• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gtrnn

Apr 9, 2020
    How did you have your high capacity magazines transferred with the gun?
    Went to pick up CZ Shadow 2 today and I'm told that this FFL wouldn't put magazine block to make it ten rounds and would not transfer magazines otherwise. Not wanting to send to VA address either. I asked if she can keep the base plates and I'll take home mag tubes, spring and feeder (aka not magazine) andbuy new base plates since this will be for a competition anyway. Nope.
    I asked her to send to the other FFL in MD that may be willing to do something. We shall see.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I think short answer is you don’t.

Either buy something without mags, with 10 rounders, have the ffl remove them and maybe give you a discount but I think most won’t.

Accept the loss and go out of state and buy them.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If I remember correctly, some level of our ruling overlords (probably MSP) recently decided that it was illegal for the MD FFL to even offer to send the mags out of state for you.

We need to change the laws. Step 1 is changing the people who make the laws. Vote Dem Out!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You can't have them transferred in MD, lol. MDSP told FFLs not to send out of state too. Nor can they give you the parts knowing the intent is to reassemble them.

The inability to block the magazine is the only real complaint.... keep in mind though proper magazine blockage requires epoxy and is permanent.

Where I got my standard size magazines.... Virginia.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I recall MD sent out a letter stating an FFL can't ship a magazine to you or anyone else when its part of a purchase. Maybe someone can dig that up who knows where it is.
    Really you as the buyer have to figure this stuff out ahead of time unfortunately and ask questions before anything starts.
    Like if you buy online and ship to local FFL, you have to ask the supplier if they will ship to FFL, then you have to ask the local FFL if they will block to compliance. YOU can then do what you need to do in order to stay legal in compliance with MD laws.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    what would the mags cost separately? maybe worth it for you to let them just keep the mags vs cost of shipping the gun and another transfer etc.

unfortunately, that's the kind of stuff you need to get worked out with your proposed ffl before you have the gun shipped to them.

maybe if you gave them a prepaid usps flat rate box, they'd mail the mags to a buddy in va or pa?

Gtrnn

Apr 9, 2020
    She won't reassemble or modify anything about magazine. I bought online from out of state website which is a lot cheaper. I looked at what the law says. According to the advisory memo on Sep 25, 2013 from MSP stated that Maryland licensed dealer may modify the detachable magazine as long as the magazine is not capable of being readily converted to original capacity.
    Unless something has changed from that advisory

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    ...Maryland licensed dealer may modify the detachable magazine as long as the magazine is not capable of being readily converted to original capacity.
    Unless something has changed from that advisory

The dealer may do it but they don't have to. Their store, their rules. It's way too much risk for them. You should have checked their policy before shipping. Accept the loss of the mags and move on.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Really? That doesn't seem to agree with what I may or may not have seen

So just to clarify it needs to be permanent. There are other ways to block a mag that don't involve epoxy. Atlantic Guns sent me an abomination involving a giant grommet in MP5 mags. :lol2:

The plastic that blocks the follower should be epoxied.

Its all good, the price paid for Maryland absurdity.

Sirex