• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I just bought a .45 Texan SS. I really like this gun and it is accurate, 1" groups at 50 yards with a 250 grain pill, and quiet. Anyway, I am planning to use this for deer hunting since it meets the MD requirement. To those who shoot big bore, is a 250 grain hollow point sufficient? I have several pellets I have bought for it, 247 grain JSB, 250 grain hollow point and 350 grain flat point. I personally think the 250 is sufficient but wanted additional input.

Thanks.
    Vic

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    I was checking some reviews on this gun on Youtube with different weight slugs and velocity figures. You are not going to get the required 400ftlbs of energy with the 250 grain. You would need to go to at least 325 grain and even then, you might not get 400ftlbs. I saw another video of a guy using 400 grain and he was getting just under 400ftlbs. The specs on this gun give a max of 400ftlbs of muzzle energy. Nice gun, very quiet for a powerful big bore.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have no experience with bib bore air guns per se , but you can directly tap into a wealth of real world experience.

This air rifle will deliver a lead bullet of same weight and diameter as full SAAMI level .45Colt revolver with 6-7.5in revolver ( which is essentially the same performence of 40gr BP loads dating back to the 1870s ) . This is also legal load for handgun hunting in many states, including Virginia. Back in the good old days , was used on anything that needed shooting, up to grizzly.

A 250-255gr lead RNFP will generally shoot through a broadside deer, making a .45cal hole all the way . Unquestionably fatal for Bambi .

So use the same shot placement, at same distance as you would with your .45Colt revolver, and you can have equal confidence with your air rifle .

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    I have no experience with bib bore air guns per se , but you can directly tap into a wealth of real world experience.

This air rifle will deliver a lead bullet of same weight and diameter as full SAAMI level .45Colt revolver with 6-7.5in revolver ( which is essentially the same performence of 40gr BP loads dating back to the 1870s ) . This is also legal load for handgun hunting in many states, including Virginia. Back in the good old days , was used on anything that needed shooting, up to grizzly.

A 250-255gr lead RNFP will generally shoot through a broadside deer, making a .45cal hole all the way . Unquestionably fatal for Bambi .

So use the same shot placement, at same distance as you would with your .45Colt revolver, and you can have equal confidence with your air rifle .

Co2 or nitrogen

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I was checking some reviews on this gun on Youtube with different weight slugs and velocity figures. You are not going to get the required 400ftlbs of energy with the 250 grain. You would need to go to at least 325 grain and even then, you might not get 400ftlbs. I saw another video of a guy using 400 grain and he was getting just under 400ftlbs. The specs on this gun give a max of 400ftlbs of muzzle energy. Nice gun, very quiet for a powerful big bore.

Do some searching on the Air Gun specific sites. Plenty of guys getting 400FPE with the 255 grain slugs. A spring upgrade does wonders for the gun.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    The guy on YouTube says he is getting 400 ft lb with a 330 grain slug. I said I have a 350 grain slug, so you are saying I can't get there from here? I also ran some numbers through a calculator and a 250 grain at 850 generates over 400 and a 350 in the 750 range gets over 400. Without having to spend range time I think I am in the ball park. From most of what I have read this gun should be more than adequate to kill deer at moderate ranges, 50 yards or so. These guns don't kill like the super high speed weapons, shock, but more like a bow via hemorrhage. I believe a 250 or 350 grain slug will pass through a deer easily and kill them pretty effectively. I know a lot of people in other states using subsonic weapons shooting a 250 grain slug around 1050 fps and killing large boars easily, a much tougher animal than a deer. Anyway, I will rezero with a 350 grain slug and call it a day.

Maybe next year I will splurge on a 4500 conversion kit to up performance. Even at 4k psi it should be way over 400 ft lb even with the existing spring.
    Vic

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What does your chrono say ? ( Hint )

Yes , it will kill Bambi . It will perform exactly like a big bore , medium intensity revolver with 250gr cast bullet . A .45cal 250gr bullet at 900-ish fps is a .45cal 250gr bullet at 900-ish fps wether it is launched from long bbl air rifle , or a 6in revolver .

Wether is complies with an arbitrary Md regulation while adequately killing Bambi is a question between your and your chronograph.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the earlier days of airgun hunting , some of the airgun guys ( on suitable private hunting preserves where legal at the time ) did some things that even I considered overly optimistic. But this Texan which can duplicate a .45 SAA with a production air rifle , actually is a watershed event .

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    The guy on YouTube says he is getting 400 ft lb with a 330 grain slug. I said I have a 350 grain slug, so you are saying I can't get there from here? I also ran some numbers through a calculator and a 250 grain at 850 generates over 400
    Vic
    The video I saw showed him getting a max of 810fps with a 245 grain slug. That's 350ftlbs. There's no doubt that this gun is powerful enough to take deer. It's just that DNR requires a minimum of 400ftlbs. You would need to chrono those 250 grain slugs to see where your at.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Here's some pics.

Attachments

• Texan.jpg
      Texan.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 165
    • Texan2.jpg
      Texan2.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 164

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Update, I have done a headshot on a deer at 45 yds, DRT. I also headshot a 270 pig, DRT. Shot a turkey with it and it went 50 yds. I've recently upgraded the bottle and valve and AF airguns says it will now generate 600 ft lbs of energy. So don't have to worry about the energy now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom