• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 18, 2020
    I am a resident of Florida visiting family in PA. I am being gifted a USMI M-1 carbine that I plan to take back to Florida with me but part of my trip would normally go through MD. Is the M-1 carbine legal in MD. I will travel with no magazines due to capacity issues. It has a fixed wooden stock and a flash suppressor that I think are ok under MD law but better safe than sorry.
    Thank you for any info you might be able to provide.
    Steph

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    M-1 Carbine is good to go. Even to stop and shoot in MD. You could even buy one in MD.

Mags are OK. You may possess them in MD, you just cannot buy, sell, transfer, or make in MD.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Legal even with mags. Mags are just a sales ban, not possession.

May 18, 2020
    Thank you. It is such a beautiful rifle in awesome condition, Inland Marine that I hate to leave it in PA or take the long way home to avoid MD

May 18, 2020
    Thank you. It is such a beautiful rifle in awesome condition, Inland Marine that I hate to leave it in PA or take the long way home to avoid MD

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I am a resident of Florida visiting family in PA. I am being gifted a USMI M-1 carbine that I plan to take back to Florida with me but part of my trip would normally go through MD. Is the M-1 carbine legal in MD. I will travel with no magazines due to capacity issues. It has a fixed wooden stock and a flash suppressor that I think are ok under MD law but better safe than sorry.
    Thank you for any info you might be able to provide.
    Steph

Travelling through MD, you are covered under federal law, via FOPA. There are states (NJ) that seem to not recognize FOPA, but Maryland is not one of them.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Travelling through MD, you are covered under federal law, via FOPA. There are states (NJ) that seem to not recognize FOPA, but Maryland is not one of them.

THIS^^^^^

FOPA allows transport of firearms THROUGH any state.
    Even if banned by that state law.

SO LONG AS
    • the transporting person is not prohibited from possessing firearms.
    • the end destination is not within said state.
    • all laws regarding secure transport of said firearms within that state are followed while traveling through said state.

So... packing up in Pennsylvania - traveling through Maryland - in-route to Florida... shouldn’t be a problem.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act
    One of the law's provisions (codified in section 926A of title 18 of the U.S. Code) was that persons traveling from one place to another have a defense for any state firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gasoline), provided that the individual is not otherwise prohibited from possession of a firearm, the firearms and ammunition are not readily accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom