• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Who has made their own tree stand ladder safety ropes with prusik knot and what ropes did you use? I want to make my own, but I don't want it unsafe, but I also don't want to pay for expensive rope I don't need.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I use old climbing ropes and webbing. Most outdoor/climbing stores sell it by the foot. You want 6-8 mm static line. It's sometimes sold as 20 foot lengths suitable for "cordalettes".

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I use old climbing ropes and webbing. Most outdoor/climbing stores sell it by the foot. You want 6-8 mm static line. It's sometimes sold as 20 foot lengths suitable for "cordalettes".

Static is ok as long as the fall will be under the 6 or 8'. I wouldn't want to fall any harder than that. For a prusik I prefer Perlon.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    If you're moving a prusik knot up as you climb, your fall should be very short. The knot should stay just above your harness on the main rope. Move it every step or two.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you're moving a prusik knot up as you climb, your fall should be very short. The knot should stay just above your harness on the main rope. Move it every step or two.

That's the correct way to do it. Yes, I know. What if Mr Neophyte forgets to top it out once he gains the platform. My point is, there is no good reason to recommend static rope if dynamic rope can be had.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Where did you all buy your ropes and what size did you get? That is mainly what I am looking for.

I am using a SOTP harness with the shock strap. I don't think I need to worry about rope stretch. I couldn't fall more than 3' and probably have more to worry and banging my head on the ladder during the swinging. I've always free climbed and latched on before stepping on the stand. Then pull my backpack, bow/gun up. Just trying to step the the safety a bit.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Where did you all buy your ropes and what size did you get? That is mainly what I am looking for.

I am using a SOTP harness with the shock strap. I don't think I need to worry about rope stretch. I couldn't fall more than 3' and probably have more to worry and banging my head on the ladder during the swinging. I've always free climbed and latched on before stepping on the stand. Then pull my backpack, bow/gun up. Just trying to step the the safety a bit.

I've been using TSS ropes and prusiks. They're cheap. I'm also in the need for a new harness. Mine is six years old (and I've hated it from day one). I like the kind with waste belts for my belly pouch. I think I've used up my nine lives as far as treestands go, so it probably doesn't matter what I use/wear, lol.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Careful making your own ropes. Do not use the marine grade high tensile cores, because the do not give a little bit if you fall.

Hunter Safety Systems or Millenium sales the complete kit (karabiner, prussic knot, and 30-35 foot rope) for $30 at Dicks Sporting Goods.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ine-15hsaulflnxxxxxxxtsb/15hsaulflnxxxxxxxtsb
    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ine-16mtsusflnk35sftytsb/16mtsusflnk35sftytsb

Amazon sales multipacks if you are looking for more than one.

if you want to role your own, in case a prussic knot falls off

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom