• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Any one else planning on making some squirrel stew?

I look forward every year.

Planning on a camping trip with my buddy late September. Hoping to bag my days limit and make some stew for dinner.

What do you typically use? 22 lr, 22 wmr, 12 gauge?

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Been using 22 shorts since I was 11. Not as easy to find shorts as it was back in the '60s, but I have enough to last for 5-6 years... Ive got a blind overlooking a holler on the family farm in eastern TN. Generally good for 10-12 tree rats a trip.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    buddy of mine just picked up 40 acres... he's invited me out for rabbit and squirrel culling... i cant wait and i'll be using a my trusty 10/22

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    I recently got my hunter ed certification but haven't been out yet. I would like to learn to hunt squirrels and rabbits and how to prepare them to eat. Any chance of finding a mentor?

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    I recently got my hunter ed certification but haven't been out yet. I would like to learn to hunt squirrels and rabbits and how to prepare them to eat. Any chance of finding a mentor?
    Where do you live?

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Where do you live?

I'm in Silver Spring, MD. But I can travel. In fact, I'm looking for a reason to get out of the area. There are plenty of squirrels and rabbits (and deer) in my neighborhood but in this part of Montgomery County discharging a firearm is frowned upon. :)

Last edited:

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I opportunistically hunt them all (legal) season in my yard/ woods. Suppressed 10/22 with cci segmented HPs has been my proven combo.

I make stew with them in a crock pot. My wife thinks they are gross and doesn’t like the idea of it, but I make the kids try them.

For who was asking about preparing them, this is the way I skin them.

https://youtu.be/4c8OyexZ10E

After that it is just meat. You can cook them on the grill after a marinade, or any number of ways. Lots of recipes out there, but I like stew.

I opportunistically hunt them all (legal) season in my yard/ woods. Suppressed 10/22 with cci segmented HPs has been my proven combo.

I make stew with them in a crock pot. My wife thinks they are gross and doesn’t like the idea of it, but I make the kids try them.

For who was asking about preparing them, this is the way I skin them.

https://youtu.be/4c8OyexZ10E

After that it is just meat. You can cook them on the grill after a marinade, or any number of ways. Lots of recipes out there, but I like stew.

try them grilled with you fav bbq sauce

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Subscribed. I have an 11 y/o that wants to start hunting, and I'm no hunter...Hoping this is a good way to get him started. Just need to figure out where.

Is there a good site for a summary of squirrel hunting rules in MD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom