Anyone else in construction seeing any recent downturn in business.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    We do mid to large commercial construction with offices in Virginia, DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia. This year is YUUUGE for each office and we don't see it slowing anytime soon. We should be doing more but we have too many job openings for qualified Estimators and Project Managers.

Depending on what vertical markets you serve, (hotels, hospitals, assisted living, multi-family, etc. etc. etc. are all separate vertical markets) it's normal for a specific vertical to have a slow period during the year. We work in/for twelve different vertical markets and every one has a slow quarter (or two) during the year.

Your question for overall construction may not be the question you should be asking. Just my 2 pennies.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    We do mid to large commercial construction with offices in Virginia, DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia. This year is YUUUGE for each office and we don't see it slowing anytime soon. We should be doing more but we have too many job openings for qualified Estimators and Project Managers.

Depending on what vertical markets you serve, (hotels, hospitals, assisted living, multi-family, etc. etc. etc. are all separate vertical markets) it's normal for a specific vertical to have a slow period during the year. We work in/for twelve different vertical markets and every one has a slow quarter (or two) during the year.

Your question for overall construction may not be the question you should be asking. Just my 2 pennies.

Its part of the picture. Our business comes from 5 main markets. Hospitals, Assisted Living, Restaurant/Food Service, Office Space Developers, and some residential contractors.

We too fluctuate between segments often and we are not a large company, so the swings from segment to segment are very large.

One thing I am seeing is more millwork packages coming from china for higher end projects. It indirectly impacts us because it impacts our millwork customers.

One month doesn’t make a trend but I will keep watching closely.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland

Same here, and we do a ton of multi-family stuff. Can't hire people fast enough.

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    I write performance bonds for contractors. The first half of the year was gangbusters. Lately, my contractors are seeing Notice to Proceed taking longer and longer which is hurting productivity. Finding enough good people has been a limiting factor also.

The Maryland law that went into effect today that makes a contractor responsible for downstream subcontractors' employees' wages is scary. Another poorly written, vague law compliments of the MGA.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I’m a facilities manager/ construction manager for a medstar hospital. All the subcontractors I’ve been using
    (Electrical,mechanical,hvac,,etc. have been swamped and have been having a tough time hiring skilled trades to keep up with the up swing in new construction and upgrades.seems like the demand for the skilled trades is at it’s highest. Almost every contractor I use is swamped or short staffed.
    We are having problems finding licensed operating engineers and maintenance technicians to fill open positions within medstar.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It's probably because the weather finally quit acting a fool, but this week it has seemed like allllll the road construction is back in action...everywhere:rolleyes:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    After posting this last week we’ve landed to mid sized projects this week along with several smaller ones. I’ve been spending time in the road visiting clients and trying to gauge the market. I’ve got some customers stating the are having their best year ever but a few have indeed seen some downturn however, not for the reasons I thought.

My largest customer has 3 big hospitals projects all way behind schedule. So they think they took their foot off the gas a few months ago and intentionally booked fewer jobs out if concern they would be overbooked.

They account for about 12% of our sales so their sudden drop off would be part of the reason our bookings dropped in September.

I’m going to keep an eye kn this. I’m interested to see how the Tariffs impact our market.

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone

I’m going to keep an eye kn this. I’m interested to see how the Tariffs impact our market.

My contractors have said they have no problem getting materials but prices are going up now in anticipation the tariffs will have an impact. Suppliers are also only guaranteeing prices for a short time. Some contractors are padding their materials costs on jobs that have a delayed start date.

fd318

Mar 22, 2010
    Upper Fells Point
    I work in a vinyl replacement window factory. (We also install windows.) We have a 6 week lead time (normally 2 weeks) and is just keep getting longer. The boss is trying to expand the factory right now. In 2-3 weeks we are starting a second shift to try to catch up on demand. We have hired about a dozen new office workers and are out of cubical space. We've started a Pittsburgh and some middle of PA office. No, I don't think home upgrades, at least for windows are slowing down. If anything it's gone up about 30% from last year.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Well It could have been a blip.

i posted my message two weeks ago and in the last 10 days we probably landed 5 weeks of work. If it keeps up at this pace for 2 more weeks we’ll have caught up to our forecast.

I did get aggressive pricing a few projects with good paying customers and hit the pavement which may have helped yank a job or two away from competitors.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Custom Commercial HVAC - we have at least one, if not 2 jobs every weekend between now and Christmas, excluding Thanksgiving.... That's above our ongoing M-F jobs.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The lawyer business in DC apparently isn't slowing down. One of the three NTP letters I got today was for another law firm corporate cafeteria. This will make four in the last year.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I have always preached no matter how much work we have never take your foot off the bidding throttle

I am in the office working on a bid going out today and we can’t do the work we have due to not being able to find top shelf help and if we get this job I really don’t know how I can get this work done

But I will damn sure figure it out

Having at least a year ahead work load is tough but not as tough as trying to keep the guys busy

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Just had a bid from Carroll Insulation. 5k for all fiberglass in a 2000 square foot house. He said normally they are next day but they are so busy they're out 3 to 4 days at this point. Guess for them that's really slammed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom