• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    you guys know the square boolits are a joke right? so, what is the actual penalty for having a non-hbar. I have yet to see the actual consequence

Hexagonal bullets are real though.

Possible loss of all of your gun ownership rights.

Because no one has been prosecuted yet.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    you guys know the square boolits are a joke right? so, what is the actual penalty for having a non-hbar. I have yet to see the actual consequence

Square bullets are not a joke. They are specially designed for Muslims. True fact.

Most murderers in Baltimore don't see consequences either. The question is, are you feeling lucky?.

Because no one has been prosecuted yet.

Not so sure thats true.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    My understanding of HBAR is at least one of two things must be true:
    1) Advertised/marketed as a heavy barrel
    2) Stamped as heavy barrel

If my understanding is correct, it could be a 2" diameter depleted uranium bull barrel that weighs ten pounds and if one of those conditions isn't met, it isn't an HBAR.

This is the Best recommendation.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    This reminds of the terrible idea of the triangular barrel that Remington had for the 700 rifles a while back. I think they called it a tactical varmint barrel or something like that...whatever a tactical varmint is...

408129d1421960642-9mm-ammo-groundhogs-3infantry-jpg

This guy comes to mind.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    When they charge someone with building a non H Bar rifle it will be interesting to see just how the State proves it is not an H Bar. The burden of proof is going to be in their lap. No definition or measurements to fall back on so proving something was never advertised, or called an H Bar gets tough.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    When they charge someone with building a non H Bar rifle it will be interesting to see just how the State proves it is not an H Bar. The burden of proof is going to be in their lap. No definition or measurements to fall back on so proving something was never advertised, or called an H Bar gets tough.

IANAL, but I'm not sure it works that way with this particular law as written. AR-15s are banned, period. The Colt Sporter HBAR is listed by name as the only exception. MDSP has interpreted it to mean that any HBAR is exempt. But if push came to shove, I believe it is the defendant's burden to prove he/she meets the exception, and a judge might not agree with MDSP's interpretation. No exception and it's an AR-15 and banned categorically.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    IANAL, but I'm not sure it works that way with this particular law as written. AR-15s are banned, period. The Colt Sporter HBAR is listed by name as the only exception. MDSP has interpreted it to mean that any HBAR is exempt. But if push came to shove, I believe it is the defendant's burden to prove he/she meets the exception, and a judge might not agree with MDSP's interpretation. No exception and it's an AR-15 and banned categorically.

I disagree with this statement. There are other heavy barreled AR platform rifles in 223/5.56 on the list such as the heavy barrel varieties of the Eagle Arms M15. You also have to incorporate MD State Police Licensing Division advisories such as the one below:
    0e78d5f9816e33c0d8b278ebf1cf9d91.jpg

It addresses building firearms on a stripped lower and specifically allows a person to build a firearm "like a Colt AR-15 Sporter HBAR rifle, or a copy thereof..."

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

The burden of proof is always on the prosecution, not the defendant. The judge wont unilaterally re-interpret the law. The prosecution would have to push the envelope and advocate a re-interpretation. People need adequate notice of the law, so the MDSP interpretation will at least be weighty. Plus, at that point there will be a shit storm from NRA, SAF, and MSI.

I disagree with this statement. There are other heavy barreled AR platform rifles in 223/5.56 on the list such as the heavy barrel varieties of the Eagle Arms M15. You also have to incorporate MD State Police Licensing Division advisories such as the one below:

It addresses building firearms on a stripped lower and specifically allows a person to build a firearm "like a Colt AR-15 Sporter HBAR rifle, or a copy thereof..."
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Is my reading comp. totally screwed? It looks like they are saying it is legal that pistols may be "bult upon the "stripped" lower receivers of banned assault long guns...".

I always thought that was a Bozo-no-no.

:shrug:

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Is my reading comp. totally screwed? It looks like they are saying it is legal that pistols may be "bult upon the "stripped" lower receivers of banned assault long guns...".

I always thought that was a Bozo-no-no.

:shrug:

It's totally legal. I have one.
    c183df4e837b970963b793e58485db39.jpg

You have to submit the 77R when you buy the lower, wait a week to get it, and then you can build the pistol. There is one catch, you can't sell it as a complete pistol because it is not on the handgun roster.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have them too. My point is, it looks like they are saying that you can build one using the "lower receiver from a BANNED assault RIFLE". Not a 'virgin' lower, but one from an existing "assault long gun'. Or am I just reading it wrong?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    It says from a "STRIPPED" Lower ........
    That could be interpreted as "Old rifle Lower that was just stripped" or "bought new as stripped"?

The Rifle cannot be built into a pistol thing, Is that State Law or Federal Law?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have them too. My point is, it looks like they are saying that you can build one using the "lower receiver from a BANNED assault RIFLE". Not a 'virgin' lower, but one from an existing "assault long gun'. Or am I just reading it wrong?

You are overthinking it. In the context of the code and regulations a banned assault rifle is a type, not a specific firearm with serial number

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom