• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Look at YHM. Excellent cans and very affordable.

I have a model that is no longer in production, so I can't recommend it, per se, so I'll leave the research to you. Mine has zero POI change on every gun I use it on.

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    I’d suggest getting one from an established company if you are looking at a QD mount. Don’t want to invest then have the company go away or change their system and you can’t get another mount.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Well what do you want to accomplish with it?

Super quiet vs take the edge off

Lightweight?

Rapid fire?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Hearing protection.

Well you should still be wearing hearing protection even with a suppressor. It probably won't be a big deal shoot suppressed without hearing protection for a time or two, like hunting or home defense, but I believe it still will damage the ears if you do it a lot. Except for suppressed subsonic .22, which is like a pellet gun.

I think smaller cans are good for this application when you are wearing ears anyway but still want to protect hearing. My AR or bolt action unsupressed is still damm loud even with ear pro because of the roof at my range. It's not nearly as bad in an open field though. A 5" suppressor makes it fine everywhere for me as the shooter with ear protection. It will still be loud to other people nearby.

Let's figure a 5.56 is like 167 decibels. Common ear pro is only 23 decibel reduction. That's still pretty damn loud to me. A small suppressor will reduce it ANOTHER 20-30 decibels.

These might for your wish list:
    YHM Turbo K, Rugged Micro30, silencerco Harvester (not rated for rapid fire...only good for shooting slow and letting it cool)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well you should still be wearing hearing protection even with a suppressor. It probably won't be a big deal shoot suppressed without hearing protection for a time or two, like hunting or home defense, but I believe it still will damage the ears if you do it a lot. Except for suppressed subsonic .22, which is like a pellet gun.

I think smaller cans are good for this application when you are wearing ears anyway but still want to protect hearing. My AR or bolt action unsupressed is still damm loud even with ear pro because of the roof at my range. It's not nearly as bad in an open field though. A 5" suppressor makes it fine everywhere for me as the shooter with ear protection. It will still be loud to other people nearby.

Let's figure a 5.56 is like 167 decibels. Common ear pro is only 23 decibel reduction. That's still pretty damn loud to me. A small suppressor will reduce it ANOTHER 20-30 decibels.

YHM Turbo K, Rugged Micro30, silencerco Harvester (not rated for rapid fire...only good for shooting slow and letting it cool)
    Agreed on all counts. :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

The US does not have standards for impact noise (short duration noises), but Canada does.

They allow up to 100 impact events per day, not to exceed 140 dBA.

So, my .308 with ThunderBeast CB9 is about 133 dBA. So, I am probably OK with up to 100 rounds per day without additional hearing protection.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The US does not have standards for impact noise (short duration noises), but Canada does.

They allow up to 100 impact events per day, not to exceed 140 dBA.

So, my .308 with ThunderBeast CB9 is about 133 dBA. So, I am probably OK with up to 100 rounds per day without additional hearing protection.

Assuming your .308 is a bolt action, that brings up another point. It probably is much more hearing safe than a semi-automatic like the AR-10 to the shooters ear. I don't even like shooting subsonic ammo from a semi auto for too many shots. It rings the ears from ejection port pop.

Oh and yes I will be wearing rear protection, I'm trying not to scare the neighbors horses.

In that case, maybe you DO want to consider more quiet. A 5" K can will be plenty fine to the shooter with ear protection, but is still pretty damn loud to everyone else. Still, supersonic ammo is hard to get quiet anyway.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In that case, maybe you DO want to consider more quiet. A 5" K can will be plenty fine to the shooter with ear protection, but is still pretty damn loud to everyone else. Still, supersonic ammo is hard to get quiet anyway.
    It's all relative. If you shoot from some kind of redout, you'll want to wear hearing pro because of the confined space, especially shooting supersonic ammo.

When I shoot out in the open, I never feel the need for pro. You will get loudish feedback as the sonic 'crack' echos back at you. It may be surprisingly loud, but missing will be that ear-shattering muzzle blast. Once you get an ear for it, you will hear the firecracker crack of your muzzle bast, such as it is, then the reverberation of the sonic crack, thereafter.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom