• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've been out of the loop on this for a while. What is the current thinking on top performing 9mm defensive ammo? This will be for a Glock 19. Any hot new rounds in the last few years or just pick a quality JHP and go with it?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I use 147gr. Federal HST. Couldn't tell you if it's any better than Gold dots or similar, but it's what I have and what I've trained with.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I'm still using HPR Black Ops. Its very impressive in a gel block, but unfortunately they went out of business

ETA; I have a bunch of it and dont get into gun fights very often so I guess I'll be using it for a while :D

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I've been out of the loop on this for a while. What is the current thinking on top performing 9mm defensive ammo? This will be for a Glock 19. Any hot new rounds in the last few years or just pick a quality JHP and go with it?

*****I use Federal HST in my Glock 19's. I use the 19 for home defense with a light/laser combo until I can get to the room with the AR's, which have uhhh... different ammo.. :)

There is a lot of information out there regarding ballistics for Federal, Winchester, and Speer as a defensive round. They are all really good choices for home defense. I hope never to have to see how well they work in real life, but am confident based on all of the real world available data out there that any of the above mentioned are good choices.

Funny story here in MoCo. My HOA reps were in the Rockville courthouse this past week for the sentencing of our former property manager for embezzlement of funds over a period of years. She got 20 years (it was a LOT of money...), and as she was being led away in handcuffs to her new home in Hagerstown (I think.. or Jessup), her husband AND son start yelling at some of the HOA people who came to the sentencing that "You're NEXT!!!!" and making some very threatening gestures, profanities, etc... One of the HOA employees is an acquaintance of mine from the gym, and he said (I kid you not..) "OMG, he threatened ALL of us!!!, I'm gonna have a security camera system put in my home for safety!!!" :lol2: I guess he feels safer knowing there will be a record of how he and his family were attacked and possibly killed by folks that just threatened him... :sad20: He's a super liberal guy, and it amazed me that he didn't even think about self defense like pepper spray, an attack Yorkie or Poodle, or God forbid, a GUN... :shocked3:

It's a totally different mindset. "The Police will arrest him if he tries anything at my house! I have video footage!!!" :) Welcome to MoCo! "We have video footage!!!" :lol2:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Hornady CD's for me.

But on that sidebar ...

It's a totally different mindset. "The Police will arrest him if he tries anything at my house! I have video footage!!!" :) Welcome to MoCo! "We have video footage!!!" :lol2:

Attachments

• someone_in_house.jpg
      someone_in_house.jpg
      45.7 KB · Views: 818

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I use Hornady Critical Defense and Federal HST. May only concern is muzzle flash at night. I though there was brand out there that had little to no flash (When compared to others), but I can't remember the name.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Nothing really groundbreaking in the last few years, other than agencies generally shifting back to 9mm from larger calibers. I have always found heavy, non +p loads have the least flash/noise, little velocity loss in short barrels, and the top penetration numbers with good expansion. I initially went with the least expensive 50rd packaged, prevelent and available 147gr from a major manufacturer with good test data and frequent LE use, so Federal HSTs. Being I always run a couple boxes through any new pistol before I carry it, and practice with carry ammo that I rotate out, it would cost a lot to get the same experience with another brand or model, so no reason to change unless something truly great comes along.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I use Hornady Critical Defense and Federal HST. t. May only concern is muzzle flash at nigh I though there was brand out there that had little to no flash (When compared to others), but I can't remember the name.

Now that you mention it I had a thought.

How does defensive ammo tend to perform with a suppressor?

Suppressor would help with the muzzle flash obviously, but I'm talking about pressures and POI and baffle strike risks.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    You need to define your needs to pick the best overall round. Larger police agencies have to worry about penetration through auto glass, ricochets into crowded areas...all kinds of potential consequences not discounting costs. Smaller agencies tend to piggyback on larger agency purchases to get a discount or they use one brand and one brand only..."Low Bid".

For home and personal defense different criteria may apply...cost, recorded effectiveness in the field, penetration in the home, flash, etc. Define your needs and do some research before deciding. What I choose as best for my particular situation may not be best for someone else. First...100% reliability in the handgun it will be loaded in. Then comes controllability, accuracy and effectiveness. Effectiveness can change between winter and summer...what might be best in summer may not fully penetrate or expand when wearing layers of heavy winter clothing.

There's no magic bullet. Define your needs, buy what best fits those needs and...practice...practice...practice!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Hornady Critical Duty for full sized guns, Critical Defense for smaller guns. Hornady uses low flash powders in these loads. Both have plastic inserts to aid in expansion. I use Critical Defense in my CCW guns.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Nothing really groundbreaking in the last few years, other than agencies generally shifting back to 9mm from larger calibers. I have always found heavy, non +p loads have the least flash/noise, little velocity loss in short barrels, and the top penetration numbers with good expansion. I initially went with the least expensive 50rd packaged, prevelent and available 147gr from a major manufacturer with good test data and frequent LE use, so Federal HSTs. Being I always run a couple boxes through any new pistol before I carry it, and practice with carry ammo that I rotate out, it would cost a lot to get the same experience with another brand or model, so no reason to change unless something truly great comes along.
    What this nerd said. Plus all-copper DPX loads as well in 115 grain. 147 HST, 147 gold dot, and 115 +p DPX are all still top of the totum pole.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    What this nerd said. Plus all-copper DPX loads as well in 115 grain. 147 HST, 147 gold dot, and 115 +p DPX are all still top of the totum pole.

Thing is, I can find 50rd boxes of HSTs, Gold dots and Critical duty, all about $22 from a few places, most anything else starts costs at least twice as much per rd for the itty bitty 20rd civvie packaging, it's outdated like Hydrashocks or it's something few places carry, or are out of stock often. Underwood is cool, but figure the added pressure/blast/recoil, and lack of sealant relegate it to "fun" ammo, not defensive. I like to practice with my carry ammo, and rotate it out when it gets dinged up, much easier to do when $100 can get 200+ rounds that will last for months instead of a few rounds in tiny boxes that barely load up all the mags in my defensive firearms.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Thing is, I can find 50rd boxes of HSTs, Gold dots and Critical duty, all about $22 from a few places, most anything else starts costs at least twice as much per rd for the itty bitty 20rd civvie packaging, it's outdated like Hydrashocks or it's something few places carry, or are out of stock often. Underwood is cool, but figure the added pressure/blast/recoil, and lack of sealant relegate it to "fun" ammo, not defensive. I like to practice with my carry ammo, and rotate it out when it gets dinged up, much easier to do when $100 can get 200+ rounds that will last for months instead of a few rounds in tiny boxes that barely load up all the mags in my defensive firearms.
    First world problem

TOO MANY GUNS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom