• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I'm not necessarily looking for cheap, I'm looking for better than good. I spent 5 years at Dulles working in the air freight warehouses off of the side of the runway, and, while in the warehouses no one wore hearing protection. Only when we went out to the tarmac and gates. Three days a week with the concord landing and taking off, those metal warehouse bays just amplified the sound. Along with a lot of concerts ( at least my ears never hurt or rang after the Dead, everyone else they did) I'd like to keep what hearing I have left. I presently double up on plugs and headsets since the indoor ranges get too loud for me without doubling up.

I second MaxVO2’s recommendation. The MSA Supreme Pro-X (sold under Sordin now) are simply amazing. Especially the gel cup version.

When I think of all the money I’ve spent on gun stuff that sits in a box, the Sordin’s are some of the best money I’ve spent on this hobby.

The sound attenuation is pretty good. I’ve only used the muffs when shooting handguns outdoors alone and with others shooting. I would likely double up with plugs indoors.

My hearing is such that I can carry on normal everyday conversations but in a crowded room the voices all muddle together. I also always had trouble communicating with people at the range unless I took my muffs off or pulled them off one ear slightly.

With the Sordins, I can carry on a normal conversation and still be protected. I splurged on them before an outdoor class with Gun Commander because I was afraid I would not be able to hear instructions otherwise. They performed great. In shooting mode I can hear well enough. With the push of a button you can go into focus mode and hear voices even better.

When at AGC I can hear the carpenter bees buzzing while shooting and can tell what direction they are coming from.

So bottom line for me, I love the Sordins for their natural sounding directional sound amplification for communication and knowing what’s going on around me. The Attenuation for 9mm outdoors has been more than adequate.

I tried a set of walkers but I never liked them. I couldn’t get a good seal at the bottom of the ear cup. That could be my head shape and also I wear prescription glasses that don’t sit flat to my head. So could just be my issue.

ETA: I have worn them for hours and they are comfortable as well.

Last edited:

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    Which do you think forms and seals better around prescription glasses, gel or foam?

The other issue I have is that I have a small head. My stature and size is basically the same as douche bag Fauci.

Sheffield202

Feb 6, 2021
    I recently purchased a set of Walker Razor muffs. They have an attachment that allows you to turn them into 2 way radios. Push to talk, the unit plugs into the muffs, the channels are the normal 2 way channels so you can network them together. They work amazing I was on the range and heard people talking and realized that the shooters were literally 2 ranges over.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I bought a pair of these 7 years ago and they're still going strong. 30nrr, which is better than most. Someone sells a gel cup that fits, which also makes them way more comfortable. Not slim at all, but for pistol shooting, these were the best ear protection available at the time.

Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff (R-01902) https://a.co/d/c18BBod

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Which do you think forms and seals better around prescription glasses, gel or foam?

The other issue I have is that I have a small head. My stature and size is basically the same as douche bag Fauci.

Gel seals better in general IMHO. Some foam muffs may be just as good but there is a reason gel seals are an ‘upgrade’ and cost more. Well, they probably cost more to produce as well.

Put it this way, after years of foam cups, I won’t go back to them.

The gel cups seal better around my prescription glasses.

I’m pretty sure you can get gel seal upgrade kits for Walkers as well. They may even sell versions that come with them. I haven’t looked at their offerings in awhile.

The Sordins have a way more natural sounding amplification than the Walkers I tried. They have some cheaper ones but if that is important to you, you want to look at their Hear2 feature I think it’s called.

Since you will be shooting inside, I would probably double up anyway.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    +1 for MSA Sordins doubled up indoors with the volume turned up all the way. It's not just for covering your sound levels, but the guy next to you indoors. I've had mine for so long that the gel cups disintegrated. A new set and back in business. I find no issues with them sealing around large frame glasses.

Sep 28, 2023
    Darnestown, MD
    Hello y'all,

In a previous life I was an acoustic consultant for architects, so I understand noise and sound a bit more from the scientific side (it's all energy flowing).
    I'm also a lifelong shooter.
    So, in my opinion, the best way to go about protecting your hearing from the damage of not only high sound pressure levels, but also the concussion "wave" resulting from the use of muzzle-brakes at the range is to do things a bit in reverse:
    Use the highest rating/fattest earmuffs you can, they do not need to be electronic.
    Then use in-ear electronic clipping/amplifying plugs.

What happens when this is done is that you do not only keep out the high dB's, but also keep out the concussion wave produced by muzzle-brakes doing what they are intended to do: diverting the very quickly expanding gases from the muzzle blast sideways, or even a bit backwards; which is exactly where you are located when someone at the benches is using a brake.

And then whatever remains after the keeping out of all the bad stuff, the in-ear protection amplifies to usable levels.

Shooting big, braked, magnum revolvers indoors? Even more! So go for the biggest, fattest, ear muffs you can wear. In this case you do not need to put your head down into a stock.

In addition to being a double protection, you can then remove your earmuffs between strings or stints (when no one is actually shooting) and still be somewhat protected from loud far noises (people shooting in some adjacent range) while enjoying some help from the in-ear devices.

Which to choose is a question of budget and preferences (but stick to the shooting oriented devices). Do some research and go to a large outdoors store (B-P, Cabela's, S-W, etc.) and see/hear for yourself. You CAN achieve very good protection levels with moderate investment, but whatever investment you decide to make is useless if it is so uncomfortable that you do not wear them OR if they do not fit YOUR head.

HTH, keep well and shoot straight!

HM

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Hello y'all,

So, in my opinion, the best way to go about protecting your hearing from the damage of not only high sound pressure levels, but also the concussion "wave" resulting from the use of muzzle-brakes at the range is to do things a bit in reverse:
    Use the highest rating/fattest earmuffs you can, they do not need to be electronic.

HM

Thanks for the suggestion. Any recommendations on in-ear electronic plugs? The walker and caldwells all seem to have issues with fit or battery life or life span.

Sherman

Nov 5, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion. Any recommendations on in-ear electronic plugs? The walker and caldwells all seem to have issues with fit or battery life or life span.
    I've heard that "OTTO NoizeBarrier Micro" are some of the best to get, they are definitely a buy once cry once item.

Sep 28, 2023
    Darnestown, MD
    I have the Walker's "Silencer" earbuds (no Bluetooth)

Amazon product ASIN B06XMQTWQL
    They work well with my Shotgunner earmuffs by Peltor that I bought ages ago...

We are all different, so what fits one person may not fit another. The Walkers came with 3 different sized foam inserts and 3 different sized "ear hooks".
    After some testing, I settled on the four small parts, but there is a difference between the small, the medium and the large. Some combination of the 18 possibilities should fit well most people.

I find ALL the "in ear" thingies somewhat uncomfortable, even for airplane flying I cannot use in-the-ear thingies and prefer my Sony headphones, but that is just me.
    Seldom I am in the shooting range more than 6 hours at a time anyway.

HM

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Hello y'all,

In a previous life I was an acoustic consultant for architects, so I understand noise and sound a bit more from the scientific side (it's all energy flowing).
    I'm also a lifelong shooter.

What happens when this is done is that you do not only keep out the high dB's, but also keep out the concussion wave produced by muzzle-brakes doing what they are intended to do: diverting the very quickly expanding gases from the muzzle blast sideways, or even a bit backwards; which is exactly where you are located when someone at the benches is using a brake.

And then whatever remains after the keeping out of all the bad stuff, the in-ear protection amplifies to usable levels.

Shooting big, braked, magnum revolvers indoors? Even more! So go for the biggest, fattest, ear muffs you can wear. In this case you do not need to put your head down into a stock.

In addition to being a double protection, you can then remove your earmuffs between strings or stints (when no one is actually shooting) and still be somewhat protected from loud far noises (people shooting in some adjacent range) while enjoying some help from the in-ear devices.

Which to choose is a question of budget and preferences (but stick to the shooting oriented devices). Do some research and go to a large outdoors store (B-P, Cabela's, S-W, etc.) and see/hear for yourself. You CAN achieve very good protection levels with moderate investment, but whatever investment you decide to make is useless if it is so uncomfortable that you do not wear them OR if they do not fit YOUR head.

HM
    Thanks for the cool range idea that I may give a try since I have approached this from the opposite direction. I usually use foam earplugs, then crank the HL Scouts up to full volume to hear the RSO and converse normally. The plugs plus the muffs get over 32 db reduction. For hunting, just don't use the ear plugs and listen to squirrel farts all day. ;-) For non range work, (like at a farm), use passive 32-db muffs plus the ear plugs to approach 40-db or there about.

My only complaint about the HL Scouts is that they will begin to hurt my ears if I wear 'em long enough. A more cushioned ear cup would solve this and their replacements cushions are about the same as their OEM cushions and don't help in this area. Finally, the Scouts are much slimmer than the Walkers and other muffs I've tried. This helps if you muffs hit your stock at the range or in the woods. With handguns this is no problem o.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    My 10 year old Howard Leights died while in the stand last weekend. There was a pop then silence, I turned them off and back on and there was contentious static on my left ear. They didnt owe me anything after all this time and I was 98% satisfied with them except for the occasional cell phone induced 1990s modem like interference sounds. Do the Walker’s Razor or the Sordins do this? I am looking at the Walker Razor Slims and the Sordin Pro-X LED 75302-X-07-S. I might just put both the news ones and the old Howard Leights on my xmas list and buy whatever I dont get since having 3 sets would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom