• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 25, 2021
    So I got this issue. I got enough money to buy one of these things. Not sure which to get tho. I do not have the funds to get the glass for the Tikka tho. So it’ll be awhile before I can get anything decent mounted to that before I can try to start learning long shooting. Which would you pick?

Attachments

• 2780AFE9-3E0C-45F6-AC5E-359C56F321A5.jpg
      2780AFE9-3E0C-45F6-AC5E-359C56F321A5.jpg
      27.8 KB · Views: 289
    • 40544757-1AA9-457D-9ACF-B784B9EF2558.jpg
      40544757-1AA9-457D-9ACF-B784B9EF2558.jpg
      30.7 KB · Views: 289

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Coming from one that has the 700, I would go with the grill first. Run like hell from Traeger. You will a lot more use out it than the Tikka.
    The other side of me says screw the grill and get the rifle.
    Which one do you want more?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The guys in the know recommend Spitts and Pitts pellet grills. I have a Green Mountain and like it just fine, the wifi controller makes briskets and ribs stupid simple. I cook outside 85% of the time year round so getting a nice smoker is an easy decision for me. That is a really nice rifle however and one that is on my wishlist as well. This is more of a left brain right brain deal. Flip a coin.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Seriously, this all comes down to a heck of a lot questions.

For me, I wouldn't buy either because I have no use for them. I have a Weber that is 2 years old and I am getting ready to buy another Weber as part of an outdoor kitchen build. Already have a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5Cm and .338 Lapua. Already have Ruger M77 guns in .220 Swift, .25-06, and .300 Wing Mag.

Buy an RPR and the glass for it right away. Skip the Tikka.

Which should you buy? Depends? Do you have a grill already? Would your family be better off with a grill than a long range target gun?

This is such a personal decision.

Me, I am trying to decide on a set of Mont Blanc pens, a Blaser R8 rifle, or a Beretta DT11EL for my 50th birthday. Probably going to decide on none of the above though because it is just one more thing that I don't really need.

You need to figure this out on your own. Grill or gun. After that, then you ask which is the best option for the grill or the gun.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Although the Tikka is a nice gun, I would recommend going either less expensive (i.e. a heavy barrel Howa or R700 in a KRG Bravo) or going a little more expensive and going with a PRS production rifle. If you do go the Tikka route, you can save a few hundred of you shop around.

If you are grilling a smoking a lot, go the grill route. If you have a good grill, then I would go the rifle route. Just know that ammo is expensive atm for match grade stuff which you need for long range shooting

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Me, I am trying to decide on a set of Mont Blanc pens, a Blaser R8 rifle, or a Beretta DT11EL for my 50th birthday. Probably going to decide on none of the above though because it is just one more thing that I don't really
    Do you have a nice timepiece? Great symbolism for a birthday and can be handed down for generations.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You could save some money and get this pellet grill if you are not stuck on the rectaq

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss...pvz9LacqYvchHWucj7BoCU64QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yea, NO. Before you buy a pellet pooper, look on the forums. Warranty and CS is one thing you need to consider. I have friends who have abandoned Traeger, PB and other brands due the horrible support.
    Yes I am a fanboy of RT and BGE for a reason. The CS is OUTSTANDING for both. I already posted my RT story recently. I have a BGE story that includes replacement of a 12 year old smoker because they changed the size enough that I can't get a replacement grate.
    Like firearms you will definitely get what you pay for.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    The recteqs are solid. Every single person I know that has one loves them with minimal to no issue and seriously good cs. I'd avoid green mountain. On my second igniter, paint and rust issues even on the replacement lid after my first one rusted pretty bad. Kept covered ,dry and I clean it out within a few days of heavy use. I know it doesnt really impact cooking but Im a fan of expensive purchases not rusting away. Temp control on it is meh. Traeger looks like a cheaper version of the green mountain. I assume its Chinese since Wallyword/Homedepot sell them.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Buy a Ruger RPR and the pellet grill. You can eat tasty things while you save up for glass for the RPR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Do you have a nice timepiece? Great symbolism for a birthday and can be handed down for generations.

I have two Mont Blanc watches. Mont Blanc tie clip too that my kids got me for a Father's Day. Not really interested in Rolex. Been debating a Breitling, but just went and bought a Garmin Fenix 6S activity tracking watch. Other than this Garmin, I have not worn a watch for probably a decade.

Was debating a new MTB for my birthday, but that would end up getting beat up over time.

Tried to get an "Eleanor" Mustang approved by my wife and she said I need to set my sights a little lower. lol

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Buy a Ruger RPR and the pellet grill. You can eat tasty things while you save up for glass for the RPR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price on a Ruger RPR has gone up lately. Not much different from the Tikka the OP likes.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have the Rectec RT340, the small one, and it’s great.

I also have a Kamado Joe for the best of both worlds, and I tend to use my Kamado more these days.

But I digress...

Buy the grill. Rectec customer service is truly above and beyond. RT build quality is also a cut above Traeger and the others. The only pellet grill I’d put above RT is a Yoder.

If I ever buy another pellet grill it’ll prob be a Yoder YS640.

May 25, 2021
    I was getting ready to click submit on the RT-700 when my buddy sent me screen shot of their 1250 coming soon. So now I’m going to wait for the 1250. Definitely going RecTeq for the warranty and CS. It’ll go nice along side my Blackstone and it’ll free up some space when I get rid of my charcoal, my gas, and my current smoker! Picked up some massive tomahawk steaks for the inaugural run!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom