• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Hi all,

I've taken quite a few firearms and other defense-related classes over the last 3-4 years.

Generally speaking, I'm used to the bigger names in the training industry commanding $450-550 per 2 day (~16 hours) class. Examples of instructors I've trained with who charge these amounts would be Mike Pannone, Kyle Defoor, Craig Douglas, Jeff Gonzales, Paul Howe, Kerry Davis, and Steve Fisher. A few I've trained with charge a bit less (John Murphy, Suarez International, Center Mass Combat Tactics).

I am on the email list for Free State for their classes. Their Tac Pistol and Tac Rifle 1 classes are $250 each for 4 hours each (if you sign up for both they knock off $50 each). Still, they are essentially charging twice the "going rate" for such classes.

Are people going to these classes? Are the classes filling? Is each class combo-taught by Robert Vogel, Rob Leatham, Kyle Lamb, and Larry Vickers?

Confused....

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Hahahahaha I love a good call out

Haha. Not trying to be a d*ck. I like FreeState, although whenever I go its either packed or they're letting some security company do quals, closing the range for half a day and spoiling my drive over. But it's a good range. Just wondering if they didn't do their homework on this (?). OTOH, if the classes are full, then I guess the market has decided.:shrug:

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I'm not sure how those security companies afford that range. I asked a while back about just using one lane for qualifications, they didn't even have to close the range I just wanted one lane. The price they quoted me was quite high.

TD

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Haha. Not trying to be a d*ck. I like FreeState, although whenever I go its either packed or they're letting some security company do quals, closing the range for half a day and spoiling my drive over. But it's a good range. Just wondering if they didn't do their homework on this (?). OTOH, if the classes are full, then I guess the market has decided.:shrug:

I've enjoyed shooting their game night events but same thing except it's an hour and 15 drive for me only to find out they are booked. I feel like I shouldn't have to call ahead if business hours listed on the site tell me they are open from X-X.

I belong to Gilbert's and their hours kind of suck but I believe it's due to the accommodation of the companies and classes. They don't open until 3 most days.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    I am a member there, and I shoot there a lot, maybe 2/3 a week.With that in mind, I took their Defensive pistol I/II course a while ago. It was a great class with great instructors.

It does look like their classes fill up. But consider the area. White Marsh/ Perry Hall right around the corner, a lot of people with disposable income. I haven't taken any of the revamped courses due to the cost, I'd prefer to spend my money on a more "tactically offensive" course than what is being offered there, maybe from someone with operational experience. Not saying anything about the instructors at Free State, like I said, Dane and Chris were great and I learned alot. But seems like everything else is either PA or VA for me, and deep enough that its not around the corner.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I would assume they are not marketing to the same consumer as the well known "traveling" instructors. 500 bucks gets you almost more training than you can hanlde in a weekend.

Thanks for the list by the way.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Two things I ask.

1. What is the experience of the instructors?

2. For those who say a class is good, what is their experience? Any novice taking something other than the NRA basic course, I would imagine ANY course not that one is good or great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom