• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g8tr

Mar 19, 2013
    Balto Co.
    Feeling the urge for a Commie gun to complement my AR and Tavor, and these are the choices in our Free State. Thoughts? I shot a VZ last weekend at Marriottsville (thanks, Ed!) and I really liked it (hit the plate at 100 yds on the first shot:party29:), but I'm open to 5.45 options as well.

Thanks,
    g8tr

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    For me, the choice is easy. While all are good rifles, the Vz58 is the best ever to come out of the Warsaw Pact IMO. If you're looking at a true Czech made Vz58 in 7.62x39, you are looking at the best.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I would say Vz-58. I love mine but it's too short for me. I was going to buy a new stock but decided to possibly sell and buy another Vepr or a PTR-32. However, my feelings won't be hurt if it doesn't sell.

Veprs are great but the mags suck IMO. I do have a single CSSSpecs .308 metal mag that's a true beast but it was $40.

I have no experience with the Arsenal jut I hear good things.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Good thread. Been wondering this myself. They are all about the same price point at around $1,000 right?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have a VZ58 and an Arsenal SLR 104. Keep in mind I'm a southpaw.

The VZ58 is lighter, handier, and easier for me to shoot accurately. Everything about it is just really well thought out. Good quality magazines are available for cheap. 7.62x39 ammo of many different types is readily available at many price ranges. Following 922R compliance means you'll probably need to at least add U.S. baseplates to your mags, and potentially followers. You can mount optics with a side rail while preserving the function of the folding stock, but they can't be very long optics or you'll likely cause malfunctions. Safety needed no modifications to be usable by me.

The Arsenal SLR 104 I have is very nice, but it feels a bit cumbersome next to the vz58. 5.45x39 is by no means expensive, but the varieties of ammunition available stateside are somewhat limited compared to what's out there for 5.56 or 7.62x39. This can cause issues at gun ranges, particularly ones who are picky about steel cased ammo. Hornady makes nonmetallic projectiles but good luck finding brass cases. There is a greater variety of magazines available, but the comparable quality ones are more expensive. I don't think you can mount optics using the side rail without losing the functionality of the side folding stock. Had to replace the safety with a Krebs ambi safety.

Ultimately if you're only going to get one, I recommend at least going with a 7.62x39 rifle. You'll be buying a new type ammo either way, and 7.62 is just better supported right now. I like Vz58s better than Veprs due to their handiness, but either is a nice rifle.

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    I'm also a lefty. I've played with all three rifles in gun shops. I have 2 VZ-58s and a VZ-2008. 58's have much nicer build quality, but 2008's have the bayonet lug.

The VZ-58 is my favorite rifle, period. Light and well balanced and the recoil is negligible. It's easy to keep on target.

I would go VZ-58. I would own an Arsenal if not for caliber and I don't really care for VEPRs.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The VZ is an improvement over the AK in many ways. But, I'd still get an AK-pattern rifle first if you want a Commie rifle. Note I said first--because you really need one of each.

The one drawback to all three is the crappy notch sight mounted so far forward. If you care about accuracy there are more options to mod the AK/VEPR with a rear aperture or scope than the VZ, and the 5.45 is a ballistically superior round.

There is little difference between the VEPR and the SLR other than the former is over-built for its role as a light machine gun. VEPRs are a little heavier and tend to be slightly more consistent in the accuracy department.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I have a Czechpoint VZ58.

Handier, lighter than an AK, absorbs recoil great. Mags exist but purchase needs to be arranged ahead of time, places in VA or PA within driving range of central MD generally won't have them on hand on any random day. Furniture upgrades are available, FAB's Israeli stuff worked well for me. The stock grip on the beaverbarf furniture is silly small if you're not an underfed comblock conscript.

I have a red dot over the handguard in a scout rifle-ish mount which works just fine - problem is that unlike the Kalashnikov system, operating rod (piston) doesn't rigidly connect to the bolt carrier group, and is removed from the front of the rifle, not from under the receiver dust cover. Top of handguard, which holds the mount, needs to be removed for this, so to do it right rifle needs to be re-zeroed after every cleaning. This is annoying, skipping it turns my VZ from a 4MOA to a 6MOA rifle. It's certainly not designed or intended to be a sniper rifle and that's ok, but it's bothersome to know that the system is not performing to the level it can and should.

An AK would not have this issue. IMHO, it's reasonable to have the M43 and 223 calibers. Others are optional. The 5.45mm isn't different enough to to warrant a firearm specifically for it if it's a budget issue. OTOH, if you can get all three you won't regret it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom