• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anthonyg

Sep 5, 2017
    Hi, I'm new here, so if this is at the wrong place feel free to move it or let me know...
    I'm looking to go archery whitetail hunting with my dad in brothers in Maryland in October. Been looking Green Ridge State Forest... anyone archery hunted there? We are looking for a place to camp and hunt....bucks would be nice but really we are meat hunting, we have decent bucks st home. We just want somewhere we can spend a few days in the woods, get some action, and maybe slay a few slick heads... any help is appreciated!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome !

The usual friendly people will be along shortly, with good information, and helpful links .

You could have posted in Outdoor Sports , but here in Western Maryland is equally good.

I haven't specifically bow hunted there , but can make some observations.

Decent deer population.
    Plently of dispersed camp sites in proximity to likely hunting areas.
    Thinner crowds than during Modern Firearms season, so probably more of a spend time in the woods in solitude experience I'm guessing you are looking for.

Anthonyg

Sep 5, 2017
    Thanks guys. I have read about the cwd thing... the only thing I'm fuzzy on it, can we debone the meat in the park and leave the carcass behind? Or do we HAVE to take the carcass to a landfill?
    Also, the forest is HUGE, Is there any guidance as to where is a good starting place for seeing some deer? (Not asking for any secret honey holes, just some place to start where we may see a good number of deer)

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Thanks guys. I have read about the cwd thing... the only thing I'm fuzzy on it, can we debone the meat in the park and leave the carcass behind? Or do we HAVE to take the carcass to a landfill?
    Also, the forest is HUGE, Is there any guidance as to where is a good starting place for seeing some deer? (Not asking for any secret honey holes, just some place to start where we may see a good number of deer)

Don't hunt there as often as I used to, haven't Bow Hunted there since CWD. They used to set up dumpsters for Carcass, but now you have to take to landfill and pay fee. There are several meat processors within the CWD Area that you can also have take care of the deer. As for Hunting camping, lots of good areas for both, it can get crowded around firearms season but bow season always has available sites. Small deer everywhere, some of my favorite locations have been: Old Town road South of DugHill/Stafford down to Malcom on West Side. Greenridge Rd southern end between Kirk and Daily. Northern section, West of 15 mile creek/double pine area. 30 years ago Gun season actually filled up, not so much anymore as fewer people hunt. Bow Season will provide some peace and quiet. Don't forget turkey still open in Fall and good chance of seeing a Black Bear while Bow Hunting. Enjoy !

Anthonyg

Sep 5, 2017
    Thanks so much!
    So with the CWD, you can't leave carcass in the forest? Do you know if the landfills would be open on a Sunday so we could run them by on our way out of the woods? (if we even get anything)...
    I wonder why they did away with the dumpster disposal idea, that seems so practical and convenient.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Thanks so much!
    So with the CWD, you can't leave carcass in the forest? Do you know if the landfills would be open on a Sunday so we could run them by on our way out of the woods? (if we even get anything)...
    I wonder why they did away with the dumpster disposal idea, that seems so practical and convenient.

I'm sure it was a cost issue. On the other hand I remember driving out on opening firearms day a few years ago and seeing those rollback dumpsters full of dear heads, and legs sticking out the top, not a pretty picture to support hunting to the general public. I do not know what the current Md stand on leaving a CWD carcass in the forest of a regulated area is. Below are the regs, and they don't specifically address this. However it should not be done, a decomposing infected body part can spread the disease and it is not allowed in other states.But in reality the deer will likely die and decompose in the forest anyway. That said, I believe there have only been a few dozen confirmed cases in Maryland since 2010. I have seen a CWD deer and any hunter with any sense would never shoot an animal that has been infected. I have never had an issue, but just take my deer to B&B for prep. Here is a link to the States EREGS, Greenridge may have some additional info.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/white-tailed-deer-seasons-bag-limits/

Put all that CWD aside, and go out and enjoy the woods while helping to maintain the deer population !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom