• tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    20170414_183026.jpg

20170414_183049.jpg

20170414_183101.jpg

I went down to Engage with the intent to buy either the Orgies they had in .25ACP or the Savage 720 they posted. Someone else snagged the Ortgies, so I snagged the Savage. $250 seemed pretty fair considering the condition. Hoping to hit the trap range tomorrow to see how it handles.

I got into C&R for the military weapons, but have fallen in love with older "working class" guns. I know the "engraving" on this is actually stamped into the receiver, but it's pretty nice for what was ultimately a blue-collar shotgun. I like the little touches that all the older working guns had. You don't find that kind of thing on a low-cost shotgun these days, it's all reserved for the high level stuff.

Edit: Also, this is the third old shotgun in a row that I've bought that has a Pachmeyr White Line recoil pad. Do those things just magically attach themselves to every old shotgun?!?!

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County
    Recoil pad was the first item most people did to their guns. The magpul option of the time. The second item was hideous cutts or poly choke. Very nice shotgun. I have also been buying older "working class" guns. Take a look at the older savage sporters. I bought a savage sporter 23d in 22 hornet and I like it more than my Winchester model 43.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Recoil pad was the first item most people did to their guns. The magpul option of the time. The second item was hideous cutts or poly choke. Very nice shotgun. I have also been buying older "working class" guns. Take a look at the older savage sporters. I bought a savage sporter 23d in 22 hornet and I like it more than my Winchester model 43.

Yeah, I saw a lot of examples of these with either cutts comps or poly chokes when doing the research before going in. I was glad to see it was unmolested aside from the recoil pad. I'm not complaining honestly, a lot of people have said that these will punish you when firing. I'm skeptical since I often shoot short length-of-pull shotguns with no recoil spring (I often shoot a Riverside Arms 215 Side By Side Hammer Gun for trap). I know it won't be as gentle as my gas-operated 878, but it shouldn't slap me around like some of my other finds.

Hoping to hit up Tuscarora tomorrow to try it out. Depends on if I can escape the house or not. I checked the recoil spring and friction rings and it's already set up for light loads.

I'll definitely need to start keeping my eyes out for some Savage sporters!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Yeah, I saw a lot of examples of these with either cutts comps or poly chokes when doing the research before going in. I was glad to see it was unmolested aside from the recoil pad. I'm not complaining honestly, a lot of people have said that these will punish you when firing. I'm skeptical since I often shoot short length-of-pull shotguns with no recoil spring (I often shoot a Riverside Arms 215 Side By Side Hammer Gun for trap). I know it won't be as gentle as my gas-operated 878, but it shouldn't slap me around like some of my other finds.

Hoping to hit up Tuscarora tomorrow to try it out. Depends on if I can escape the house or not. I checked the recoil spring and friction rings and it's already set up for light loads.

I'll definitely need to start keeping my eyes out for some Savage sporters!

The 878 Automaster is the most gentle semi auto 12 gauge I have ever shot. My Browning Light Twelve and Remington Model 11, well, not so.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Nice find, the old A5's and A5 clones are great shotguns. As far as recoil they can be brutal if the friction system is set up wrong which has been the case with everyone I have bought. With the friction ring and washers set correctly they are actually quite soft shooting.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Nice find, the old A5's and A5 clones are great shotguns. As far as recoil they can be brutal if the friction system is set up wrong which has been the case with everyone I have bought. With the friction ring and washers set correctly they are actually quite soft shooting.

That was the first thing I did when I got home. The little ring is bevel-side to the receiver at the receiver end with the large ring at the forward end of the spring so it's set up for light loads. I know to move the little ring bevel side to the large ring when shooting heavy loads. ('Heavy' being 3-Dram and up according to the original manual).

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I shoot mainly target loads and always try the gun set for heavy loads, if it won't cycle set for heavy I switch to the light setting. Most of the friction rings are worn to some extent so the gun may cycle fine set to heavy. I also clean the tube the friction ring slides on and just wipe 2 drops of oil on the tube, you do not want to over lubricate as this defeats the purpose of the friction ring.
    My wife shoots one of my 12 gauge A5's for sporting clays and has no trouble shooting 100 rounds and the gun has no recoil pad, I set it up with new spring and friction piece and it is a very soft shooter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom