• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I searched for an M1917 stock for a while: online, gun shows. I sure wish Boyd's still made them. :sad20: They are out there...but not cheap! Rather than buy the $300+ ragged ones at gun shows with mismatched handguards, I ended paying....well...about as much for a "new" one on Ebay. It doesn't have any stamps or cartouches (not that I cared, my rifle is a mixed breed anyway), but it sure is pretty.:D
    I suspect another will turn up on Ebay. Patience is your friend. A fat wallet would make a good acquaintence too.:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    M17's come around every so often but a p14 has me worried. I found a p14 with unmolested receiver and outstanding barrel that escaped the Weedon repair standard. I know Ill pay more for the stock than the working parts of the rifle. I may have to settle for a m17 stock which would work but I would rather find a drill purpose instead. Its a wonder nobody makes replacement fore-ends for the Enfield rifles. Theres a guy in Tennesee with a replicator if things get desperate but you have to send him a stock to use. I just missed one on ebay and of all places Sarco.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    When I was 1917 searching, p14's would show up every once in a while. They definitely weren't as common. I guess there will come a time when the very last one is sold, but I hope we aren't there yet!

You'd think, with today's technology, Boyds would just push a different button on the machine to make it spit out an p14 stock, or a Springfield, or a SMLE :shrug:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Boyds sent me a reply email and indicated that if I send them a rifle they may update their patterns and return a stock for free. I wonder what they did to the pattern they had in the past? A p14 stock is slightly different than a M17. A m17 magazine box is to large for the p14 in-letting but the 14 can be accommodated by the 17 stock. The handgaurd grooves are also shorter on the p14. Magazine well opening is way generous on Boyd's re-pop 17 stocks. I used a 17 stock one time and it was decent for the money but they're both scarce enough its hard to complain. A significant amount of wood needed removed from the barrel channel which eventually will affect the fit of the upper and lower handgaurds so it was a little more work but it beats carving one down with a pocket knife.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Weedon escape P14

serials Barrel.JPG

sight numbers.JPG

absent breech.JPG

volly sight.JPG

In one of the pictures you can see the breech that has not been milled for the replacement bolts with the longer lug. Another the back-sight numbered to the rest of the rifle and what the volley looks like. My buddy hooked me up me a Boyds replacement with some weird reddish looking stain.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Doco, i don't know if it will do you any good but I have a Pattern 14 rifle if you need a stock pattern. And NO I am not selling the stock.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Boyds got back to me and said that they would not be offering the m17 stock for a while. Im going to be patient and see what turns up in the mean time. At least I can shoot it with the repo stock it sits in so Ill try it out tomorrow. Appreciate the offer though. I have a guy that has a couple good leads but its going to cost me some.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Note that the Eddystone Pattern 14 stock, aka "fatboy", is distinctly different from Remington and Winchester. Makes finding the correct Pattern 14 stock all the more difficult. Good luck, for once I'm glad I'm not doing the searching. This one could take a while.

learjet

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2007
    glad to help when i can. i found the stock a year ago at a show, and had to pay up for the volley sight parts. when i saw ur matching numbers gun i figured it was time to let it go to someone who had the perfect rifle for it. i scrounge for c&rs constantly while on the road for work...ill toss up some pix of my latest pickups...

good talkin with u, and thx for the leads on the local shops

lear

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpg
      IMG_1113.jpg
      81.6 KB · Views: 118
    • IMG_1094.jpg
      IMG_1094.jpg
      40.2 KB · Views: 121
    • IMG_1049.jpg
      IMG_1049.jpg
      101.2 KB · Views: 114

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Happy to see you found a stock Doco. As an aside, seems all the '14s I've had experience with were marked EY. I find that interesting.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Just finished helping a friend ferret out a proper Eddystone Pattern 14 with correct fatboy stock and it took quite some time. And not because we passed over a slew of 'em being picky! Very difficult to find. Learjet gave up a really nice buttstock that would have fetched a nice dollar had he put it up on GB or Evil Pay. Haven't seen on with marks that crisp in ages. Can't tell from the photos if it went through Weedon (The Weedon tell is that the unit disc hole is filled with a wood plug). Thank you for helping out a fellow MDS member!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Brass disk is there but dirty and it the (stock) would have a * stamped into it as would have the receiver ring and barrel. Omitted receiver and volley sights would give it away at a distance. Sometimes stocks were replaced entirely with replacements made by a furniture maker in Glasgow. The EY towards the heel of the stock indicates emergency use and the IE in a circle denotes Eddystone. Bolt and breech face are also different on the Weedon repair with the left lug 1/10 of an inch longer and a circular milled recess in the breech face to accommodate the difference. A non Weedon bolt will still work in a rifle that has been through the repair process but not conversely. This one is now entirely E marked and in remarkable shape with Lear Jet's help. I have a drill rifle on the way that more than likely would have been through the Weedon standard for comparison. A lot of the Century arms sporters were pre Weedon rifles and that's where a whole bunch probably wound up, lost forever but good hunting rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom