• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    We will either get a dissent from denial or a grant.

I know this is wildly speculative, but after an adult beverage or two I sometimes think the Peruta cert application will be kicked into next year, at which time we'll have a suitable replacement for Kennedy.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Not getting my hopes up, but I am upgrading to
    :bannana::bannana::bannana:

We will either get a dissent from denial or a grant.

Maybe not! Caetano took this many relists, before requesting additional information

Oct 29 2015 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of November 13, 2015.
    Nov 16 2015 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of November 24, 2015.
    Nov 30 2015 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of December 4, 2015.
    Dec 7 2015 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of December 11, 2015.
    Dec 8 2015 Record Requested .

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/caetano-v-massachusetts/

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    I personally think we are getting a really long dissent from denial of cert but I hope I am wrong.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    If they grant cert and then Kennedy retires, Shannon Watts will have the biggest conniption ever. It will be positively glorious.

:popcorn:

An interesting thought. If a judge knows they are retiring at the end of the term, do they bother voting to hear a case when they don't decide it's ultimate fate?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If they grant cert and then Kennedy retires, Shannon Watts will have the biggest conniption ever. It will be positively glorious.

:popcorn:
    Although the recent spending bill isn't quite what the WH wanted, maybe getting it out of the way was a good thing. It gives the Democrats one fewer lever of possible pressure to apply (at least this summer) now that they can't prevent a SC nominee like Hardiman through filibuster.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Although the recent spending bill isn't quite what the WH wanted, maybe getting it out of the way was a good thing. It gives the Democrats one fewer lever of possible pressure to apply (at least this summer) now that they can't prevent a SC nominee like Hardiman through filibuster.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

We just watched the Congressional Repubics roll over; because they are really just members of the same bi-partisan fusion party (and only members of the junior wing).

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

We just watched the Congressional Repubics roll over; because they are really just members of the same bi-partisan fusion party (and only members of the junior wing).

MUCH more likely, because they are the best at a "Ned Beatty in Deliverance imitation"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master_P

May 27, 2015
    Yes, I agree. It is becoming apparent that they are putting off the cert votes on hard or close cases until Gorsuch feels ready to participate.
    On a somewhat related note... I seem to recall an earlier post in which you opined that the DC COA tends to issue timely opinions, irrespective of the subject matter.

Grace and Wrenn had oral argument on 9/20/2016, almost 8 months ago. It would be quite interesting if those cases, Norman, and Peruta all reached SCOTUS at the same time - and even better if Grace created a wider circuit split.

Although I imagine D.C. would try delaying tactics to see if SCOTUS might dispose of Peruta first...

Do you believe we are overdue for an opinion in Grace/Wrenn?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    I'm feeling like we may be getting one last kick in the balls before Kennedy's retirement.

Last edited:

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I feeling like we may be getting one last kick in the balls before Kennedy's retirement.

It takes four to grant cert, so as long as the other conservatives believe Kennedy's replacement will be seated by oral argument, they can still force the court to hear the case.

LostinNJ

Dec 26, 2016
    Gorusch Opts Out of Cert Pool

This may be relevant in explaining the re-schedules/re-lists. According to the Daily Caller:

In choosing not to join the pool, Gorsuch is flashing an independent streak. By having his own staff review each petition, he may be signaling misgivings about the judgments of other chambers, or of pool memos prepared by clerks who don’t share his interpretative commitments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom