• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    After a year's worth of deliberation, I've settled on getting an MRod in .25 cal.

Before I put powder driven prices into this venture, without knowing much about these PCPs, the cost/accuracy/performance/hand pump(ability) of the MRod are the selling features.

The plan is, figure out the baseline, then make small tweaks to make this an accurate house sparrow killer at up to 60 yards. (F'ers ran my chickadees off the box on Sunday, and while the trap does the best, it isn't as satisfying as the "immediate" payback when it is required). If this doesn't achieve what I want, well, then I will consider upgrading to something that will.

Main Question from thread title: Based on planed engagement range and primary target size, what does the knowledge base on this MDS section suggest as the best optic for the job?

Follow up stats/questions:

• Should be some form of "ranging" or hold over retical, preferably etched
    • Does not have to be a high dollar FFP
    • Does not have to be illuminated (though, I'd like it to be)
    • Does not have to be more than the gun!
    • Should have matching mil/mil or MOA/MOA adjustments
    • Would like resetable turrets
    • Budget on optic, let's say up to $300 +/-

If you have a "good, better, best" for optics, please let me hear them! A realistic budget for gun, optic, hand pump is it MUST be under $1k. Less than that would be even better (considering I see the "package" deals from pyramid that are in the 750~800 range).

I'm willing to spend more on glass, knowing that it will pay off on the annoyance of the HOSP!

(If I am insane or crazy, please call me out!)

TIA.

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    Was an avid PCP'er couple years back. Shot the Mrod and it was fantastic. Currently still have the Airforce TalonP, a shorty that's deadly to little crits up to 60 yds. A great plinker too.
    I don't know if you've shot PCP yet, but accuracy is sub sub MOA, it's ridiculously accurate. I've taken the eyes out of sparrows. I hand pump which is a workout. If you get serious you'll get the scuba tank.
    I put all kinds of ridiculous scopes on there $1k to $2k, lot's of disposable $$$. I settled on Leupold VX-1 EFR 3-9x30mm about $400 on the TalonP.
    Because you're going to shoot as close as 10 or 15 yds sometimes you want a scope that can focus down that close, hence the EFR (extended focus range)
    I tried the Mueller and Hawk scopes which are great for under $300 price mark, but they get cloudy at max zoom. Leup's have very clear glass but I'm a snob with US Optics, NightForce, Trijicon and Elcans.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    CegWfJqWIAABWBZ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04