• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    Btw, there is a sweet sounding glock 43 single stack on the classified section with spare mags and night sites... Not super cheap, but a handy package if you have smaller hands. This one would make a sweet carry pistol if ever desired.

For bigger 16 oz sized hands there is a berretta fs 92 there too. Again, maybe worth considering....

Ps neither are mine, and i dont know the sellers, but have had good experiences buying here in the past.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    I recommend against the Creed. The PPQ M2 is a much better gun for not a lot more money. If you can make it to the Timonium gun show I believe South Mountain Arms had both in stock. They're in Frederick but its not too far out of your way.

Although you really should just buy Glock.

South Mountain Arms is in Keedysville & you spend a lot on sunglasses :lol2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Big $ sunglasses are just male jewlery for the face. If you're inclined, go for it.

However, you should reverse the budgets for pants and belt. Store brand WalMart jeans will get the job done. But you need at least a decent single piece solid cowhide to support a holster .

Meanwhile back at the OP ... From his stated preference, and playing the odds , I'll speculate he's looking at the broad catagory of " 9mm semiauto, aprox 4in bbl, of generally compact-ish duty size, for all around use, medium price point" . A popular catagory, not unreasonable choice absent strong specific need for somthing else.

If you make the Timonium show, after visiting Mopar @ Blue Fin's booth, stop by the MSI booth, and I'll try to convince you for either K Frame, or EAA Witness.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Clearly everyone here is 100% wrong in their gun recommendations. The one true answer is a S&W 629 revolver. ;)

All of the new Walthers will deactivate their trigger if the slide is pushed slightly back and the trigger is pulled. While this may be a safety feature to prevent out of battery firing, it is dangerous for the shooter if he or she is fighting in contact.

The real answer, though, is to go to training before buying anything. Attend NRA Basic Pistol for safety training and basics. Go to FPF Training for two days one weekend and learn how to properly protect yourself. Start with "Concealed Carry: Foundation Skills" and take "Street Encounter Skills" immediately. I have taken many classes and John is excellent. His range is in Culpeper, Virginia.

https://www.fpftraining.com

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    There is no 'Best' pistol. There is only the pistol that is 'best for you'. Before you buy anything, make sure you go out and get a chance to shoot it first. It would be even better if you could find a range where you can rent guns or where a group of folks like us go so that you can try a variety of guns. When I take someone new, I start them with a 22lr. Once they are comfortable, I let them try a variety of pistol types and make every attempt to invite other friends to share their favorite pistols.

The reason you need to shoot it first is that there are two distinct grip types: 1) luger, and 2) 1911. You may shoot one of these better than the other. I like the SIGs (1911) and my wife likes the Glocks (luger). You will be able to shoot either of them if you had to, but you will be more likely to go to the range and shoot the one that you like more. Get a 22lr for practice and fun. I have a conversion kit of my full sized SIG. Most of my practice is with a 22lr. I'll switch over to 9mm to confirm my accuracy.

A neighbor friend practically forced a 'home defense' DVD on me and asked me for feedback. I was short and sweet: where were the long guns? It only covered pistols in the home and it assumed that you would be wearing one on a holster 24/7. There were so many drills on holster draws. If there was a scenario where you are woken up from a deep sleep, the instructor probably would have demonstrated sleeping with a holster on and how to draw from a horizontal position on your back. There was no discussion of reinforcing doors, alarms, or other important home defense topics. It was more of a 'my police training (or Cowboy Shooting) with a pistol applies to home defense' DVD. Consider a long gun for home defense.

Someone suggested getting a single stack concealed carry pistol and I think this is a great idea. You are more likely to carry a pistol that is comfortable and light. A single stack can be dropped into a pair of gym shorts without sending them to your ankles. You can carry in your home and around your property. Why not be discrete about it during all seasons (especially the summer)? My full sized pistol stays in the safe while the single stack is with me all of the time. Selling the full sized pistols enters my mind from time to time.

Hi-points work. Buy one and keep one. If nothing else, you can lend it to a friend in need temporarily (I think you can still do that in MD, right?). Bring it to the range and shoot it. Don't be surprised if others want to try it. The range is not a fashion show or a competition. If you're there and you're actively observing the safety rules, you're OK in my books no matter what you are shooting or wearing (including sunglasses).

(I honestly hope someone rips this to shreds, so that another perspective is presented)

Chikane

Mar 29, 2017
    Hey there,

Welcome! Like you I'm new and I was also going to look into the Creed but I considered my purpose and decided it was better for me to get a striker fire for constant similar trigger pull. I then went on a journey and spent about two months trying out guns and I can say that the PPQ is probably the best choice for something $550, for around the creed's price Canik TP9SF is also good since it comes with everything you need at the under $400 price. The creed is a great choice for a new person who like hammer fire and if you're using it for personal defense. Our purpose is similar in that regards except I'm looking to do Competition and need something that I feel comfortable and can do both. With that said the PPQ M2 At 4" is my go to choice. However I'm waiting to check out a P10C and the APX which is coming soon to the roster I hope. If hammer is really what you like don't forget to consider the steel CZ75. But again if budget is your biggest concern, Canik or Creed are solid choices.

Thanks! Have fun from one new guy to another :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    All of the new Walthers will deactivate their trigger if the slide is pushed slightly back and the trigger is pulled. While this may be a safety feature to prevent out of battery firing, it is dangerous for the shooter if he or she is fighting in contact.

Very few handguns will fire when the slide is slightly retracted rearward...which is a good thing, because you don't want out of battery detonations. As far as contact distance fighting... that's one strong advantage for mounting a weaponlight, such as a TLR1HL or surefire x300 that protrudes beyond the barrel to your carry gun. If you do make the mistake of pressing the gun into the threat, the light should keep the slide forward in most cases.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well, a 629 probably isn't the right first pistol, but revolvers are indeed a viable option.

A 3-4in M10 or M64 would be the counterpart to the class of semi's under discussion . A M19 or M65 would allow the eventual option of .357, but you will be shooting mainly .38spl to start, and the better .38+P loads are plenty adaquate for defense.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    You havent qualified your purpose, and there are so many options out there... Striker or hammer fired, revolver, internal or external hammers? Purposes can inclue open carry, concealed carry, home defense, range time, hunting, zombie apocalypse... Sizes range from competition extended lengths all the way to subcompact or even derringer.

Are you mechanically inclined or is easy cleaning a priority?

I guess it probably would have been nice if I had pointed out my intentions when I started.

I dont carry, and dont hunt, and i do not feel it necessary to arm my house, but were situations to change (drastically) the g22 seems a nice open carry or bug out bag option.

This sounds kind of like where I am. I am not looking for a CC weapon or something to hunt with. I guess I am pretty much looking for something that I can take to the range for some recreational shooting. Like I posted earlier, I am not sure how often I will be able to use it and who knows, it may turn out that I don't enjoy it. These are the reasons that I don't want to sink a ton of money at the beginning, but I still want quality so that I don't wind up not liking it because I have junk.

Point is there are a tremdous number of options. If price is a concern, realize ammo choice may have more importance than initial $, and for reange regulars it often makes sense to but whole new 9mm or even .22 just to reduce ammo costs over time....

I have even begun to think about starting with a .22 instead of the Creed since my main use at this point is recreational. I will probably be heading down to Timonium this weekend but I am not sure if it will be Saturday or Sunday. I am also going to look into getting together with a friend of mine to go try out some guns at a local range.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    There is no 'Best' pistol. There is only the pistol that is 'best for you'. Before you buy anything, make sure you go out and get a chance to shoot it first. It would be even better if you could find a range where you can rent guns or where a group of folks like us go so that you can try a variety of guns. When I take someone new, I start them with a 22lr. Once they are comfortable, I let them try a variety of pistol types and make every attempt to invite other friends to share their favorite pistols.

The reason you need to shoot it first is that there are two distinct grip types: 1) luger, and 2) 1911. You may shoot one of these better than the other. I like the SIGs (1911) and my wife likes the Glocks (luger). You will be able to shoot either of them if you had to, but you will be more likely to go to the range and shoot the one that you like more. Get a 22lr for practice and fun. I have a conversion kit of my full sized SIG. Most of my practice is with a 22lr. I'll switch over to 9mm to confirm my accuracy.

A neighbor friend practically forced a 'home defense' DVD on me and asked me for feedback. I was short and sweet: where were the long guns? It only covered pistols in the home and it assumed that you would be wearing one on a holster 24/7. There were so many drills on holster draws. If there was a scenario where you are woken up from a deep sleep, the instructor probably would have demonstrated sleeping with a holster on and how to draw from a horizontal position on your back. There was no discussion of reinforcing doors, alarms, or other important home defense topics. It was more of a 'my police training (or Cowboy Shooting) with a pistol applies to home defense' DVD. Consider a long gun for home defense.

Someone suggested getting a single stack concealed carry pistol and I think this is a great idea. You are more likely to carry a pistol that is comfortable and light. A single stack can be dropped into a pair of gym shorts without sending them to your ankles. You can carry in your home and around your property. Why not be discrete about it during all seasons (especially the summer)? My full sized pistol stays in the safe while the single stack is with me all of the time. Selling the full sized pistols enters my mind from time to time.

Hi-points work. Buy one and keep one. If nothing else, you can lend it to a friend in need temporarily (I think you can still do that in MD, right?). Bring it to the range and shoot it. Don't be surprised if others want to try it. The range is not a fashion show or a competition. If you're there and you're actively observing the safety rules, you're OK in my books no matter what you are shooting or wearing (including sunglasses).

(I honestly hope someone rips this to shreds, so that another perspective is presented)

Which DVD did your neighbor insist you watch?

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Welcome from Rising Sun! I have an older Ruger MK1 .22 that I like to shoot and all my new to shooting friends break in with it. They all love it and more than once I have turned down offers to buy it. Ruger just came out with MKIV which is more friendly to break down for cleaning.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Big $ sunglasses are just male jewlery for the face. If you're inclined, go for it.

However, you should reverse the budgets for pants and belt. Store brand WalMart jeans will get the job done. But you need at least a decent single piece solid cowhide to support a holster .

Meanwhile back at the OP ... From his stated preference, and playing the odds , I'll speculate he's looking at the broad catagory of " 9mm semiauto, aprox 4in bbl, of generally compact-ish duty size, for all around use, medium price point" . A popular catagory, not unreasonable choice absent strong specific need for somthing else.

If you make the Timonium show, after visiting Mopar @ Blue Fin's booth, stop by the MSI booth, and I'll try to convince you for either K Frame, or EAA Witness.

My sunglasses are impact rated. Not true ballistic protection but should serve decently for CCW purposes. My belt is a Dickies heavy duty leather belt. Solid unfinished leather about a 1/4" thick. It's not as good as my riggers belt but I'm dicking around with some stuff and its a bit more comfy than my usual setup.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Very few handguns will fire when the slide is slightly retracted rearward...which is a good thing, because you don't want out of battery detonations. As far as contact distance fighting... that's one strong advantage for mounting a weaponlight, such as a TLR1HL or surefire x300 that protrudes beyond the barrel to your carry gun. If you do make the mistake of pressing the gun into the threat, the light should keep the slide forward in most cases.

This is worse. Sorry I was not clear. The trigger is deactivated after the pull and the slide must be worked in order to reactivate the trigger.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Well, since I haven't opened enough cans of worms already this week, do you have any specific ones that you would recommend? :innocent0

It depends again on what job you want it to fill. You essentially have three popular options for a .22 pistol...
    1) a trainer for a service caliber
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-22-10-round-threaded-barrel

Basically you get this as a step up in a training progression from airsoft, to CO2 bb, to .22. It gives you the general feel and controls of the service gun you're looking at eventually getting. It allows you to get lots of cheap trigger time and you can practice everything but handling actual recoil of a 9mm. They can still be pretty accurate, but usually not as accurate as a dedicated target gun.
    2) a dedicated .22 target gun
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/22349/ruger_mark_iv_hunter_22_7_ss

Of you have the means, a s&w model 41 is excellent. If you want to pay much less money, a ruger mk3 is a great gun. They make a 22/45 if you want a grip that's closer to the feel of a 1911 rather than a luger/glock. They come tapped to mount a base and red dot if you choose to dick around with that. They're very accurate and durable guns.

The skill transfer isn't 100% to a service pistol though, as manipulation will be pretty different.

3) a conversion kit for your service caliber firearm
    http://www.glockstore.com/22-LR-Conversion-Kit-for-Glocks

Buying a used glock for cheap and a .22 conversion is a great option. If anything is wrong with the gun, glock will fix it for you. While glocks are pretty solid guns, their main value in my mind is the aftermarket for them. No other gun has as much aftermarket support as a glock. One of those aftermarket parts is a conversion kit.

It turns your g19 or g17 into a .22 for cheap practice on the same frame you use for 9mm. It's a nice way to get the best of both worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom