• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Here is an update I received today. I need to make a decision before the end of the day tomorrow. What to do????

"""Mr. xxxxx,

The armorers are working on Field Grade Specials at this time and it could take another week or longer for your order to be filled. I am just reaching out to you to see if you would be interested in changing your order to the Special grade rifle (RM1SPECIAL $1030) for an additional $200 since they are ready to ship. The rifles are not available online. We are just offering them to customers with orders already in house. Please let me know by March 31, if you are interested in changing your order. If not, you will receive an email once your Special Field grade order is ready to ship.

Thank you,

M........

Customer Relations/Sales Supervisor
    Civilian Marksmanship Program :'''''

Depends on what you are looking for. Before the tragic boating accident I had several of the "Specials" as well as other grades. To me the "Specials" are like buying a brand new rifle with new barrel, new stock, and the other parts refinished like new they look beautiful. They look like they just came from the factory and look like they would have when first issued to the troops. The other grades have more "Character" and show their used status plainly. They have more collector interest and most look like they have been used thus they contain more day dreaming potential.

To me you need some of each.

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    Depends on what you are looking for. Before the tragic boating accident I had several of the "Specials" as well as other grades. To me the "Specials" are like buying a brand new rifle with new barrel, new stock, and the other parts refinished like new they look beautiful. They look like they just came from the factory and look like they would have when first issued to the troops. The other grades have more "Character" and show their used status plainly. They have more collector interest and most look like they have been used thus they contain more day dreaming potential.

To me you need some of each.

Great advice. I decided on the Special Grades. I need two alternatives for the CMP matches this year. Thank you both your opinion.

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    22 days from mailing the orders the items have been shipped.

Dear CMP Customer

Order# 645xxxx which was placed on 03/31/17 has been shipped to:

Name & Address
    Rockville MD 20852
    USA

This order shipped through FedEx Priority. The tracking numbers are:
    786095xxxxxx
    786095xxxxxx

The following are the contents of this shipment:
    Qty Item-No Item-Description
    --------- --------------- ------------------------------
    2 RM1SPECIAL M1 Garand CMP Special Rifle
    2 PC006FREE Case, CMP Hard Rifle Case
    Free w/ Purchase of M1 Garand
    1 DONATION DONATION-Tax Deductible

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    I checked the order online and here are the two springfield serial numbers.

RM1SPECIAL M1 Garand CMP Special Rifle
    Serial #: 10013xx
    Serial #: 54315xx

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    They arrived today. They look brand new except for the receivers.

Here are the pics.

Attachments

• 20170403_204819.jpg
      20170403_204819.jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 167
    • 20170403_205022.jpg
      20170403_205022.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 172
    • 20170403_204725.jpg
      20170403_204725.jpg
      56.5 KB · Views: 170
    • 20170403_204532.jpg
      20170403_204532.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 163
    • 20170403_204846.jpg
      20170403_204846.jpg
      52.5 KB · Views: 170
    • 20170403_194638.jpg
      20170403_194638.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 166
    • 20170403_194712.jpg
      20170403_194712.jpg
      68.8 KB · Views: 169
    • 20170403_204927.jpg
      20170403_204927.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 174
    • 20170403_204624.jpg
      20170403_204624.jpg
      46.1 KB · Views: 171

mjbjhu

Oct 31, 2016
    Glen Burnie
    those special grades look gorgeous, too bad they are out for now. I want to get my first M1 that I can use as a shooter (not too interested in hanging on to them for a profit) but something about the considerable pitting above the wood line on the special field grades scares me. Anyone have any experience with them? or anyone have an M1 shooter they want to sell?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    those special grades look gorgeous, too bad they are out for now. I want to get my first M1 that I can use as a shooter (not too interested in hanging on to them for a profit) but something about the considerable pitting above the wood line on the special field grades scares me. Anyone have any experience with them? or anyone have an M1 shooter they want to sell?

For a shooter why worry about looks.

mjbjhu

Oct 31, 2016
    Glen Burnie
    For a shooter why worry about looks.

not so much worried about looks but more the structural integrity long term of a pitted receiver. if there isn't much to worry about, then I'll probably jump on the $830 ones from CMP

I'm just starting to learn about M1s so any input is appreciated

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    not so much worried about looks but more the structural integrity long term of a pitted receiver. if there isn't much to worry about, then I'll probably jump on the $830 ones from CMP

I'm just starting to learn about M1s so any input is appreciated

No issues. The pitting is on the non structural parts and with the Special grades, it would be blasted and finished over anyway. The actual Field Grades that my friends and I have bought all had some pitting, but none of it was very deep or in bad places.

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    I started working on the wood last night. The plan is 3 to 4 layers of boiled linseed oil. The first layer was placed and the wood looks great. I will let it sit for three days before the second layer. I'm testing a diferent method for one and comparing the results. In one I am sanding the oil with 420 sandpaper in between each layer. A soft sanding to create a muddy texture. I saw this method used in youtube and im intrigue in seeing the diference. The purpose of the sandpaper is to seal the pores and creat a satin look. I will post pictures for each phase to share the results.

Thanks to all for responding and sharing your knowledge. Dont lissen to Ken792. He will get you hooked and addicted to M1s. He is the reason for my addiction and all my M1s purchases.:innocent0

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You can also use the edible stuff sold as flaxseed oil instead of BLO. I got a bottle at Vitamin Shoppe. It ages a darker color quicker than BLO or even the stuff sold as RLO.

I would recommend wetting down the wood with water while doing the initial sanding. That will raise the grain so you can sand it down. That way, the wood won't become fuzzy the first time you shoot it in the rain or otherwise expose it to water.

Mixing some beeswax in with the oil 50-50 will also help with the satin look. The wax also seals the wood better if you're going to be shooting in the rain.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I started working on the wood last night. The plan is 3 to 4 layers of boiled linseed oil. The first layer was placed and the wood looks great. I will let it sit for three days before the second layer. I'm testing a diferent method for one and comparing the results. In one I am sanding the oil with 420 sandpaper in between each layer. A soft sanding to create a muddy texture. I saw this method used in youtube and im intrigue in seeing the diference. The purpose of the sandpaper is to seal the pores and creat a satin look. I will post pictures for each phase to share the results.

Thanks to all for responding and sharing your knowledge. Dont lissen to Ken792. He will get you hooked and addicted to M1s. He is the reason for my addiction and all my M1s purchases.:innocent0

Basic rule of thumb for lined oil finish, one coat a day for a week, one coat a week for a month, one coat a month for a year. One coat a year for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Basic rule of thumb for lined oil finish, one coat a day for a week, one coat a week for a month, one coat a month for a year. One coat a year for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This! I used tung oil as it doesn't have as high of a risk of fire but it served me very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom