• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    How could i do a background check and transfer without paying an FFL a huge cost? Sorry for the long explanation just want to make sure this is done legally. A lot of laws are still new to me in Maryland...

Last edited:

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    If you live in PA and the buyer lives in PA, you can sell F2F no problem. Background check is not required. Any buyer that lives out of PA should require a transfer at an FFL. I seem to think you live in MD. You would have to ship the rifle to an FFL to sell it to an out of state buyer. CYA is the name of the game.
    Did you purchase this rifle after October 2013? Because, if you did, it probably is not legal in MD right now! If not a HBAR. Which it probably isn't. If purchased before 10/2013, you are GTG, but you cannot sell it to a MD resident.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Transfer between residents of different states MUST go through an FFL.

This is Federal law.

18 U.S.C 922(a)(5) and 922(d); 27 CFR 478.30, 478.32

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her State, provided the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. There may be State laws that regulate intrastate firearm transactions. A person considering transferring a firearm should contact his or her State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local restrictions.

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s State of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    If you live in PA and the buyer lives in PA, you can sell F2F no problem. Background check is not required. Any buyer that lives out of PA should require a transfer at an FFL. I seem to think you live in MD. You would have to ship the rifle to an FFL to sell it to an out of state buyer. CYA is the name of the game.
    Did you purchase this rifle after October 2013? Because, if you did, it probably is not legal in MD right now! If not a HBAR. Which it probably isn't. If purchased before 10/2013, you are GTG, but you cannot sell it to a MD resident.

OP merely stated "rifle", not an AR. Why introduce an issue that may not even exist???

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Thank you guys for all of your help! I have certainly learned a lot on these forums. Is Maryland still a part of the United States???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom