• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mendicant

Aug 11, 2015
    Baltimore/Silver Spring
    Good day, friends.

I am attempting to sell a crossbow for which I presently have no use.

It is currently listed on several Craigslist locations and over at Maryland Whitetail Central. An attempt was made to list it via the Facebook Marketplace, but it happens to violate the terms of service.

Does anyone have suggestions of other places that are likely to get some virtual foot traffic of users who are interested in archery equipment?

Thank you kindly.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Club newsletter or bullitin board of your Gun Club.

Or get another 42 posts here.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    They can be hard to move depending on the make/model. Most also take a real hit in the resale value.

Also, this may be the worse time of the year to sell one.

Sorry I seem to be such a dark cloud........

Mendicant

Aug 11, 2015
    Baltimore/Silver Spring
    They can be hard to move depending on the make/model. Most also take a real hit in the resale value.

Also, this may be the worse time of the year to sell one.

Sorry I seem to be such a dark cloud........

I am aware about the resale value of archery, which is why I own considerably more firearms than bows. But I am going below 50% the current retail value of the model and still get low-ball offers.

More importantly, as I am not in any particular hurry, what is the best time of the year? To me it would seem to be in the summer. Maybe it would be two weeks before deer season, but I imagine most Maryland hunters are highly ethical and responsible, and would therefore prefer to have adequate time to practice and familiarize themselves with a new weapon.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think you'll see interest growing in the coming months. You're a bit early now but it should be picking up as you predict.

Sounds like you're priced about right.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Craigslist is a good way to sell it. Check prices of what else is for sale as comparison. This is not a good time of year to be selling. August-September would be the best time for selling.

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    August,I love when guys dump their equipment for the latest and greatest. Every bow I have purchased from the very first compound produced have taken game with.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    These days, Craigslist is almost more trouble that it is worth what with all the scammers you get attacked by once you post an ad. I'd say your best bet is to post a sale ad in the online forums you hang out at like this one. A yard sale might do the trick as might seeing if your local gun/archery shop would place it on consignment for you.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    These days, Craigslist is almost more trouble that it is worth what with all the scammers you get attacked by once you post an ad. I'd say your best bet is to post a sale ad in the online forums you hang out at like this one. A yard sale might do the trick as might seeing if your local gun/archery shop would place it on consignment for you.

I've tried to sell outdoor items (bows and even shotguns) at yard sales. The only interest I've ever gotten were the people that only wanted to pay pennies on the dollar. I had 1970s era Wingmaster at a yard sale listed for $200. I got a couple of offers. One, for $100 and I remember the other one vividly. It was from a kid, maybe 12-14 years old. He walked up and wanted to hand me $200. Asked to see his parents and he said they weren't there. Now I knew all of the kids in the neighborhood and he wasn't one of them. I politely declined the offer and at the end of the day, it went back into my safe. Bows were even worse.

Mendicant

Aug 11, 2015
    Baltimore/Silver Spring
    And it was sold via Craigslist.

When I met the guy, I did ask if he's ever used one before. He informed me he has not and that he just received his hunter safety license. I was sure to spend about 20 minutes giving him some pointers. The last thing I want is to hand it to someone who tears his thumb off.

Mendicant

Aug 11, 2015
    Baltimore/Silver Spring

Yard sale pricing is brutal. You have to be willing to sell everything at 20% of its actual value, or else I guarantee that you will have over half the stuff you set out still on the ground by noon.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yard sale pricing is brutal. You have to be willing to sell everything at 20% of its actual value, or else I guarantee that you will have over half the stuff you set out still on the ground by noon.

If you get 40% of the bows value, you will be lucky.

July and August are you best times to sale

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom