• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Nice review. Any way we could get you to crono the ammunition you used?

I bet you know this, but, http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/

The fastest round used on that chart was Cor Bon 135 at 1711fps. The slowest was Federal HydroShock at 1209fps, for the High Point 17.5" barrel.

A foot/lb calculator for the Cor Bon works out to 877.5 ft/lb. I thought hogs were recommended to need 1200 ft/lbs.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I bet you know this, but, http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/

The fastest round used on that chart was Cor Bon 135 at 1711fps. The slowest was Federal HydroShock at 1209fps, for the High Point 17.5" barrel.

A foot/lb calculator for the Cor Bon works out to 877.5 ft/lb. I thought hogs were recommended to need 1200 ft/lbs.

MD deer hunting is 1200 ft/lbs minimum. I believe there is a round from Buffalo Bore that will get it done in a rifle

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=24

I've never tried it. Depends on the gun. Best case scenario, you get a lot of throat erosion and lots of free bore, maybe poor accuracy. Worst case scenario firing pin breaks or .40 does not chamber correctly and boom! Revolvers, probably. Glocks, maybe. Colt Delta 10mm or Bren Ten, I would not.

Hi-points, I am guessing no bueno.

Glock definitely... Do it all the time. Cheaper than 10MM, never had an issue. Worst case replace the barrel for $150

I have to get written confirmation of this but I was told by an NRP officer a few years back that hand gun caliber rifles use hand gun regulations not rifle regulations when considering muzzle energy...So a 10MM carbine would only have to produce 700 foot pounds, not 1200. He might have been incorrect but it makes logical sense. If I went into the woods with a Glock 10MM with a 6 inch barrel that only produces 710 foot pounds which is legal, why would it be required to have 1200 foot pounds from a carbine or rifle length barrel?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I have to get written confirmation of this but I was told by an NRP officer a few years back that hand gun caliber rifles use hand gun regulations not rifle regulations when considering muzzle energy...So a 10MM carbine would only have to produce 700 foot pounds, not 1200. He might have been incorrect but it makes logical sense. If I went into the woods with a Glock 10MM with a 6 inch barrel that only produces 710 foot pounds which is legal, why would it be required to have 1200 foot pounds from a carbine or rifle length barrel?

I agree. If you can get written confirmation, please post it :thumbsup:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    MD deer hunting is 1200 ft/lbs minimum. I believe there is a round from Buffalo Bore that will get it done in a rifle

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=24

Buffalo Bore should do the trick. :thumbsup:

Buffalo bore won't make 1200ftlb. The 180gr is their highest listed energy ammo. Would have to leave the muzzle at >1732fps to reach that. Isn't going to happen. BBTI actually lists that actual BB ammo and gets ~1570fps out of a rifle bbl. Not going to be able to squeeze 160fps more out of a different brand barrel.

Will be no problem if using the pistol energy rules as Muleskinner mentions.

[/B]

I agree. If you can get written confirmation, please post it :thumbsup:

I sent a request for confirmation. It seems contrived that they would require 1200 foot pounds from a rifle but only 700 from a pistol in the same caliber. I have a Glock 10mm with a 6inch barrel. I can get 718-725 Foot pounds from it depending on what ammo I use (Buffalo Bore and Double tap make a few loads that will reach that) There doesn't appear to be a lot of ballistic info on carbine length 10MM out there but I will assume since the barrel is 10 inches longer the bullet would travel about 300 FPS faster at the muzzle increasing the energy to around 1150 or so. (1700FPS, 180 grn bullet) Not legal to hunt deer in a carbine...it makes no sense..but of course this is Maryland so...

I'm just estimating numbers..I could be way off but using Buffalo Bore's charts it looks close.

Keep in mind you can legally hunt white tailed deer in Maryland with an AIRGUN that only reaches 400 foot pounds...So why must a pistol be 700 and a rifle reach 1200? (and for the record you can kill a deer with a 400 foot pound airgun...google Quakenbush airguns and go look at his gallery..They hunt much larger game with his guns and others like them)

Buffalo bore won't make 1200ftlb. The 180gr is their highest listed energy ammo. Would have to leave the muzzle at >1732fps to reach that. Isn't going to happen. BBTI actually lists that actual BB ammo and gets ~1570fps out of a rifle bbl. Not going to be able to squeeze 160fps more out of a different brand barrel.

Will be no problem if using the pistol energy rules as Muleskinner mentions.

BBTi lists a round that does 1701FPS from a 16 inch barrel.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I sent a request for confirmation. It seems contrived that they would require 1200 foot pounds from a rifle but only 700 from a pistol in the same caliber. I have a Glock 10mm with a 6inch barrel. I can get 718-725 Foot pounds from it depending on what ammo I use (Buffalo Bore and Double tap make a few loads that will reach that) There doesn't appear to be a lot of ballistic info on carbine length 10MM out there but I will assume since the barrel is 10 inches longer the bullet would travel about 300 FPS faster at the muzzle increasing the energy to around 1150 or so. (1700FPS, 180 grn bullet) Not legal to hunt deer in a carbine...it makes no sense..but of course this is Maryland so...

I'm just estimating numbers..I could be way off but using Buffalo Bore's charts it looks close.

Keep in mind you can legally hunt white tailed deer in Maryland with an AIRGUN that only reaches 400 foot pounds...So why must a pistol be 700 and a rifle reach 1200? (and for the record you can kill a deer with a 400 foot pound airgun...google Quakenbush airguns and go look at his gallery..They hunt much larger game with his guns and others like them)

Arbitrary as all hell yes, but it's been these 700 and 1200 energy numbers on handgun and rifle respectively for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom