• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    First thing I do when I buy a new knife, especially Bucks, I rehone the edge to a more acute angle. Then I sharpen and polish that edge. After that, all that is ever required is a crock stick to take the 'roll' off the edge. I do this(crock sticks) after every deer. You can shave with it.
    what stone do you use?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    what stone do you use?
    I used to do it with a course/fine grey stone back in the day. For the last 20 or so years, I use a standard 4 stone Lansky system. A bench vise works great when doing the course work.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    For those who haven't tried one, I can't say enough good things about Havalon knives with replaceable blades. You're basically working with a scalpel and a fresh edge is a blade change away.

I still carry and use a fixed blade drop point for the sternum, backstrap removal and cutting hind quarters close to the pelvis. For everything else I use the Havalon and don't know how I got by without it.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A couple tips for 'fining off' an edge;

Instead of using oil when working a fine edge, use Zippo lighter fluid(or the like).

If you roll your edge and you're out and about, use the top edge of your car window lie a crock stick. Been doing it for years. It works great!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    For those who haven't tried one, I can't say enough good things about Havalon knives with replaceable blades. You're basically working with a scalpel and a fresh edge is a blade change away.

I still carry and use a fixed blade drop point for the sternum, backstage removal and cutting hind quarters close to the pelvis. For everything else I use the Havalon and don't know how I got by without it.

Yeah, had never even heard of these knives with replaceable scalpel sharp blades. Was looking at the Wiebe knives based upon somebody else's post in this thread, but after looking at the Havalon knives, I think I have settled on the Havalon double folder Bone Collector Rebel that has both a drop point and a replaceable scalpel blade on it. The entire concept of just replacing blades as they dull, versus dealing with sharpening them is awesome.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Saw two does this morning that didnt give me a shot and i saw my big 10 point for the third time.

I had to pass on him again. I didnt have the best shot and he was near a property line that i dont have permission to be on in case he ran over there. I dont want to chance it and loose that one

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    My son just got his first deer. Ceasefire in 15 minutes. Then we can go get it. :D

Attachments

• 20171216_082338.jpg
      20171216_082338.jpg
      34.9 KB · Views: 134

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    My son just got his first deer. Ceasefire in 15 minutes. Then we can go get it. :D

Congrats. Post pics of the deer.

At the possibility of starting a crap storm, what cartridge is he using in that AR? .223 or something more exotic? For the record, I don't care if it is .22lr as long as it is legal in Texas. Just wondering if you went with something like .300 BLK, 6.8 SPC, or just the vanilla .223/5.56? I'm debating all kinds of stuff for another AR build. Too many choices, not enough cash.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Congrats. Post pics of the deer.

At the possibility of starting a crap storm, what cartridge is he using in that AR? .223 or something more exotic? For the record, I don't care if it is .22lr as long as it is legal in Texas. Just wondering if you went with something like .300 BLK, 6.8 SPC, or just the vanilla .223/5.56? I'm debating all kinds of stuff for another AR build. Too many choices, not enough cash.

50bmg, lol. ;)

No, it's a 300blk. Had my yhm phantom lta on the end and it was super quiet inside the blind. No hearing protection required. Minimum caliber for the hunt was .243 so a .223 wasn't goingto work.

Me and the guide actually thought he missed because the doe only turned her head then casually walked off. 10 seconds later a big branch flew up 15yards to the left where she went then a cloud of dust where she hit the ground.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    They are definitely moving this morning. Saw 4 does and a spike chasing. Going out this afternoon around 2 to try my luck. Got my new (to me) refurbished TenPoint Turbo XLT II dialed in finally
    130b63e166c1cedfdf39071e1a04b5f7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    They are definitely moving this morning. Saw 4 does and a spike chasing. Going out this afternoon around 2 to try my luck. Got my new (to me) refurbished TenPoint Turbo XLT II dialed in finally
    130b63e166c1cedfdf39071e1a04b5f7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

nice bow :thumbsup:

you don't muzzle load hunt?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    50bmg, lol. ;)

No, it's a 300blk. Had my yhm phantom lta on the end and it was super quiet inside the blind. No hearing protection required. Minimum caliber for the hunt was .243 so a .223 wasn't goingto work.

Me and the guide actually thought he missed because the doe only turned her head then casually walked off. 10 seconds later a big branch flew up 15yards to the left where she went then a cloud of dust where she hit the ground.

Hey, why not 458 SOCOM. That would have started another good discussion.

How long was the shot?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I had a wee bit of luck this morning too! A hot doe came in dragging a bunch of bucks along with her. Here's the biggest one out of the bunch.

Attachments

• IMG_20171216_102337125_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20171216_102337125_HDR.jpg
      137.3 KB · Views: 149

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I had a wee bit of luck this morning too! A hot doe came in dragging a bunch of bucks along with her. Here's the biggest one out of the bunch.

lol - when you really get lucky, it is going to be Goliath. Google that deer. lol

Wee bit of luck.

Very nice deer. Somewhat surprised that a doe is still in heat, but I guess it is possible that they did not get to her in October or November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom