The Colt Cobra reborn: a legend rides again (2017 model release)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    At the 2017 Shot Show, Colt generated excitement in announcing the revival of its Cobra line of revolvers. Colt ceased making double action revolvers, including their popular “snake” guns years ago, ceding this territory to Smith & Wesson and Ruger in the US.

With the proliferation of shall issue and constitutional carry laws throughout the US in the last few decades, the marketplace for DA/SA and DA small frame, compact revolvers has become crowded, competitive, and, increasingly, a place of innovation. Below are some of the current options today’s gun shopper has ...

Smith & Wesson J-frames (5-shot, 38 Special and 38 Special/357 Magnum chamberings, snub nose to 3 inch barrels)
    Ruger LCR line (5-shot for 38 Special and 38 Special/357 Magnum chamberings, snub nose and 3 inch barrels)
    Kimber K6S (6-shot, 38 Special/357 Magnum, 2 and 3 inch barrels)
    Ruger SP101 line (5-shot for 38 Special/357 Magnum, multiple barrel lengths)
    Chiappa Rhino 200DS (6-shot for 38 Special/357 Magnum - but many caliber options, 2 inch and longer barrel lengths)
    Smith & Wesson K-frames (6-shot, 38 Special and 38 Special/357 Magnum chamberings, current releases are 2.75 inch barrels and longer) - larger and heavier that all the above

As many know, Colt has a fabled revolver history. Given the demand for snake guns on Gunbroker and elsewhere, they've decided to get back in the DA game.

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    At this point Colt has released one version of the new Cobra which only chambers 38 Special but has a 6-shot cylinder. It comes with a 2-inch barrel, Hogue grips, and a fiber-optic front sight that is user changeable to a brass bead or night sight.

Colt seems to have focused on functionality and ergos resulting in a utilitarian appearance. It’s no Python, or even Cobra of prior years, but it’s not meant to be. The finish is a satin matte that does not glare. The frame design is the most comfortable to hold of my small revolvers and nearly as good a fit as a S&W K-frame revolver in my hand. I wore it on my hip at home in a cheap Bianchi holster for a few hours, and it was almost as imperceptible as my S&W Model 60 snub nose or Walther PPS M2. It carries great.

On the Colt firearms forum, it’s been noted that this new release shares genetics and thus is almost certainly derived from the mid 90s era design of the Colt SF-VI that was later known as the Colt Detective Special II, or Colt DS-II ...

http://www.coltfever.com/SF-VI.html
    http://www.coltfever.com/DS-II.html

The single-action and double-action trigger pulls are fantastic. It’s a smoother DA than the very good DA pull on the Ruger LCR in 38 Special. This smooth DA pull can lead to user error for those that frequently shoot semi-automatic pistols with short trigger resets. I found myself taking multiple rapid DA dry fires given the satisfying uniform pull, but occasionally failing to allow the trigger to fully reset (which requires travel to the starting position) resulting in the cylinder not advancing and the hammer not dropping. Thus, if you switch between revolvers and semi-automatics for carry, practice with what you carry.

Immediately below: S&W 686+, S&W 64, Ruger SP101, Colt Cobra, S&W 60

Attachments

• IMG_20170727_201500.jpg
      IMG_20170727_201500.jpg
      86.4 KB · Views: 3,262
    • IMG_20170727_201538.jpg
      IMG_20170727_201538.jpg
      99 KB · Views: 3,080
    • IMG_20170727_220515.jpg
      IMG_20170727_220515.jpg
      112.2 KB · Views: 1,695
    • IMG_20170727_220554.jpg
      IMG_20170727_220554.jpg
      96.4 KB · Views: 1,761
    • IMG_20170727_224748.jpg
      IMG_20170727_224748.jpg
      86.4 KB · Views: 1,719
    • IMG_20170727_225017.jpg
      IMG_20170727_225017.jpg
      91.9 KB · Views: 1,720
    Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    In comparison to older snake guns or modern S&W revolvers, the new Cobra has some sharp lines and edges. A future iteration of the revolver might benefit from some “melting”/smoothing of edges to reduce a potential issue of snagging while drawing (depending on carry manner). There is also a noticeable gap where the barrel underlug meets the frame. While I do not 'mind the gap’, there are others online that are not happy. Given that the ejector was previously exposed, the underlug coverage is an improvement.

Right now, production of the new Cobra is said to be capped at a 1000 revolvers nationwide, making them scarcer than a Kel-Tec Sub2000 Gen 2 that takes Glock 19 mags. ;) Given the response by gun shoppers to the release, if Colt is able to scale up the manufacturing of DA/SA revolvers, I do look forward to upgrades and enhancements in the Cobra line, including a 357 Magnum offering (in a King Cobra re-release), longer barrel options, as well as a smooth, mirror blue finish option. At the same time, assuming the gun functions properly at the range, it’s a perfectly usable gun for conceal carry in urban settings. Should the need arise, six shots of 38 Special will get the job done.

I plan to test it with my some of my favorite revolvers, including a S&W Model 60 (no dash) snub nose in 38 Special, a Ruger SP101 in 357 Magnum with a 3-inch barrel, and S&W Model 64 in 38 Special with a 4-inch barrel. Although I don’t have these firearms, it would be fun to compare the Colt to other current production guns including the 38 Special Ruger LCR, 6-shot, 38 Special/357 Magnum, K-frame S&W Model 66 with 2.75-inch barrel, the Kimber K6S with 2-inch barrel, and the Rhino 200DS. Colt Detective Specials (the original and the DS-II) would also provide great baselines.

I’ll update the thread after a range trip. :D

Immediately below: Proofing mark on crane and illumination of the narrow gap between the underlug and frame

Attachments

• IMG_20170727_225802.jpg
      IMG_20170727_225802.jpg
      87.5 KB · Views: 1,738
    • IMG_20170727_230122.jpg
      IMG_20170727_230122.jpg
      73.7 KB · Views: 1,686
    • IMG_20170727_230429.jpg
      IMG_20170727_230429.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 1,663
    • IMG_20170727_230705.jpg
      IMG_20170727_230705.jpg
      36.3 KB · Views: 1,633
    • IMG_20170727_231458.jpg
      IMG_20170727_231458.jpg
      77 KB · Views: 1,636
    Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks for inviting me to join you last night! It's easy to understand why Colt-fans are so excited about this revolver. It feels great! The standard-issue grip fits better than any other small revolver I've held in recent memory. While SA trigger-pull is just so-so, DA is very smooth. Really appreciate you letting me check it out! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm going to Chantilly tomorrow morning. I'll take a gander at one of these if there's one available. Depending on if I find the pistol I want or not will determine if I get a new Cobra.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You might want to copyright your post. I thought I was reading a magazine review.

You shouldn't have said anything. Now Minuteman is going to try and beat it with a review of the latest .380 caliber led rechargeable flashlight pocket knife tool.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You might want to copyright your post. I thought I was reading a magazine review.

He had a long lunch break.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Top shelf effort here OP! Well written and well thought out. Especially liked the photos of currently manufactured competition for visual comparison.

A real pleasure to read!

Yes, I indeed Clapp for Wiley Fidelity, pro gun writer!

Keen analysis and excellent writing, and underpaid!
    Lol, it means that I was procrastinating on other writing work last night. :innocent0

Thanks for inviting me to join you last night! It's easy to understand why Colt-fans are so excited about this revolver. It feels great! The standard-issue grip fits better than any other small revolver I've held in recent memory. While SA trigger-pull is just so-so, DA is very smooth. Really appreciate you letting me check it out!

Well, after you inquired about hitting the range, I thought that visiting the LGS might serve as a modest substitute.

You know, I compared the SA trigger pull to my Python at home afterwards, and the new Cobra wasn't too far behind. I think the new grip geometry that forces a horizontal pull (as well as the V-leaf spring) does wonders for the break. The travel to break in SA is very very small too.

I'm going to Chantilly tomorrow morning. I'll take a gander at one of these if there's one available. Depending on if I find the pistol I want or not will determine if I get a new Cobra.

Good luck finding one. I've only been able to get a shot at three of them these last two months (only buying one of course). I wanted to pay under MSRP, but for those that don't care, they sell for $50-150 above MSRP on GB.

It's a solid pistol. Again, quite utilitarian, but in a good way.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Good luck finding one. I've only been able to get a shot at three of them these last two months (only buying one of course). I wanted to pay under MSRP, but for those that don't care, they sell for $50-150 above MSRP on GB.

It's a solid pistol. Again, quite utilitarian, but in a good way.

It's the Chantilly show, there should be at least one there. Then I can compare it to my first gen Cobra.

Last edited:

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I hope they don't bring back the Diamondback with 4 inch ribbed barrel and mirror blue finish.

I'd sell one of my kids for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom