• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    A WW2 bring back from Burma Colt 1903 in .32 appeared in my safe last week. Type V, parkerized. It spent at least 40 years in a box. 2 factory mags, no holster.

After checking it over carefully, I shot about 100 rounds flawlessly, then stripped it down for what may have been its second ever cleaning. The 2 factory mags each had a half inch of cosmoline at the bottom, and the frame was also packed full of it! Only the action was free of the stuff.

Its in great shape although I'm not a great photographer. I've never owned a gun I was afraid to shoot, and never owned a safe queen. This thing is a lot of fun to shoot, and the wife really likes it. She is really recoil sensitive and I have tried a LOT of handguns for her. She's a good shot when she's not afraid of the gun.

Posting this mostly to ask whether any of you with much more experience and knowledge with these old handguns can offer me any sage advice. Do you see any real problem with using this gun like I would any modern gun?

0426729b44b480dc14c9e0bb2fb3f5cd.jpg
    af1ebfa6ce82d9559267ab2d3714476e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    US-marked 1903s command a serious premium, especially if they come from the WWII era. It would have serious Safe Queen status.

If your wife likes it, you might get her one that isn't quite so historically significant.

chipd

May 20, 2017
    that's NOT a carry gun. please, don't do that. if i bought that off of you, you could buy 2 honest carry guns with holsters.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    You all have given me something to think about! Thanks so much! Not being a collector, I had no idea there is such an interest in these. Going to give some serious thought to selling it....

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That's a VERY valuable pistol. If you have the box, kraft paper and mags keep them safe. Personally I'd never consider shooting this one, waaaay too much money to be lost if something breaks. I don't follow sales of Military issue Pocket Hammerless pistols but in excellent or unissued condition with original box and mags we're looking at top dollar. I have an idea what 1908 .380 Pocket Hammerless pistols go for as there were only approx 3k of these issued. General Officer pistols are in a different class altogether as they're well documented and can be traced back to a specific officer. I saw one of these sell recently for $3.5k.
    There were approx 16K military issue Colt Pocket Hammerless pistols in .32. The wartime finish was started sometime in '44 and was the std finish until the end of production. With SN we have a good chance of ID'ing what service received this pistol. The majority were issued to the following...
    England, under Lend Lease
    OSS (precursor to the CIA)
    Military Intelligence Service
    Waiting on somd_mustangs to see this one and weigh in.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Thanks. I don't have the original box. Only have the gun and 2 Colt .32 mags. May have the 'bring back' paperwork, still going through his files. It is listed on a shipping form when he came back home after post war postings in UK and France.

Jul 1, 2012
    Hay-zoos-Christo! That's a nice find.... don't shoot that anymore :)

It's at least a $2000-3500 pistol depending on condition (looks like some surface wear or maybe even spotting/pitting in pics)
    Shoot me a PM with the S/N and I'll look it up in Brunner's book to see if it was actually issued to an officer and a gentleman.
    If you can tie it to a particular general or a shipment it has a lot of historical significance and of course intrinsic value.
    From your last post there's some provenance as a bring back but it may also have some back-story.
    Having the papers helps a lot.

For an everyday shooter, the re-issue .32 is a good bet at around $1200
    You can still find nice originals with cosmetic issues for $500-800 (perfect ones will be well north of $1200 and are really collectors items).
    You can shoot the crap out of those with no worries once you go over 'em and replace springs and whatnot.
    Occasionally you'll run across one that someone has put combat sights on, which is great for a carry pistol (the original teeny sights suck).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom