• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    It seems like every time I pass the outdoor counter at Wally World someone is trying to get a fishing or hunting license. It seems like a giant pain to drive there, wait in line, wait for an trained associate, give them all your personal info, then watch them go to compass for you and enter it. When I see people waiting in line, playing on their smart phones, which they can use to do the process themselves from their couch it boggles my mind.

I know back in the day before compass this was the only way to get one, but I see people who are too young to have hunted before compass existed. Now days is there some advantage to doing it this way? Or maybe a certain class of people that still cant use compass?

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I've found that using compass is far easier than doing it at a store. They email you reminders when your particular license is ready to expire.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I use compass, can do it at my convenience at home, don't have to chase a Walmart employee down to buy in the store.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Easy experience with Compass.
    Currently had a friend do the TX test and then off to Compass, all from a couch! Still waiting on the TX Certificate though(9 days now) .

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I like it better because I can print two licenses. One for my deer bag and one for my waterfowl bag with my stamps on it in my blind bag. I keep them in sandwich bags with the permission slips and if they get wet I can just reprint them again and not have to order a replacement license. Not to mention I can order my license in 3 minutes and its 15 minutes easy to the closest store, wait in line, slacker on the register not knowing what they are doing. Equals a hour lost there and 55 minutes I could have used to relax and drink beer. :D

Why would you go to Walmart and buy it?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, not being able or willing to use the internet nowadays is a huge disadvantage. I even use Compass to order my federal waterfowl stamp. I sit down at the computer, buy my license and stamps, buy my son's license and stamps, and buy my dad's license and stamps. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. All done in my underwear and in less time than it would take me to drive to the nearest Walmart. Factor in how long it takes to find a "DNR trained" Walmart employee and then watch them hunt and peck on the keyboard, and I am miles ahead time wise.

Really nice to renew a driver's license or vehicle registration online too. A heck of a lot better than dealing with the mail or actually setting foot in a MVA location.

Oh yeah, you can even order stuff online from Walmart, have it shipped to the store for free, and they will hold it for you for quite a while. Just ordered some ammo cans and office supplies and my wife picked them all up several days later. Really easy to pick stuff up from there. Same goes for Home Depot. I order everything online, one of the employees goes around and picks everything out, and then my wife stops at the customer service desk to pick everything up after she gets off work. Home Depot and Walmart are right next to where she works. No driving for me and no walking around the store trying to find where things are. Search function works like a champ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom