• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    I had some trouble with the Henry All Weather lever gun I picked up last year, but after getting it back from the factory it's run great no matter what ammo I run through it. So I told the missus I was heading out to the backyard range and grabbed a 9mm pistol, a pocket full of 9mm mags, my Henry, and a new box of Fiocchi FMJ that I picked up for a good price recently.

After confirming the Henry was empty, I filled the magazine. It took 14 rounds, which was more than I remembered it taking before. When I went to set the inner mag tube home, the lever popped open!

That never happened before. And when I cycled the lever, the round jammed and wouldn't load right. So I emptied the mag, this time inserting only 10 rounds. When I pushed the inner mag tube home, the dang lever popped open again! And when I cycled the lever, it got hung up again!

The first time I had trouble, when I first bought it, I was using Tula. I thought maybe the steel casings were the problem then. But this is Fiocci brass and, like I said, this thing's been eating whatever I throw at it since Henry fixed it last year...very strange.

So I loaded only 4 rounds in the mag, and this time time the lever didn't pop open. But when I cycled it, the dang round got hung up again and wouldn't load!

As I was emptying the mag for the last time, I started putting all of the rounds back in the Fiocchi box. Then, when I pushed the box flap home to close it up, that's when I saw 9mm very helpfully and obviously printed on the box.

My Henry is chambered in .357.

So, I grabbed a box of .38spl Tula, filled the mag, and all appears to be functioning just fine. :party29:
    :lol2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Don't know about Henrys specifically . But I will observe that lever actions are sensitive to COL . The fact that cycles fine with .38spl cought my eye .

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I have had the same problem with 45's. Some feed well, some don't. I am not sure it is sensitive to COL. It seems to feed long ones and short ones. I have noticed some manufactures skimp on the rim. The ACP brand does not seem to make the rim as big as the LC brand. The smaller rim seems to allow the cartridge to slide to far into the barrel to reliably extract the cartridge. Maybe Fiocci is the same way. It certainly is the correct diameter for your firearm.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    LOL. I was thinking too short or too long - don't shoot Fiocchi. Problem solved! Then read on to the end. Now i'm thinking a 9mm lever would be cool for plinking.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    This. Ben Henry might be spinning in his grave at this, but a lever action in 9mm would be way cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom