• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    For the best performance, optimize the suppressor for the caliber. Doing a one size fits all results in substandard performance. a 1 decibel difference makes a big difference to the trained ear.

Good choice and congratulations to the HKUSP9 SD....You will be happy with it. I'm certain of that.

It will gove you 1970s era sound suppression. It will ne at or sligbtly above hearing safe bit nothing close to modern pistol caliber dedicated suppressor technogy.

Rifle caliber suppressors are more efficient using smaller projectiles throught them than pistol suppressors. It probably has to do with pressures and velocities and the larger internal vloume of large rifle suppressors. Where theres not much of a size difference in 45 cans compared to 9mm.

Great advice guys! I appreciate the info, and will abandon the idea of one size fits all when it comes to pistol suppressors. Thanks for talking some sense into me.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Question about installing new sights:

Are they best left to a gunsmith or can I do it myself? Everything I've read says hk sights are stupid easy to instal, but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Question about installing new sights:

Are they best left to a gunsmith or can I do it myself? Everything I've read says hk sights are stupid easy to instal, but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks!

Do you have a padded vise and some brass punches?

if you do then yes, not too bad to install.

Tape the tip of the punch and remove the sights (Keep them, they are GOOD Sights) and instal your replacement ones. Keep an eye on the tape, if it wears thin add some tape to the tip again. If the brass wears through use aluminum black on the brass marks and it wil vanish.

if you do it be careful, your could screww up a 1K pistol. If you choose a Smith be SURE they are a good one. Theres ALOT of hacks out there. I see screwed up guns all of the time from other so called smiths.

Oh, and BTW, EXCELLENT choice on the USP. Best 9mm made next to S&W 952 and SIG 210 IMO. There is no better suppresssor ready 9mm than what you have though. VERY NICE.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Do you have a padded vise and some brass punches?

if you do then yes, not too bad to install.

Tape the tip of the punch and remove the sights (Keep them, they are GOOD Sights) and instal your replacement ones. Keep an eye on the tape, if it wears thin add some tape to the tip again. If the brass wears through use aluminum black on the brass marks and it wil vanish.

if you do it be careful, your could screww up a 1K pistol. If you choose a Smith be SURE they are a good one. Theres ALOT of hacks out there. I see screwed up guns all of the time from other so called smiths.

Oh, and BTW, EXCELLENT choice on the USP. Best 9mm made next to S&W 952 and SIG 210 IMO. There is no better suppresssor ready 9mm than what you have though. VERY NICE.

Appreciate the info. Night sights are on our radar, but the wife made a good observation - "what's the advantage of having night sights on a weapon with tac light?" The stock sights are great already, would the addition of 3 tritium lamps make that big of a difference when the light is on? I'm not asking rhetorically, I'm really looking for info.

Meprolight makes a pretty nice looking set, but are there other brands to consider? What about Trijicon?

Thanks again, we are really excited about the purchase. I'm definitely going to purchase a .45 Tactical in the future, and god help me if I can find a new Mk23 because I'm pretty sure the wife would kill me... :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Appreciate the info. Night sights are on our radar, but the wife made a good observation - "what's the advantage of having night sights on a weapon with tac light?" The stock sights are great already, would the addition of 3 tritium lamps make that big of a difference when the light is on? I'm not asking rhetorically, I'm really looking for info.

Meprolight makes a pretty nice looking set, but are there other brands to consider? What about Trijicon?

Thanks again, we are really excited about the purchase. I'm definitely going to purchase a .45 Tactical in the future, and god help me if I can find a new Mk23 because I'm pretty sure the wife would kill me... :D

IMO, Nightsights are pointless for most scenarios. HK Sights are already tall and they are adjustable on your gun for pinpoint POA/POI.

I removed all of the Night Sights on all of my Handguns, all I run now are Serrated Rear (Where Possible) and Black Front with a Gold Bead (I installed this). Gold Beads are Classic but Classic things are Classics for a reason, they WORK. Even in low light with my Tac Light I can see the silouhette of the rear and the Gold Bead on the Front.

Night Sights suck IMO.

Heres my .45, shes a little beat up from me carrying her all the time.

2012-07-01_15-37-09_105.jpg

2012-07-01_15-36-58_742.jpg

2012-07-01_15-36-45_570.jpg

2012-07-01_15-36-14_515.jpg

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    IMO, Nightsights are pointless for most scenarios. HK Sights are already tall and they are adjustable on your gun for pinpoint POA/POI.

I removed all of the Night Sights on all of my Handguns, all I run now are Serrated Rear (Where Possible) and Black Front with a Gold Bead (I installed this). Gold Beads are Classic but Classic things are Classics for a reason, they WORK. Even in low light with my Tac Light I can see the silouhette of the rear and the Gold Bead on the Front.

Night Sights suck IMO.

Heres my .45, shes a little beat up from me carrying her all the time.

2012-07-01_15-37-09_105.jpg

2012-07-01_15-36-58_742.jpg

2012-07-01_15-36-45_570.jpg

2012-07-01_15-36-14_515.jpg

Man, that gold bead is freaking bright! Again, thanks for the input. I'm not in any hurry to change the sights out, so I'll continue to mull it over. You make a strong case though.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The match is nice, but it isn't going to address the take-up/reset - both of which are long IMO. I have the match trigger in my USP .45, the pull's nice, have it set for nearly zero over-travel, and the break's pretty clean, but no change in take-up/reset.

ETA: I'll go back to letting those with much more experience give their input.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The match is nice, but it isn't going to address the take-up/reset - both of which are long IMO. I have the match trigger in my USP .45, the pull's nice, have it set for nearly zero over-travel, and the break's pretty clean, but no change in take-up/reset.

ETA: I'll go back to letting those with much more experience give their input.

Thanks Brad, I appreciate it. I value all input and I realized after the fact that by specifically asking Clandestine/SCAR by name for info I was potentially making others consider not contributing.

My bad. I should think more about how I come across. You have more time behind the trigger of an HK and therefore have more experience than I do. I welcome your advice. Thanks!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    No offense taken (:thumbsup:), but when it comes to the Class III stuff, Chad and SCAR have way more knowledge than me when it comes to what works and what should be avoided. So I purposefully kept quiet for the most part. Learned a few things while doing so too. :)

Other's here have probably got more time in with HK's than I do, but in terms of the Match trigger and USP's, I felt that bit of info could be useful.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    For the best performance, optimize the suppressor for the caliber. Doing a one size fits all results in substandard performance. a 1 decibel difference makes a big difference to the trained ear.

Good choice and congratulations to the HKUSP9 SD....You will be happy with it. I'm certain of that.

I guess the question I have is, would it make all that much of a difference in the comfort level of the noise? It seems that the OP was worried about being hearing impaired after firing. Does a decibel or 2 make a whole lot of difference?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I guess the question I have is, would it make all that much of a difference in the comfort level of the noise? It seems that the OP was worried about being hearing impaired after firing. Does a decibel or 2 make a whole lot of difference?

I'd guess that to most people, on a open-air range, 1 decible wouldn't be highly perceptible. But in the confines of a home/apt./townhouse, every decible counts (in my mind).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom