AR10 Suggestions? Are any of them illegal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Are there any sort of weird laws with AR10’s? Does it have to be an hbar? What complete rifles would you all recommend? I don’t want to build one until I have experience with the .308 ar platform. I’m willing to spend right around $1300 and currently have my eyes on a .308 Windham rifle. I have one of their AR’s and am a big fan of the company/warranty. I’m looking to use this rifle for 100-200 yard shooting, and would like to get into longer range shooting 500+ yards. This first AR10 doesn’t need o be capable of that distance, but if it is, thats a plus.

Heres a link to the rifle I’m looking at, would be around $1300 shipped.

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/firearms/rifles/308-caliber-rifle/r18fsfst-308-2/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    I just ordered the MD compliant S&W M&P10 (sku#811310) from GymRatz.

The only difference (from the regular S&W versions) appears that they switched out the thin “pencil” barrel for a heavy 18” barrel and dropped the flash suppressor (unfortunately). You do get a 10round magazine tho.

The lower has full ambi-controls which was a nice plus.

Delton makes a compliant AR10 and DPMS (Panther Oracle) has a MD version too.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Pretty much all AR10s are legal. The one you linked is fine.

If one tried hard enough, they could likely find a specialty version w/ a side folding stock that would run afoul of the two feature rule if it also had a flash hider. I can't think of any (think Sig MCX in .308) but I'm sure someone, somewhere makes one.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    I just ordered the MD compliant S&W M&P10 (sku#811310) from GymRatz.

The only difference (from the regular S&W versions) appears that they switched out the thin “pencil” barrel for a heavy 18” barrel and dropped the flash suppressor (unfortunately). You do get a 10round magazine tho.

The lower has full ambi-controls which was a nice plus.

Delton makes a compliant AR10 and DPMS (Panther Oracle) has a MD version too.

What makes these MD compliant? I’d spoken to some MD gunshops and they said that the Hbar requirement doesnt not apply to other caliber (non .223/5.56) AR’s

What makes these MD compliant? I’d spoken to some MD gunshops and they said that the Hbar requirement doesnt not apply to other caliber (non .223/5.56) AR’s

The HBAR requirement is only for AR15's in .223 or 5.56. This means a .300AAC, 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .50 Beowolf, etc can ignore the HBAR requirements. All AR10's can also ignore the HBAR requirements as well.
    Maryland compliance also involves a combination of: folding stocks, grenade launchers, flash hiders, etc. This applies to all AR type rifles.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    The HBAR requirement is only for AR15's in .223 or 5.56. This means a .300AAC, 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .50 Beowolf, etc can ignore the HBAR requirements. All AR10's can also ignore the HBAR requirements as well.

Maryland compliance also involves a combination of: folding stocks, grenade launchers, flash hiders, etc. This applies to all AR type rifles.

Looks like i’ll have to mount the grenade launcher on my shotgun instead.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    Another vote for the S&W M&P 10.

What I liked about it:
    - Very accurate. I can get between 1 to 1.5 MOA using 155 grain Hornady Match at 200 yards
    - Ambidextrous controls means that you don't have to switch hand positions to lock the bolt back. If you are right handed, use your index finger to press the lower portion of the bolt release, and yank back on the charging handle to lock the bolt to the rear.
    - Uses inexpensive MAGPUL 308 mags, most of them pretty much do these days.
    - Light weight, 7.7 pounds out of the box.

What I didn't like about it:
    - Factory CAR style stock is not that great, and its on a Commercial diameter buffer tube. The tube will have to be changed out to use most of the stocks on the market. I put a Limbsaver brand rubber butt pad to absorb and dissipate the recoil
    - Proprietary barrel and bolt carrier means you can't use most of the "DPMS" dimension AR-10 parts
    - Charging handle latch is too small, and most aftermarket charging handles will require modification to fit
    - Ambi-safety started coming loose after 200 rounds
    -Trigger had a lot of creep which made it feel like a two stage trigger with a heavy first stage.
    - No sights are included, and since the gas block and front sight mount are integrated, this limits usage of metal front sights only.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have two Armalite AR-10 rifles...AR-10(T) and a standard AR-10 Carbine...both are excellent. I also have a Colt LE901-SE which is a superior AR-10 type rifle but is more expensive and a bit more difficult to find.

The biggest problem with the AR-10 platform is there's not much standardization in parts between brands...such as bolt carriers, charging handles and probably a few other parts.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    I have a PTR gen 2 I put together by ordering the upper and lower separately for $580. It was $399 for the upper with BCG and charging handle, the lower $179 with magpul furniture. I think they offer one for $159. Just keep watching and order when they offer free shipping. As has been mentioned, there is not a standard tooling like the MSR 15 platform. Mixing and matching different manufacturers' uppers and lowers are not always going to fit.
    If you dig the 308/7.62 X51 platform, consider the PTR91. I prefer it. Works flawlessly (it is one made at the SC facility). A satisfying thump in the shoulder, but not what I would call 'recoil'. Box stock it punches overlapping/touching holes at 100 yards.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    Another vote for the S&W M&P 10.

What I liked about it:
    - Very accurate. I can get between 1 to 1.5 MOA using 155 grain Hornady Match at 200 yards
    - Ambidextrous controls means that you don't have to switch hand positions to lock the bolt back. If you are right handed, use your index finger to press the lower portion of the bolt release, and yank back on the charging handle to lock the bolt to the rear.
    - Uses inexpensive MAGPUL 308 mags, most of them pretty much do these days.
    - Light weight, 7.7 pounds out of the box.

What I didn't like about it:
    - Factory CAR style stock is not that great, and its on a Commercial diameter buffer tube. The tube will have to be changed out to use most of the stocks on the market. I put a Limbsaver brand rubber butt pad to absorb and dissipate the recoil
    - Proprietary barrel and bolt carrier means you can't use most of the "DPMS" dimension AR-10 parts
    - Charging handle latch is too small, and most aftermarket charging handles will require modification to fit
    - Ambi-safety started coming loose after 200 rounds
    -Trigger had a lot of creep which made it feel like a two stage trigger with a heavy first stage.
    - No sights are included, and since the gas block and front sight mount are integrated, this limits usage of metal front sights only.

I have a M&P 10. I like it. I added a BCM charging handle , dropped right in no modifications, and a geissele SSA. Mine also came with a mil size buffer tube, I installed a magpul ACS-L. It's the only ar-10 style rifle I own

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Easy solution. Build the one you want, by acquiring the parts over time. I did the math for mine and it is going to run around 3-4k, including the optic. I already have the lower assembled, so now I get to start working on acquiring the upper parts.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Easy solution. Build the one you want, by acquiring the parts over time. I did the math for mine and it is going to run around 3-4k, including the optic. I already have the lower assembled, so now I get to start working on acquiring the upper parts.

Can’t buy a lower, not 21

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Buy all the parts you want to build the rifle now, then buy the stripped lower when you turn 21. :D

lol rather than having a box of expensive ar10 parts i think i’ll opt out for buying a complete rifle. i wouldn’t even know what to buy if I tried to get all the pieces today. Just not enough experience with ARs

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but does the OP actually have to be 21 to buy a stripped .308 lower? I only ask because when I purchased the sole .308 lower I own (bought an Aero Precision matched set), it was cash and carry, not treated like a pistol (this was post ban, in 2014 or 2015 I think). From my limited research, that is the correct way to transfer a stripped .308 lower, and it did transfer as "other." I would have been 31 or 32 at the time, so it never occurred to me to look at age minimums for "other". I guess that is a long way of saying I didn't realize there were age minimums for anything other than pistols and NFA items.

I guess I could write MSP a letter . . . *ducks*

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    To the OP, the only advice I would give is buy something that will facilitate your enjoyment of whatever you want to do with your rifle. A lot of folk turn their .308 builds into long range precision rigs. That is a great way to go, and what I originally wanted to do. But on a lark, I decided to go the "battle rifle" route instead. So I have an 8ish pound 16" gun that is just really a lot of fun to shoot in tactical bays as well as on the bench, and would be great for close to medium range hunting. Still capable out to 500 yards, and I enjoy it far more than if I had just built a big ol heavy PRS style gun. Which I will probably build eventually as well.

So make sure you buy or build what you really want and be realistic about what will bring you the most enjoyment (e.g. not much point in a "battle rifle" setup if you only have access to a range that does static paper target shooting from a bench), whatever you go with. I think the M&P10 is a fine idea for the money. Parting out long term for a precision gas gun is great too.

ETA: suggest going with a rifle that has DPMS large frame pattern compatibility. Magazine and aftermaket part support is excellent. DPMS "high" seems the most common, but I expect DPMS "low" compatibility would be fine too. Eventually you may want to upgrade, and if your gun is completely proprietary, that will be difficult.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    To the OP, the only advice I would give is buy something that will facilitate your enjoyment of whatever you want to do with your rifle. A lot of folk turn their .308 builds into long range precision rigs. That is a great way to go, and what I originally wanted to do. But on a lark, I decided to go the "battle rifle" route instead. So I have an 8ish pound 16" gun that is just really a lot of fun to shoot in tactical bays as well as on the bench, and would be great for close to medium range hunting. Still capable out to 500 yards, and I enjoy it far more than if I had just built a big ol heavy PRS style gun. Which I will probably build eventually as well.

So make sure you buy or build what you really want and be realistic about what will bring you the most enjoyment (e.g. not much point in a "battle rifle" setup if you only have access to a range that does static paper target shooting from a bench), whatever you go with. I think the M&P10 is a fine idea for the money. Parting out long term for a precision gas gun is great too.

ETA: suggest going with a rifle that has DPMS large frame pattern compatibility. Magazine and aftermaket part support is excellent. DPMS "high" seems the most common, but I expect DPMS "low" compatibility would be fine too. Eventually you may want to upgrade, and if your gun is completely proprietary, that will be difficult.

I doubt this will be my only AR10. I like the idea of a shorter 16” one that i’d throw a grip/acog or eotech on, thats something i’d probably build along with a maybe 20” version. If I went with the Windham it’d be the first rifle I really dedicated to distance shooting and would invest in a solid scope for. The rest of my rifles just have iron sights. I’m not as much of a fan of the M&P 10 just because of the railed gasblock and handguard. I definitely want a railed hanguard. No big deal either way, I know i’ll be buying plenty more in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom