• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I have property that i can shoot up to 550 yards comfortably. I can make it 600 yards by pushing it but can be done "safe enough".

We've started hitting balloons (and groundhogs) out at this range, in 2019 we're going to convert this to shotgun clays and gongs.

I would like to move this beyond 600 yards... does anyone know of a place (public or private) so shoot 1000 yards in or near DC/Baltimore. I know of BANG STEEL but that's a good 6 hours away and .. less than "free".

A bang steel weekend, while awesome, runs about $1000 for 2 days of pew pew. This is gas for the 10-14 hour drive (round trip), hotel, food, ammo, and the event itself.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Peacemaker near Martinsburg WV, however, there are only certain days per month when it is open for 1000+ yards.

I've looked at that range before (online) and see that the 1000y is members only. Membership is $200/year after a wait list and approval. It would be fun to do, and still cheaper than bang steel but I can't justify the time/money for what will probably be a single afternoon of shooting.

I've looked at that range before (online) and see that the 1000y is members only. Membership is $200/year after a wait list and approval. It would be fun to do, and still cheaper than bang steel but I can't justify the time/money for what will probably be a single afternoon of shooting.

I have shot there as a non-member. The event cost more for non-members, but it was available. It was an event called "Frontier Day". (Link to a past event)
    https://www.facebook.com/PNTCWV/pos...ce-sessions-in-the-past-year/689789461067674/

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I have property that i can shoot up to 550 yards comfortably. I can make it 600 yards by pushing it but can be done "safe enough".

Hey ole buddy, ole pal! :innocent0

What have you been shooting at your range?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Hey ole buddy, ole pal! :innocent0

What have you been shooting at your range?

firearm or target wise?

targets: balloons filled with sidewalk chalk (poof), gongs, shotgun clays on stands.. paper.. and groundhogs.

firearms: 9mm, 40, 45, 6.5x55 sweed, 223, 308, 30-06, 300 win mag... and several more. No 50bmg though... mostly because i dont own one HAHAH

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Peacemaker has several ranges. The day of the week determines how far they are shooting on the 1000-yard range. The Frontier range is only opened a few times a year and is referenced in the above Facebook posting. Peacemaker has been running specials for reduced membership. Depending on the special one can save up to $50 on membership.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    for peacemaker, as a non-member, they have 'frontier days' most months where you can shoot informally at their 1200yd range littered with steel targets. think it's $50 for members and another $20+/- for non-members. then most months they have a fun/belly match at their 1200yd range (long range challenge). and then a couple of one and two-day PRS matches sprinkled in throughout the year with both prone and positional shooting. great place and nice folks, both shooters and staff there.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    firearm or target wise?

targets: balloons filled with sidewalk chalk (poof), gongs, shotgun clays on stands.. paper.. and groundhogs.

firearms: 9mm, 40, 45, 6.5x55 sweed, 223, 308, 30-06, 300 win mag... and several more. No 50bmg though... mostly because i dont own one HAHAH

well....darn....shuckz...how's bout 338LM or .30-378 WM ;);)

-Rock

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Quantico Shooting Club. Ranges up to 1000 yards and they open them regularly on the weekends. If you live within 60nm of the base as the crow flies (Annapolis is right inside the edge), you can join. No wait list or sponsorship required.

Matt

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Quantico Shooting Club. Ranges up to 1000 yards and they open them regularly on the weekends. If you live within 60nm of the base as the crow flies (Annapolis is right inside the edge), you can join. No wait list or sponsorship required.

Matt

https://quanticoshootingclub.com/membership shows: A Civilian employee of the Department of Defense.. i say.. Green lives matter.

I'll pass based on this discrimination. Thanks though.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

That's roughly a three hour drive for me. Which I would do. I need to get my Barrett back out for long distance shooting. Delmarva Sporting clays was ok for 300 yards but now they prohibit .50 BMG's. AGC is only 200 yards.

I've researched that Mifflin range a couple of years earlier. Thanks for jogging my memory again about it :thumbsup:

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    https://quanticoshootingclub.com/membership shows: A Civilian employee of the Department of Defense.. i say.. Green lives matter.

I'll pass based on this discrimination. Thanks though.

I don't understand. If you aren't in the regular membership category you join as an associate member. I've been an associate member of QSC for over 10 years without issue. No military or LE affiliation. Just a private citizen.

Can you clue me in here or was this a bad analogy I'm not getting? There aren't many 1000 yard ranges open to the public and the USMC ranges are very good. Just trying to help.

Matt

Last edited:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    That's roughly a three hour drive for me. Which I would do. I need to get my Barrett back out for long distance shooting. Delmarva Sporting clays was ok for 300 yards but now they prohibit .50 BMG's. AGC is only 200 yards.

I've researched that Mifflin range a couple of years earlier. Thanks for jogging my memory again about it :thumbsup:

We should schedule a MDS shoot like there used to be at Delmarva before 50s were banned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom