Gould v. O'Leary 1st Circuit(Mass. CCW challenge)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    I wonder which one will be issued first Young or this one. This case may beat Young. Peruta took a year for a opinon to be issued and there is en banc time after. CA1 is likely going to just rule against the plaintiffs so no need for en banc. Either way with a open circuit split the Supreme Court is going to take the first one that files a cert petition.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    I wonder which one will be issued first Young or this one. This case may beat Young. Peruta took a year for a opinon to be issued and there is en banc time after. CA1 is likely going to just rule against the plaintiffs so no need for en banc. Either way with a open circuit split the Supreme Court is going to take the first one that files a cert petition.

I'll bite. Why are you so confident that the SCOTUS will grant cert when they've denied all 50 (estimating) cases that have been appealed to them since Heller?

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    I'll bite. Why are you so confident that the SCOTUS will grant cert when they've denied all 50 (estimating) cases that have been appealed to them since Heller?

Because there is now a open circuit split between the D.C. Court of Appeals and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Circuits.

Prior to the D.C. Circuit's decision in Wrenn there was no Circuit split so the odds of granting cert was small. Now that there is a circuit split the odds have gone up dramatically.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Because there is now a open circuit split between the D.C. Court of Appeals and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Circuits.

Prior to the D.C. Circuit's decision in Wrenn there was no Circuit split so the odds of granting cert was small. Now that there is a circuit split the odds have gone up dramatically.

Don't forget to add Moore - 7th Circuit in the Win Column...

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Don't forget to add Moore - 7th Circuit in the Win Column...

Moore is a great win but there was no split with Moore. The reason is Illinois had a complete ban so the 2nd 3rd and 4th Circuits were able to distinguish the 7th circuit from their may issue policies.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016

I don't agree. There are plenty of cases where they've granted cert with no split. I don't see the constant denials changing until RBG is dead.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    http://comm2a.org/55-projects/234-gould

Numerous briefs have recently been posted on the Comm2A link above. Once again, the antis' briefs try to make this a pure CCW case (Mass' carry permit is not specific to open/concealed), and several don't even cite Wrenn (they think the judges won't be made aware of it?), and they are also going with the "only in the home" strategy without specifically saying it. Appellants response is due June 28th.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Wow, that's pretty quick. I think we should know who the panel is pretty soon too.

I'm a little disappointed that the other side has more amicus briefs than our side, even if they are bad ones.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    I waited 5 Years for oral argument in Young after briefing was completed
    The First Circuit gives these guys oral argument in a month after briefing
    that is not fair

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    In my book that shows me just how far the 1st Circuit has gone to the left and will do everything it can to restrict 2A rights of the people that they are supposed to serve when in reality the only people they serve is the "privilege"class

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    In my book that shows me just how far the 1st Circuit has gone to the left and will do everything it can to restrict 2A rights of the people that they are supposed to serve when in reality the only people they serve is the "privilege"class

How does the quick turnaround on oral arguments restrict the 2A?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom