing with gun rights where they sense something odd should terminate that interview. Or, better, bring a recorder and tell the other party you are going to make your own recording of the interview. If they say “no,” then walk out. I am going to make that my own policy going forward to protect against any future fake interviews. BTW, they had me leave my cellphone in an office “because it might interfere with the recording devices,” but I think it was so I couldn’t take any photos of them or make any video or audio recordings on that phone.

In the end we played each other and I confirmed what I feared this was all about. Sadly for me, I’m sure I’m going to be in whatever crazy film finally comes out, looking really stupid and, just as sadly, I’ll probably be in good company. A few of us will no doubt get hammered, but if we can get the word out IMMEDIATELY, we might be able to save the reputations of many other good people.

Finally, looking at the possibilities and what I saw while making the “training film,” I’m betting this is going to end up being a “Borat”-style film and it’s going to be vicious on the victims.

Please share this alert far and wide.

Philip Van Cleave
    President
    Virginia Citizens Defense League

-------------------------------------------
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Update.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not yet a Virginia Citizens Defense League member? Join VCDL at: https://vcdl.org/join
    VCDL's calendar: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
    Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html
    VA-ALERT archives: http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/727/=now

INTENDED AND ACTUAL VICTIMS OF THE FAKE INTERVIEW OF GUN LEADERS STEP FORWARD

Since the VA-ALERT item on an apparent attack on gun-rights leaders went out last Tuesday, information has been coming in that confirms my belief that many leaders were indeed solicited to be part of the fake interview.

In that alert I alluded to finding the name of another “mark” that I recognized as a national firearms training figure.

That name was Rob Pincus. Rob contacted me and we talked about his experience the night the alert went out. Rob received the same email I received and was flown to Pennsylvania, as was Utah resident Janalee Tobias, who is the founder and president of Women Against Gun Control.

Janalee, as well as the West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Florida Carry, AmmoLand, and a gun dealer in Virginia also received the same email as I received. All but Janalee declined the invitation or had their travel arrangements in such disarray that the interview never happened.

Rob posted his experience on the VCDL Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/VCDL.ORG/posts/2033704989980493

Basically because First Freedom Television couldn’t make travel arrangements to save their life, he ended up not making it to the interview (YES!) and flew back home in frustration. Rob also had some red flags raised in his interactions with the First Freedom Television staff and grew suspicious of them. He thought this was either some kind of set up or perhaps just some terribly misguided people.

In an interesting twist, both Janalee and Rob ended up in the same limousine by accident! When the driver called ahead to First Freedom Television and told them he had TWO of their interviewees in his car, the First Freedom Television representative panicked and ordered the limo driver to take Rob back, as there was no place for him to wait for his interview while Janalee did her interview. Knowing now what the fake-interview crew wanted to do, I can see why they panicked.

There may have been more people who were interviewed, we will probably find out in the near future as the word continues to spread across the country.

Janalee is a sweet lady that was lied to over and over as they tricked her into making the fake training film that was supposed to be shown "only in Israel.” She was terribly uncomfortable during the filming and once it was over her feelings of everything being horribly wrong overwhelmed her and she told the staff that she rescinded her consent to use any material with her in it. Janalee, who teaches Eddie Eagle and refers to herself as the "cool aid" mom because she deals with children all the time, was mortified at the complete and irresponsible handling of firearms that would be shown to children in the "training film." (BTW, the interviewer assured her every step of the way that everything she was doing had been approved by psychologists in Israel and that Benjamin Netanyahu, who appeared in what turned out to be a fake news report, wanted this film made. They told me the same lies.) Staff gave her the run around saying the producer (T.J.) would have to call her about rescinding her consent. He never called, of course.

THE PLOT THICKENS

The First Freedom Television Facebook page seems to have disappeared, but the website is still there.

It looks like there may be another angle to the film. Here is an article about a Hollywood couple that was sent an email almost exactly like the one that I and others received. The article talks about the extreme psychological manipulations and lies used to get the couple to do or say things they would normally never do or say. Rob Pincus found the article:

https://pagesix.com/2018/02/15/sacha-baron-cohen-pranks-gretchen-and-slade/

or

https://tinyurl.com/y9rodhm7

Sacha Baron Cohen pranks Gretchen and Slade By Chelsea Hirsch

Former “Real Housewives of Orange County” stars Gretchen Rossi and Slade Smiley are among Sacha Baron Cohen‘s latest prank victims.

“We got punked so bad by Sacha Baron Cohen,” Rossi told Page Six this week. “I don’t know, but we think it’s for maybe, possibly his new movie. We were reached out to by this production company that basically said … we’re doing this series for Israel that’s all about … security and protecting yourself as an American celebrity.”

Smiley, 44, added that the company pitched them by addressing “what challenges you go through as a public figure” by “[bringing] in an Israeli Mossad agent to teach you some self-defense moves and check the security of your home.” The couple vetted the company and confirmed a two-hour filming time, but decided to do it at a rental property instead of at their own home.

“The second we walk through the door there’s two Mossad agents holding guns to each other’s heads,” Rossi said, describing how she was immediately terrified. “They punked us for four-and-a-half hours! You would not believe the stuff they were asking us to do — the weirdest, creepiest, funniest stuff, but at the time it wasn’t funny. We literally thought they were going to kill Slade!”

Rossi, 40, said they took part in the training because she actually wanted to know what to do if someone broke into her home, and didn’t question the strange behavior at first. But she finally hit her breaking point when she was asked, “When Slade is dead, how soon do you start dating?” Meanwhile, Smiley had enough when Cohen brought out zip ties as part of his “training.”

Rossi said she had no idea they were talking to Cohen because he had a well-designed unibrow and face prosthetics. Cohen never broke character, and his staff maintained their composure as well, she said.

“I was freaked out. I was crying — I was hysterical coming home,” she said of what happened after she left. “I’m sure they were laughing their asses off!”

They tried to call the production company afterward, but “everyone went dark” and they couldn’t reach anyone.

“For two days we had no idea that this had really happened,” Smiley said. “We went to a magazine photoshoot and Tito Ortiz was on the shoot. And we were talking about things, and he was like, ‘F–k dude, I think I was punked by Sacha Cohen.’ I go, ‘What do you mean?’ … and he started describing exactly what happened to us.”

“He needs to win an Oscar for his performance,” she laughed. “Incredible!”

It was recently reported that Cohen, 46, paid O.J. Simpson more than $20,000 to appear in his next movie. Cohen is known for his wild getups and pranks in flicks like “Borat” and “Brüno.”

Cohen’s rep didn’t get back to us.

THEY ARE ALSO LOOKING FOR OTHER PEOPLE TO VICTIMIZE

The First Freedom Television Facebook page was asking for people to participate in self-defense techniques:

"We are looking for everyday people who are interested in learning some new techniques to help keep themselves and their communities safe from all types of threats – while making some money and having a lot of fun.

"We prefer participants who have had no previous military or self-defense training, and you don’t need more than average physical ability. The goal of this project is to show how everyday people can use cutting edge self-defense techniques to make a positive impact in their communities."

--

AS WE FIND OUT MORE, I'LL UPDATE EVERYONE

-------------------------------------------
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    After Couric's malicious deception I would figure that no gun rights advocate would do any interview with an external group without their own cameras rolling and an iron clad final editing veto contract.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Philip Van Cleave actually agreed to an interview by John Oliver. Not sure what he was thinking then.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A few current and former US Congressmen and Senators seem to be willing to read whatever SBC's teleprompter scrolled in front of them ("turn your first grader into a first grenader"). Definitely not a good look. Larry Pratt of GOA says some pretty ridiculous stuff as well (Blink 182 pheromone, lol). I'm guessing SBC's people tried but failed in duping NRA spokespeople as they would have been even higher profile scores for his skewering and show's ratings. Most people will not have a clue who Pratt or GOA is.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Good lord, how do people still fall for this? Guy you have never heard of wants an interview, starts asking insane questions, and you follow along?

Phillip needs to either learn how to say no to any interview that won’t allow simultaneous recording or put someone in charge of PR who will; this one will look really bad for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    All the 2A friendly people appearing in the video were pranked with a comedy version of the Nigerian Prince scam, and all should be ashamed for not recognizing it, and for not having the spine to reject and/or object to the BS they participated in while it was underway.

Worse, Phil Van Cleave of VCDL, compounds his poor judgment with a 5,000 word statement that he “was playing along” like a clown in order to gather intelligence.

That sh*t doesn’t fly.

All of them—but especially veteran 2A spokespersons Van Cleve and Pratt—should have released statements with two sentences: “I participated in a prank interview and failed to recognize the fraud despite numerous obvious clues. I apologize to the 2A community for being such a dunce and will decline all future 2A interviews because my credibility has been tarnished beyond repair”.

It’s that serious.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If these organizations don’t have a media savvy PR or media person. they need one ASAP. This could have been identified as a tasteless prank at its inception

How embarrassing for all concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Phil Van Cleave organized VCDL in a genius fashion. He built the organization and “trained” the press to contact him anytime there was a 2A question or debate.

Inside the VCDL, the rule that NO ONE except Phil Van Cleve speaks to the media in the name of the VCDL was dictatorial but effective because of his knowledge and experience.

It has worked—until it didn’t—and that moment has arrived. This prank shows that failing to develop a “bench” of VCDL spokespeople now that this organization has achieved membership maturity has left VCDL vulnerable.

Same with Larry Pratt. Both have been permanently undercut because sophisticated media hit squads have evolved faster than their ability to comprehend them.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Fortunately I don’t believe this type of event would occur to the PP who have a deeper bench than the others when it comes to media relations and has leadership who encouraged some of it’s other well spoken and knowledgeable members to interact with the media.

Seeing the big picture is incredibly difficult for some people to grasp.

I’m not happy VCDL was duped, but it is a lesson that needs to be learned. Their naïveté surprises me given how long they have been at this.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If is indeed very surprising but as Rack stated Phil is a one man show when it comes to media interaction. His failure to recognize this as anything but a prank seems extremely tone deaf and beyond my ability to comprehend.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    As soon as Van Cleave and Pratt heard about “training 4 year olds” to confront terrorists they should have pushed back.

But at the point they were taking a Weaver stance with “plush toy gunanimals” and then acting like a ventriloquist’s dummy while spewing out ridiculous gun nut slogans from a Tele-Prompter....sorry, your credibility is totally wiped out.

Go ahead and have a seat right over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom